Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great News Everyone! on April 13,2006 WNBC TV had a special on their news segment about IBS treatment at New York's Weill Cornell Medical Center. Basically the MD Discussed the fact that this is a BACTERIA!...Yes! BACTERIA! Everyone has this "Bacteria" in the normal person they are able to expel it....Those with IBS Symptoms: Stomachaches, pain, gas, belching, burping, bloating, crampy abdominal pain and diarrhea, Feels that the symptoms can be traced to intestines that don't move or work the way they're suppose to. if they move too slowly, bloating or constipation can arise, if they move too quickly, it can cause diarrhea.Since bacteria are the problem, an anitibiotic such as Rifamaxin may be the answer. this drug isn't absorbed by the body, but targets bacteria in the gut. minimizing side effects. A Study in the American Journal of Gastroenterology found that IBS patients given this antibiotic had significant easing of their symptoms. For the first time patients are coming in telling the Doctor they are cured after a course of antibiotics. People who were interviewed said that this drug has greatly improved their life.So I had to share this with everyone here...
)Maybe the answer we are looking for. Please speak with your Doctor's about this.I personally have an appointment with this MD on Tuesday hopefully I will be a candidate for this medication....Please write me if you have any questions or check wnbc.com april 13,2006 Dr. Max Gomez's story on IBS.. Good Luck Everyone!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
This isn't really new news. This is a condition called SIBO.Its JUST SPECULATION at this point.Many other centers have not found what some centers have reported. There are a variety of reasons for this, including testing methods.But people should perhaps be tested for sibo.The media and some medical establishments are using "Extremelt forwar comments" and not all the IBS information.There is a forum all about this on the bb here. The SIBO forum.This is the articleAntibiotic May Be Answer To IBShttp://www.wnbc.com/health/8676051/detail.htmlThey don't even call it sibo in the article, but IBS.
Is there a relationship between IBS and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth?"Although the theory that SIBO causes IBS is tantalizing and there is much anecdotal information that supports it, the rigorous scientific studies that are necessary to prove or disprove the theory have just begun. Nevertheless, many physicians have already begun to treat patients with IBS for SIBO. In addition, a lack of rigorous scientific studies demonstrating benefit from antibiotics and probiotics has not stopped physicians from using them for treating patients.""Although it has been hypothesized that IBS may be caused by intestinal bacteria, specifically by small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, there is little rigorous scientific support for the hypothesis. "http://www.medicinenet.com/irritable_bowel...drome/page7.htm"The most popular theory is that patients with irritable bowel syndrome have a subtle abnormality in the function of their intestinal muscles that allows SIBO to occur." http://www.medicinenet.com/small_intestina...rowth/page5.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm a new member who HAD IBS-D but now it seems to be changing to alternate B&D. (I preferred D!) Anyway, my Gastro Doc is at Cornell and gave me Xifaxan and it DID help my gas and D immediately. I felt GREAT. But the instant I stopped taking it after the ten day course it all came back. If I take it it does help the D and I feel great but it's not a one time thing.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
breezespeak Some people may have IBS and SIBO.RoseS "I was very happy to see that the media was reporting on IBS"From that it looks like they were reporting on SIBO and left out a lot of IBS information.April was IBS awareness month.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My doctor prescribed an antibiotic 21 days ago, I have had no improvement at all. So it might work for some, but I don't think I'm one of them. But I will be hoping that you have better luck than I did.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I see it like this--I think it was extremely premature for Pimental to write a book that encourages rampant use of antibiotics. As seen by people here, either the antibiotics don't work or they do only for a short time(2 weeks to 8 months), as was shown in the trials.Or you can take low-dose rifaximin indefinitely, every day, like one bb member.A problem that is seen in IBS is low beneficial bacteria, which would normally fight off the offending facultive bacteria that like to take over. When the good guys are low, the bad buys overtake.Just killing all the bad guys doesn't fix the low beneficial bacteria, so depending on everyone's enteric bacteria levels, it doesn't make a dent, or the remaining low probiotic/beneficials fight off the new offenders as long as possible...but it doesn't last.And in an age where people left & right are getting antibiotic-resistannt infections, either acute or chronic, I think its morally irresponsible of Pimental to do this. But it helps to understand his reasoning when you consider his research has been funded by the drug makers of each drug he pushes recommends.My theory any ways...(The following is also my Opinion based on Research~~But I do agree BACTERIA is the root of the problem.)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Where did you find the papers where he states he is funded by grants from drug companies? Usually you have to state funding sources for published papers.Of the full articles I checked on line most of his recent stuff was funded by the Beatrice and Samuel A. Seaver Foundation, which is not a drug company.It may be from other papers, but just because someone uses a drug in a trial doesn't mean the funding for the trial came from the drug company. This is often true in the trials leading up to approval.K.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Well, the information isn't easy to find that's for sure. Here's one "for instance"~~Source: Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterPosted: November 9, 2005"...Researchers at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center have found that a nonabsorbable antibiotic â€" one that stays in the gut â€" may be an effective long-term treatment for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS),...Rifaximin is made by Salix Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Funding for the study was provided by Salix Pharmaceuticals, Inc." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/...51109181127.htm__________________________However, because this is usually the case, I don't think this fact in & of itself discredits the research. Though it does reveal a mutual benefit from positive slants.But writing a -book- saying there's a -solution- for IBS that involves the Rxg of said drug is taking this to a new level. Can't think of a more major way to mutually benefit both author & the pharm's...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Another problem w/ Pimental's protocol~Science News, Dec 23, 2000 by N. Seppa"Gastroenterologist John O. Hunter of Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, England, rates the study as "interesting." However, he says that the work doesn't firmly establish that the hydrogen detected is being produced by bacteria in the small intestine rather than the large intestine.He also notes that the lower gut harbors "a complex little ecosystem." Antibiotics can destroy valuable bacteria in the large intestine and throw the system off balance, Hunter cautions."

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI Talissa, you obviously know much more about this than I do, but my doc at Cornell said that Xifaxan does not go into the blood stream at all and stays only in 'the gut" in that way, perhaps it is different from other antibiotics...whether or not it messes up the flora or bacteria in the gut is another issue. you seem very knowlegable mind if i ask you a question? Do you know if the pain of IBS ever feels like Ovarian Pain? I'm confused what I am feeling lately and i never had pain or constipation before. I took an immodium around 8 days ago which led to a real change in habits. Could the pain be from constipation? Wouldn't it feel better after evacuation? Well just taking a stab at it with you cause you seem to know a thing or two! Gwenn

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Although Pimental didn't invent treating SIBO with antibiotics. I don't know that I can fault him for using antibiotics to treat it. I do think that people should push to get tested before just randomly trying antibiotics, although testing is not available in all areas.Standard treatment for SIBO for other diseases that cause it basically is antibiotics a few times a year to keep it under control, but we are talking people that have some problem that causes severe SIBO often to where they aren't getting nutrition and at that point you medically may need to take those measures to keep people healthy. Although abstracts are not available for most of the older papers, the medical lit using antibiotics in SIBO goes back at least to the 1970's if not earlier.K.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hey Gwenn, I'm sorry to hear abt your new pain. Though I actually think re: the pain, I should defer your Q to Kathleen, if she doesn't mind. She's much more knowledgeable in this area. Offhand I'd have to ask if this is the middle of your cycle, ovulation? The pain is midsection, lower ab area? Then maybe it is ovarian pain.I've never taken imodium so I don't know if this is cause or not. When I first went high dose fiber, I had pains that felt like constipation pains, but it was just my intestines adjusting to a healthy amt of fiber...The probiotic l reuteri has been shown to help with IBS pain...Re: Xifaxan/Rifaximin...it is good that there's relatively little of the drug that gets into the bloodstream. This greatly lowers the risk of side effects that other antibiotics carry, like tendonitis & peripheral neuropathy. However, as to disrupting microflora, there's still a risk of "superinfection" w/ Rifaximin from antibiotic resistant bacteria. I can't find any studies detailing which bacteria, but here's an example of the warning~~"May promote intestinal bacterial overgrowth and cause superinfection; discontinue if diarrhea persists >24-48 h or worsens; seek immediate medical care if fever and/or bloody stools emerge (tablets not effective); not effective for travelers' diarrhea due to suspected pathogens other than E coli; postmarketing reports include allergic dermatitis, rash, angioneurotic edema, urticaria, and pruritus"http://master.emedicine.com/med/topic734.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi...my name is Rose and I was at Cornell Yesterday where I met my New Doc. I have IBS-D I have been treated with Robinul from my former Doc for over one year...My new Doc put me on Xifaxan 200mg. two tabs twice a day for 10 days. I also have that pain that feels like ovarian pain.and she also put me on florastor to begin that when Im finished with antibiotic... did your Doctor give you anything for the pain? . Hope it works for you. please let me know how your doing.
quote:Originally posted by breezespeak:HI Talissa, you obviously know much more about this than I do, but my doc at Cornell said that Xifaxan does not go into the blood stream at all and stays only in 'the gut" in that way, perhaps it is different from other antibiotics...whether or not it messes up the flora or bacteria in the gut is another issue. you seem very knowlegable mind if i ask you a question? Do you know if the pain of IBS ever feels like Ovarian Pain? I'm confused what I am feeling lately and i never had pain or constipation before. I took an immodium around 8 days ago which led to a real change in habits. Could the pain be from constipation? Wouldn't it feel better after evacuation? Well just taking a stab at it with you cause you seem to know a thing or two! Gwenn

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.