Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a gas problem. I want to try a course of antibiotics followed by a "IBS board" approved probiotic. I have seen many antobiotic sugesstions on here. Can anyone who has luck with any of them post which one worked for them and for how long ?Also, should the probiotic be taken after the antibiotics, or with it ?Also, did anyone have side effect from the antobiotic in which the gas smell got worse or better ?Thank you

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
SickofIBS, there are some concerns here big time. You should be tested for gas and for Bacterial overgrowth, but to take antibiotics for IBS gas is a bad thing for a lot of reasons. One they kill all bacteria good and bad, two there are somewhat implicated as a cause for some peoples IBS. Second when your done with the course all bacteria comes back again. It is probably better just to take a probiotic and see what happens, but to take antibiotics without tests for the amount of gas,or for BO, is not a good idea and will probably aggravate the symptoms of your IBS if not make it worse.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
SickofIBS, there are some concerns here big time. You should be tested for gas and for Bacterial overgrowth, but to take antibiotics for IBS gas is a bad thing for a lot of reasons. One they kill all bacteria good and bad, two there are somewhat implicated as a cause for some peoples IBS. Second when your done with the course all bacteria comes back again. It is probably better just to take a probiotic and see what happens, but to take antibiotics without tests for the amount of gas,or for BO, is not a good idea and will probably aggravate the symptoms of your IBS if not make it worse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.