1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is really the only potential side effect of anticholinergic medications that scares me. I was taking Lomotil a few years ago, and besides the poor results and side effects, once I learned about the connection with dementia and cognitive decline, I stopped taking it immediately. I also ruled out the use of other anticholingeric medications.

I actually didn't realise that Imodium was an anticholinergic. I don't know how I missed that, but damn.

Do we know if Kratom is considered anticholinergic? I did a quick search, and from what I read, the layman consensus is that it is not an anticholinergic. If that's the case, I would feel much more comfortable with making a full switch from Imodium to Kratom.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Totally agree. I could always feel the cognitive effects with imodium. Like being in a daze all the time. Almost felt like there was a blatant pause in my reaction time during conversations. And i had to remind myself to show emotion. Thats why i stopped taking it.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
The conclusion of the article is :

Higher ARS scores are associated with statistically significantly increased risk of anticholinergic adverse effects in older patients.

nb: older = more than 65y (in that article)

If you are more than 65 > be cautious...

But do not forget (http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publications/issue/2016/august2016/loperamide-danger-of-elevated-plasma-concentrations):
"Loperamide is a unique opioid in that it usually only demonstrates peripheral activity, slowing gastrointestinal motility without the central nervous system (CNS) effects seen with other opiates. This selective response is due to 2 properties of loperamide. First, it has a very low bioavailability: reportedly 0.3%. Therefore, when a patient takes a 2-mg dose, only 0.006 mg of loperamide reaches systemic circulation etc..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts