Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After yet another failed try at an antispasmodic treatment I am going to see my GP about trying something else.The last time I visited he suggested anti depressants,he mentioned SSRIs specifically but I said I'd tried Amitryptiline but they did nothing but make me drowsy and didn't help my IBS at all.He said there were others which didn't have that side effect.I've done a little bit of 'googling' and have discovered that SSRI's help more with people C predominent IBS while SNRI's are the ones that help the people like myself with the looser or D based IBS.Is this correct and does anybody have any experience of taking SNRI's?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yes I would say that is generally corect. Please see our Antidepressant, Antispasmodic, Antidiarreal Forum for more info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My gastro doctor also told me that some people on Lexapro have benefitted if they have IBS. I started Lexparo and my GI symptoms did get better, however, now with my reflux and stomach are real bad for other reasons. I think it's worth a try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
jmc09I have been taking Bentyl for spasms since Feb 1. Don't really see anything different. I started on generic Celexa yesterday. My dr also felt that anti-depressant might help with the anxiety (which causes the flare ups). Hope you get relief.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BQ thanks for the redirect.I hadnt noticed the medication specific forums before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts