Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 19 year old daughter has been taking Cloxapen for an infection. Originally she had a swollen gland in her neck, then her nose became quite infected and, by the time she got a dr. appt., the gums on one of her back teeth were infected. Wierd. So dr. gave her antibiotic Cloxapen. She had loose stools (without pain) from the beginning & throughout the 10 days she took it but she did't tell me this till later. She stopped taking the antibiotic 4 days ago and since she stopped she has really bad cramps & loose stools several times a day. She does not have IBS & has shown no symtoms up to now. Is it too soon to be concerned about Antibiotic Associated Diarrhea? Or...? I was so worried about the infections spreading all over the place I didn't think about the antibiotics being a problem even though I had read what Un_Fatigued had posted here. Talk about dense! Now I'm worried about my daughter even more.[This message has been edited by me3 (edited 08-11-2000).]

·
Registered
116 Posts
me3,If the D didn't stop right after she stopped the antibiotics, I would certainly get her in to see a Doc as soon as possible. In the meantime, get her started on some type of probiotic like Culturelle.The longer C. Diff or Antibiotic Associated Diarrhea goes on, the harder it is to get rid of.The symptoms she has sounds like a red flag to me. Better safe than sorry, I would definitely be talking to a Doc.Please keep me posted! I hope your daughter gets back to normal soon!Un Fatigued

G

·
Antibiotics always give me severe D. Sometimes it stops after a few days, sometimes it lasts the whole 10 days I have to take them. I called the Dr. once, and they just told me that if the D did not stop after a few days, to call them back and they would change the antibiotic. Make sure she drinks a lot of water.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Un_fatigued thanks for the info. I didn't know when to become concerned. I'll see she gets right to the doctor. My daughter has the attitude of "ignor it and it will go away" but her symtoms sound a lot like my IBS ones and I wouldn't want her to experience all that hassle. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My daughter went to the family doctor today. She got the orginal antibiotics from a walk-in clinic, but she wanted to see her own doctor for this new problem (doctor was away till today). The doctor thinks she has Clostridium Difficile and stool samples are the next step.She said to me today that she can now understand what I have been going through all these years. She made me feel sooooo bad because I don't want her to spend one minute feelinglike I do EVER! She also said she is so glad I found this BB because I knew right away that something was wrong. THANKS SO MUCH UN_FATIGUED AND JEFF FOR YOUR POSTINGS ON THIS SUBJECT!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
ME3 touches on fear I share...that one of the kids will be cursed with what I have had all my life. My 18 year old son turned out to have the cast-iron GI tract I have always envied, and sisnce I only planned to have (1) child I thought I was out of the woods. The comes Baby NL 2 years ago...gott worry for another decade or so about whether she has it. So far one problem: extreme dairy intolerance...looks like Type I allergy (started vomiting andy milk-based formula within 3 days after birth...been on soy since no other problems). Upside is that ofetn this recedes as the child grows. Hope so. Mine went the other way. Like there's not enough to worry about these days...like what, 1/3 of the country is on fire? Whom do we choose for the next Prez? ugh...there's a cramper-upper.Have a d-free day...cannot play today..lotsa work...gotta lock-and-load for trip to Miami at noon. Where did I put that Kevlar vest?MNL[This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 08-15-2000).]

·
Registered
116 Posts
me3,I am so happy that they are taking good care of your daughter. Like her, after living with AAD for 7 months, I know what everyone here is going through. And to think that some people have had to battle this for 20-30 years or more breaks my heart.I am glad she is getting early treatment. The longer it goes on, the tougher it is to fight. If not for Jeff and Flux, I might still be suffering with my misdiagnosis.Did they start her off on some Flagyl yet?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I'm glad this is being taken care of! How great that you have a doctor who doesn't brush this off. I have believed I've had something like AAD for a very, very long time (though I didn't know until recently that the problem had an official name), but doctors have just looked at me blankly so far.Good luck!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My daughter wasn't able to provide the necessary sample till this morning so we have to wait till Wednesday for the results. No meds as yet. The doctor is really good and I was pleased she recognized the problem right away. Thanks for your help with this, I really appreciate it.Oops, forgot to mention she broke out in hives last night, mostly on her upper legs with a rash all over the rest of her body. Couldn't be revelant could it? She does have sensitive skin and gets hayfever quite badly.[This message has been edited by me3 (edited 08-15-2000).]

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
If the flagyl doesn't seem to work, then I would find a doc that would order something like Nystatin or Diflucan (or some antifungal). Unfortunately, for some people it is a yeast problem. If she ever develops a vaginal yeast problem, it is almost a sure thing that this is what the problem may be. I had been on Amoxicillin for adult-oncet acne for over a year. Then I developed first a vag infection, and then a bladder infection. I have heard of some people getting the hives, but I was not one of them. She could have a med or perhaps developed someother type of allergy as sometimes the immune system goes a little haywire. None of my docs, GP, GI, or GU could figure it out. Even went so far as having a hyster and one ovary removed as they found endo and wondered if this could be the cause. The post surgical follow-up six wks. later found yeast caked to my vaginal wall. The antibiotic had masked the odor and symptoms of a usual infection. Unfortunately only a local/vaginal yeast treatment was given, and the painful stooling, cramping and bloating went on for a couple more years. It wasn't until I went to a good allergist who did some testing and found a big reaction to candida. This indicated that it was indeed a problem for me. A low sugar/low fermented diet (including staying away from citric acid which I was also found sensitive to and which is an additive made from fermented sugars), and the oral antifungal Diflucan gradually cleared up my symptoms. Unfortunately it went on for so long, it will take awhile for my system to balance itself again enough to go off the diet and antifungal. I also am taking antigen drops which I am not entirely sure are helpful or not, but the rest of it is working so I'm sticking with it for the three years they say it might take. You could begin by doing the diet and taking probiotics as suggested, (like a good refrigerated enteric coated kind), and seeing if this improves things.Good luck determining what the creature of the "deep" is and treating it effectively!M.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.