Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GI doctor put me on Xifaxan 550 mg. I'm going in for a colonoscopy on Aug 25 and I'm requesting to be knocked out for it. Past 3 have been very rough for me. My pharmacy said that this antibiotic is rare. Anyone else been on this and what have the side effects been?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Xifaxin is rifaximin (generic name), a non-absorbable antibiotic (meaning that it stays in your GI tract primarily and is not absorbed systemically). How often are you taking 550mg? Once daily? Twice? The standard dose as far as I know is around 400mg TID (thrice daily) which equals 1200mg daily. I have taken this AB twice (last year) for SIBO. 1200mg/day for ten days. The main side effect I had was absominal bloating/distension, which I think is a common side effect. I cannot recall having any major side effects besides that, and it maybe made me feel a little spacey and "out of it", but a lot of medications have that effect on me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xifaxin is rifaximin (generic name), a non-absorbable antibiotic (meaning that it stays in your GI tract primarily and is not absorbed systemically). How often are you taking 550mg? Once daily? Twice? The standard dose as far as I know is around 400mg TID (thrice daily) which equals 1200mg daily. I have taken this AB twice (last year) for SIBO. 1200mg/day for ten days. The main side effect I had was absominal bloating/distension, which I think is a common side effect. I cannot recall having any major side effects besides that, and it maybe made me feel a little spacey and "out of it", but a lot of medications have that effect on me.
My doctor prescribed it 3 x daily for 14 days. I'm worried about the side effects, feeling spaced out and out of it, freaks me out! I really don't like that feeling at all. I hate painkillers just for that reason. Thanks for the information, I do appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts