Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I have IBS and had a flare up this past spring. I had small amounts of blood with mucous, loose stool, stc. so I had a colonoscopy will was normal. At the end of August I was put on cephalexin for another problem and after 4 days developed D and a low grade fever. This went away in a few days so I thought the worst was over. I had stopped taking the cephalexin. About a week or so later, I started having really bad symptoms. In reading more about cephalexin, I learned about pseudomembranous colitis which seemed to describe what I had. However, I have just been told that my stool samples did not show that so now I do not know what to do! Could it just be a really bad flare up of my IBS still brought on by the antibiotic? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am waiting to hear from my internist as to what to do next. Thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Could also be food poisoning or a viral GI infection.Blood can aslo be from hemmaroids and fissures and increased diarrhea can set those off so they bleed. If it doesn't stop or the amounts are large you could also have a polyp or growth somewhere in the GI tract that is bleeding out and that needs to be evaluated. I assume they've checked your blood counts recently to make sure the blood loss is not making you anemic. A friend of mine had a tumor (not cancerous) in the small intestine that started bleeding really bad and had to be removed, she was very very very anemic when she got to the hospital.Antibiotics so seem to bother people even when they don't cause pseudomembranous colitis. They upset the colonic flora and some people seem to be senstive to that sort of thing. Sometimes taking probiotics help with that.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Could also be food poisoning or a viral GI infection.Blood can aslo be from hemmaroids and fissures and increased diarrhea can set those off so they bleed. If it doesn't stop or the amounts are large you could also have a polyp or growth somewhere in the GI tract that is bleeding out and that needs to be evaluated. I assume they've checked your blood counts recently to make sure the blood loss is not making you anemic. A friend of mine had a tumor (not cancerous) in the small intestine that started bleeding really bad and had to be removed, she was very very very anemic when she got to the hospital.Antibiotics so seem to bother people even when they don't cause pseudomembranous colitis. They upset the colonic flora and some people seem to be senstive to that sort of thing. Sometimes taking probiotics help with that.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.