Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I need some advice regarding Anti-Depressents please. 1. Here is the sitch, I have IBS-D and have tried many an AD but with no joy.THe types of AD's that i have got from the doc are either knocking me out cold so i can not function and am tired all the time or they keep me awake but still don;t let me function cos they give me migraines. The two main ones are Trazadone - Knocks me out and Citalopram - Keeps me awake. I need to find an AD that is middle ground and that works. Can you please advise on this. What AD that works for you, strength or AD and any other info you can give please.2. Has anybody tried Morphine? I have read up on it and people are taking it. I asked my doc but he said he wouldn't give me any due to my age. As im 32 years old he won't give me any.Has anybody tried the tablets, WHat strength and how old are you?If you could please get back to me re this then i would really appreciate it as i am very depressed about the whole IBS sitch.Thank youAhmed

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You might try an SNRI rather than a SSRI, may be less likely to keep you awake. Effexor or Cymbalta. Cymbalta is also approved for some other pain conditions.Tricyclics can make people sleepy, but the secondary amine ones tend to have fewer side effects like drowsiness (and you should still take at bed time when you want to be sleepy anyway). desipramine is the one in that group most commonly used for IBS.The problem with narcotics, especially long term for chronic abdominal pain is over time they can make the abdominal pain nerves much much more sensitive to pain and you get much worse pain than ever each time the narcotic wears off. So they usually won't use them for IBS-pain.Some people will get them for diarrhea so bad that nothing else controls it and they need to get out of the bathroom at least a few hours a day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I take Zoloft 75 mg. I had to start really low and work my way up because my system didn't want to take it at first but it has helped me a lot. I take it a couple hours before I go to bed because it does make me sleepy but I feel fine in the morning. I don't really have any side effects, except for the 1st couple of days while my system is adjusting, but everyone is different. It is worth a shot. I was on 50 mg for a while and just recently had the dose upped because of the IBS and I have panic attacks. Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Thank you for your replies, appreciated. I have tried Effexor but that did not agree with me at all. Made me worse so i had to stop taking them. PLus it was alot like Citalopram and that wasn't ideal for me in the end. Was just wondering if there is a middle ground AD? Its either the type that makes you fall asleep or the type that keeps you up. If you have any more info or know anybody that has tried different AD that might be what i am looking for then please advise.Thank you Ahmed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.