Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Mario I am a 26 year old Network Technician and I have IBS. My stomach problems started about 5 years ago, too much junk food and bad eating habits made me pass gas. But not any ordinary gas, but the kind that could clear a room. As a full-time student, I had know health insurance. I went to a free community clinic where they determined that I had the H-Pylori bacteria. The doc told me not to stop treatment for two weeks under any curcumstances. But I did because I felt this numbness near my liver. After a couple of months I went to another clinic where I prescribed a diffrent set of medicince to get rid of the H-Plylori. This time they made a mistake at their Pharmacy and I was overdosing on antibiotics! I got bad "D". My stomach was never the same. So now I have IBS and if it was not for my wife and Infant son I do not know what I would of done. I hope this info is of any use to anyone out there. Maybe you too got IBS from to many Antibiotics. On that note what is a Probiotic? Take Care and God Bless

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mario26, I have had IBS for years, but I;m just recovering from a month long flareup.It was one of the worst I have had and I know it was because I had a sinus/ear infection and was on antibiotics for ten days.I will never take antibiotics again.

G

·
Mario... there isn't any one thing that can be blamed for causing IBS. The reason for that is that IBS is only one component of a global collection of related autoimmune symptoms that collectively form a functional disorder. No one knows for sure what causes IBS or its sister components. There are things you can do to temper your IBS symptoms however. Eric can point you in some positive directions that will help to educate you about this complex syndrome and show you some ways that you can temper the symptoms. Good luck

G

·
Regarding antibiotics, if you have to use them, introduce acidophillus and bifidus into your system either as food supplements or in the form of aged dairy products such as Yogurt or sour cream. These substances with cause more of the good and desireable bacteria in your G.I. gract to flourish. Your symptoms might initially get worse, but eventually will get better.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mario:I have wanted to start up a similiar topic like:"Can you trace the onset of your IBS to an adverse reaction to a medication or a course of antibiotics?"but never got around to it. I know that the onset of my IBS was triggered by a severe upset caused by a penicillin derived antifungal medication. The unfortunate thing for me is the drug was not necessary and should never have been prescribed. I have mentioned this on other threads.I have read a number of posts on this BB from other members who like youself can trace their IBS to a course of antibiotics. The medical community now reports that some cases of IBS have been triggered by antibiotics. Maybe they will find a cure for individuals like yourself but I am not hopeful for myself due to the obscure drug that I was prescribed.For the time being we will just have to learn to live with our condition. I am now approaching 13 years with this curse. Some of these years have been better than others. Currently I'm having a tough time but I also know stress does not help.As for probiotics they are friendly bacteria that coexist in the human body. Sometimes their numbers can be effected by the use of antibiotics allowing harmful strains and possibly other micro-organisms to take over. The idea is to take probiotics in the form of yogurt or in capsules you can purchase at the health food store or drug store to restore the balance and hopefully things will return to normal. This has not helped me and I have eaten buckets of yogurt and downed thousands of the capsules over the years. Maybe for me it is the fungas that is screwed up and I should be taking friendly fungas pills!!!!!!!!!!!!!One last item to mention. Have you ever had your stool tested for c. difficile? You probably don't have it or you would be really sick but it is a thought.Good luck hope you feel better soon.

G

·
Frostbite... question: If some "IBS" is caused by use of antibiotics..... can it really be categorized as true IBS?I suspect that Mario's and your "IBS" might actually be something else.The research I've done leads me to the conclusion that IBS is not limited to merely IBS. It is, as I said in my first post on this thread, merely one component of a functional disorder that includes multiple health issues such as chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, allergies, clinical depression, anxiety disorders, and a host of other related components of the functional syndrome.Talk to me. Tell me about your sources. I am not being judgemental or in any way trying to undermine your post. I simply want answers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Probiotics prevent antibiotic side-effects Food Navigator - Ingredients, Food Additives & Nutrition (fibers, proteins, enzymes, food safety, science, ingredients) http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/news.asp?id=5171 Due to copyright, I'm not printing the entire article, but here's a good article about how probiotics help prevent antibiotic caused diarrhea.Thought it was timely considering the discussion.Wishing you well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Artspirit:You asked:"Frostbite... question: If some "IBS" is caused by use of antibiotics..... can it really be categorized as true IBS?"The Mayo Clinic's web site suggests that antibiotics may also be a factor in IBS. It is obvious they are only referring to some cases of IBS but when does the use of antibiotics cause more than just a temporary change in the bowel flora resulting in a bacterial overgrowth or infection such as c. difficile and this is just one disorder that may be misdiagnosed as IBS. What about microscopic inflamatory bowel disease and who knows how many others disorders that have yet to be discovered. Once misdiagnosed with IBS the diagnosis sticks until proven otherwise which in some cases may be never.In the back of my mind I will probably always wonder what that unnecessary and ineffective drug did to me along with one of the alternative treatments I tried. I don't think I will ever find out and I must try to forget and get on with my life.Attached are a few web sites that you might find interesting. I was referred to the Clostridium Difficile site by Karmacat a member of this BB. Some of the case histories indicate they were initially misdiagnosed with IBS.http://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformation/conditionce nters/invoke.cfm?objectid=F32C84B7-11F3-4E9D-80A5AD5354F27F4E&locID=[/URL] http://www.cdiffsupport.com/discus/ http://ibscrohns.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?s ite=http%3A%2F%2Fshudson8472.tripod.com%2FText%2FMicroscopic_colitis.htm[/URL]

·
Registered
169 Posts
i to know the same situation! antibiotics really tear me up! i have mitral valve prolapse and anytime i have to go in for a dental procedure or anything that will require that my blood will be "airbourne" i have to take a high dose of antibiotics, like 6 200mg. amoxicillin at one time to help my heart(mitral valve)from getting an infection. so, my remedy is letting my doc know that i am going in for such a procedure and i get a shot in my butt of about 1500mg. of penicillian and i have NO side effects of the D or anything else! my doc is so very understanding! :love:

G

·
Thanx, Frostbite.... I will check out the links you posted and get back with you as time permits.I don't doubt that there can be specific IBS triggers such as antitiobics. Heck... my problems got worse after a series of G.I. X-rays many years ago. Afer having those barium tests, I could never poop the same again
I think what I'm trying to say here is that the PREDISPOSITION for IBS might exist independently of use of antibiotics or barium tests or any other aggravator.Let me off the following as another analogy:If a person is not predisposed to clinical depression... but they encounter some horrific life experience, they may get "depressed" for a short time, but they will bounce back. People with a predisposition for clinical depression are not capable of bouncing back without meds, cognitive/behavioral therapy or both. So... if a person is predisposed to IBS, the introduction of some "life experience"... whether it be antibiotics, barium or stress.... will develop IBS where a "normal" person might stress out for a while but will return to former G.I. functions.Is this making sense to you?

G

·
P.S. Just wanted to add that while good things happen at Mayo Clinic.... There are still politics that exist which govern what they release.... just like any other money-making organization. Don't be fooled. Be your own detective. We need to take charge of our own lives.

G

·
Frostbite... I have cut and paste here something from the very first Mayo link that you posted: If you read it carefully... what it is saying is just what I said... that antibiotics can be a trigger... but they DO NOT CAUSE IBS. It goes on to state that "NO ONE KNOWS WHAT CAUSES IBS".THE ARTICLE STATES:"No one knows exactly what causes IBS. Some researchers think IBS is caused by changes in the nerves that control sensation or muscle contractions in the bowel. Others believe the central nervous system may affect the colon. And because women are two to three times more likely than men to have IBS, researchers believe that hormonal changes also play a role. For many women, symptoms are worse during or around their menstrual periods.For reasons that still aren't clear, if you have IBS you probably react strongly to stimuli that don't bother other people. Triggers for IBS can range from gas or pressure on your intestines to certain foods, medications or emotions. Chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause constipation or diarrhea, for instance. And the least bit of stress might send your colon into spasms. In fact, if you're like most people with IBS, you probably find that symptoms are worse or more frequent during stressful events, such as a change in your daily routine or family arguments. But while stress may aggravate symptoms, it doesn't cause them.Sometimes another illness, such as an acute episode of infectious diarrhea (gastroenteritis) can trigger IBS. Antibiotic use also may be a factor because antibiotics disrupt the normal bacterial flora living ing in your bowel. Excessive use of laxatives and even some antidiarrheal medications may contribute to the problem as well."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.