Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've taken a few antispasmodics, Bentyl was one of them. Constipation is one of the unfortunate side effects (at least for me). I�m taking Librax right now, which did seem to have the same side effect so I increased my fiber intake. I find a daily dose of Metamucil works best. It takes a few days to see the change but it may help you. I noticed other postings that also report good results with Metamucil.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Short answer, yes, definitely! I'm not taking bentyl, but I am taking cantil (anti spasmodic) I've found over time, it works best for me taking my medication PRN (as needed) as opposed to x amount of times per day, every day.I don't know when you are seeing your gastro again, but do discuss this with him/her. It might do you well to just call the gastro's office and tell them the medication at the 3 x per day dosage is making you constipated. Perhaps the doctor will adjust the dosage, or change your medication.Sorry, but I have no personal experience with Levsin, so I have no idea if that is contributing to the constipation. Maybe someone else here knows about the side effects of Levsin and will let you know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In my situation I was already IBS-C before Librax. Having a daily BM is essential for me, otherwise I'm setting myself up for a spasm attack that will not stop until the colon is completely emptied out.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Hi Marriah, I take the generic version of Levsin hyoscyamine. I too have IBS-C. While the medication definately has a drying effect, in my particular case the medication is not the real source of my constipation.I had a gynecology problem that involved my colonand consequently there appears to be a crink in my colon where it used to be wrapped around and attached to the ovary.At the beginning of my 3rd week into healing from my hysterectomy I had a big ol nasty bowel shut down with an impaction that sent me to the ER and I was quickly taken in for Emergency surgery.It was such a bad impaction that the Colon surgeon told my husband that he was amazed that he did not have to do a resection.I stayed on the hospital from monday through thursday.My bowels and urine function refused to work after the emergency surgery and even after the administration of lots and lots of laxatives my body functions just said NO.The colon doctor took all my meds away and so I sat and suffered for a few days. He took all the meds away because he thought that medication had caused my impaction. On the final day my nurse came in and asked me what was going on because I was looking pretty bad. Basically, I just broke down in tears and told her how bad I hurt.she told me to talk to the surgeon and demand some meds because I was going down hill pretty fast. I have hypertension too and that was not looking good either.I was finally given hyoscyamine, xanax and a demerol and phenergrin injection and then I was told to drink a gallon of golytely.Well, all that finally did the trick and my body functions returned and I went home.Ever since then, I take my hyoscyamine when I need it because beyond constipation, my problems relates more to spasms that lock up my gut and shut down my urine function no matter how prudent I am about drinking water and eating fiber.And believe me, I drink plenty water and eat a huge amount of fiber.So even though hyoscyamine is drying, It is the very substance that keeps me out of crisis because I am an IBS case that needs anti spasmodics. It's a tough compromise.I've been given a prescription of miralax which helps to keep the moisture in the bowel. It works better than metamucil for me.However, before I got my miralax, metamucil was one of the things that came close to helping.Also, pre miralax days, I found that some good Aloe vera juice was helpful too.I like Fruit of the Earth that I have found in the gallon jug at Wal Mart. Aloe is one of those nice slipery substances that helps the contents of the gut pass smoothly. It's just not enough for my particular situation.I've always liked olive oil and even before my bowel problems, and I used olive oil for everything from cooking to using the light uncented kind for my skin. I also find that when the corner of my gut that resides in the left corner of my pelvis (right at the pelvic bone) gets icky and feeling stuck, I can help the process by soaking a cotton piece of fabric (preferably flannel) and placing the olive oil soaked cloth over my "stuck" part and apply a warm heating pad.I have found the darker more green olive oil to be of better help than the lighter kind.So for me, keeping my bowels going is a work in prgress.I have found that just blaming meds is sometimes not the only answer to a bad problem. Maybe certain meds contribute, but sometimes, I think we need to investigate our problems from a lot of levels and possibly troubleshoot from a lot of levels.Hope some of this info helps.Kamie

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
P.S. oh, one more thought about nausea.I get nausea too when I'm having a back up. I get this whole left side trauma that begins as nausea and then starts looking like I'm having a heart attack with the pain in the left arm and shoulder.In addition to the gazillion things I've been given sice my hysterectomy I was recently put on Xanax 3x a day to go with my HBP meds 3x a day.Xanax has an anti spasmodic quality and it helps greatly in relieving my nausea.It's a medication a lot of doctors do not like to give because it is highly addictive.They are "socially" better with giving hyoscyamine 3 x a day no matter how drying it can be.I never feel dry with xanax. It just works on the spasm. It's too bad it's such a difficult drug.I often try to skip my xanax because I have this whole fear that one day a doctor is going to decide that I'm addicted and take it away from me.You know how it gets when ones emergencies have been so scary. You get to worrying about what's going to happen if you don't have your medication.Anyway, I keep getting fusssed at by ALL my doctors for not taking my xanax every day and right on time.However, with the hyoscyamine, I try to use it when I feel the first signs of pressure in my bladder because it is so drying.My prescription is for 3x a day too but I often skip doses there too.No one fusses at me about my hyoscyamine and they tend to agree that even though the prescription reads 3x a day that taking it as needed is fine.Kamie

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys, thanks for your responses. The thing with the Bentyl is that I have tried taking it as needed, but by the time I relized I needed it, I would soon be throwing it back up. Right now, my GI's theory is that I start having very bad spasms in my colon. Then it starts backing up until it reaches my stomach, which starts to spasm too. Because of the spasming and the fact that the stuff in my stomach has no where to go, I start throwing up violently. And diarrhea at the same time.So, since none of the treatments aimed at stopping my attacks have worked, we decided to try prevention. That is why I have to take it 3 times a day, to prevent my digestive tract fromeven thinking of spasming, because once that happens, theres no turning back. It takes at least 12 hours of hell- neasuea, vomiting, pain, uncontrollable diarrhea, until it finally starts to abate.I am already on zanax. It hasnt really been helping lately as far as anxiety goes, so I havent been taking it as much.The past couple day are the first I've had with this pain from being constipated. Its not fun.Kamie, have you ever throw up because of your IBS?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It sounds like the doseage at 3 times per day is working for everything overall, other than the C you're experiencing lately. If you're not getting violently ill as a result taking the medication as prescribed, that's the most important thing.Are you drinking enough fluids during the day? I know when I take cantil, it can really dry me out. It's very important to drink enough water to keep your bowels moving. And how about the fiber in your normal diet? Have you tried increasing fiber to see if it helps? I know some people have mentioned prune juice to get you going. I've never tried prune juice myself, but I did have success eating prunes in the evening (2 was enough to work for me) Have you tried any over the counter fiber supplements? I know C can make you very uncomfortable. And finally, here's a bump for your question to Kamie.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Marriah, Yes, I have had bouts with vomiting with my inner spasms.I've had a couple of different situations with it too.In fact, I just had a bout with that stuff last week.I started having a rapid pulse, my BP shot up, I got the whole tingly ick feeling and then we had to pull over and stop the car so I could vomit.However, when everything came up for the vomit my throat spazed out and shut off to the point my vomit was forced back down into my stomach.We were out and far away from a hospital so I took my meds when I could breathe again and by the time we got back into town I needed to have a BM and I had a huge big BM and then the symptoms sub sided. OF COURSE by the time I saw my doctor a day later, my pulse was back down to a good level because the spasm was gone from the meds I take and I was back to having a BM that felt complete.I had another really really bad spasm incident that involved both vomiting and urinating at the same time because my spasm was so bad that I simply had no control of the urine function. I wound up in the shower doing my thing because that was the only place I could save a lot of after clean up trouble and who the heck wants to mop the floor after a spasm like that.That one was before my hysterectomy and since the removal of my troubled organs and massive adhesions and endo, the vomiting and spasms have gotten a lot better. I actually thought it had gone away until very recently.But then, I have one ovary still in my body and that thing has started hurting like the one that got removed and my bouts seeem to be linked to my achy pelvis once again.I am currently in the process of getting an appointment with the gynecologist.Kamie

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kamie, how long do your episodes last? Mine are always at least 12 hours. The last time I was sick, I had DD almost 30 times in a day, all while throwing up. LOL, you do the shower thing, too? So much easier clean-up huh?Whats the dosage of Levsin youre on? (I'm on the generic,too, but Levsin is a whole lot easier to spell.) Is it the kind you put under your tounge?bobo, thanks for replying. Well, as far as the meds and dosages go, I'm just going to have to wait and see. The problem with my IBS is that my episodes can happen either every week or months between. So, if I dont get sick for a year, I'll believe that its actually working.
As far as fiber goes, I take the natural psyllium husks. It used to do me good, as far as my bm's go, but now, it just hasnt been helping. I do need to up my water intake, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.