Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS symptoms are ruining my life,trying to cope but finding it difficult.I am in severe pain most days due to ibs and have tried all antispasmodics,painkillers,low dose antidepressants,alternative therapies,nothing helps!My GP has been as helpful as she can be.What she has suggested for me to think about is to try a higher dose of an antidepressant to see if it helps any of my ibs symptoms,but i dont really want to do this,probably because i feel antidepressants help more if you have Depression or a mental health illness.I am at my wits end,i just want to have one good day,that would be a start!does anyone have any advice or help they could give me,or are you or have been on a higher dose of antidepressant,did it help any of your ibs symptoms and make every day life any easier,i am at my wits end now!Nothing i have taken over the years has helped,but i just feel there has got to be something.I live in the UK.
Thank you.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had chronic, everyday D for 10 years. I have kept it under control with a flavonoid supplement called Provex CV for over 10 years. It is available in the UK. If you have anything in your background that would indicate the presence of even low levels of inflammation, it would be worth at least a test, given that nothing else is working.Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The drug doesn't know it is an antidepressant and doesn't know if you are depressed or not.It works on any nerve that uses serotonin that has the particular receptor it hits (some also effect other neurotransmitters in addition to serotonin).You have almost as many nerves in your gut to make it run as you do in your head (it is so complex it is often called a "second brain")The drugs effect those nerves just like the do in the brain so the drugs aren't just for depression, but also end up having a lot of other effects.One that we have in the USA, Cymbalta, is also actually approved by the FDA for certain pain conditions. Most of them will do it, but other than when a drug is new it isn't worth getting the approval as it is way too expensive, but that drug isn't unique in having more than one effect in the body.I know people don't want to use them because they are used for depression, but it is not true that is the only possible thing they treat. They just effect nerves. Some of those nerves happen to be involved in mood, but the body uses the same parts over and over so almost all drugs have several different things they do.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice from both of you.My Hospital Consultant does not feel i need any more tests,and that everything is down to the severity of my ibs.I do understand this but when you are suffering so much you think,there has got to be something out there that will help.Thank you again.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would give the anti-depressants a go. Like the previous poster said they don't just work on depression as the same nerves can affect the gut/brain connection as well.don't regard them as anti depressants as such but as something that could potentially affect your IBS for the better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
sorry ur not feeling well at mo i tried ads low dose only 1 that suited was flouxetine but stopped working after a while going to ask 4 an alternative to diazepam as they have stopped working as well only on 4mg a day have GAD which makes ibs worse as i stress so much. seeing doc next week to discuss alternative for pain mainly and stress if i find 1 that suits will let u know.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HelloIs Flouxetine Prozac?I did take that years ago for Depression.Let me know how you get on at Doctors.I will be seeing mine probably next week to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes it is prozac was on 20mg when first diagnosed by general surgeon in hospital but stopped working after about 7 months give them a go might work 4 u.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think its just a question of whether the side effects outweigh the IBS. I'd give them a go - they're not saying you're depressed, but these drugs have worked well with some IBS sufferers.I had very good results from Mirtazapine, an older anti-depressant. I was basically in full remission on it. But the side-effects became too great in the end and I decided to stop them. Its a fine line though, if my IBS was as bad as yours sounds then I'd have stuck with it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What were the side effects you had with the Mirtazapine?that made you have to stop taking them.That was a shame if it had helped you so much.Was it a long time ago you were on it?Are you taking something else now?

·
Registered
62 Posts
What were the side effects you had with the Mirtazapine?that made you have to stop taking them.That was a shame if it had helped you so much.Was it a long time ago you were on it?Are you taking something else now?
I was taking them this year. About a month or so in I started getting a lot more headaches, and felt permanently exhausted. Mirtazapine really knocks you out on a night. Other issues were mental - I felt my paranoia increased a little, I tended to be very irritable and a little aggressive, and I felt very flat towards loved ones (like I didn't feel any love if you see what I mean, I just sort of existed with them). Tried a couple of other ones too but they made me feel like a zombie.Just taking usual stuff now, Colpermin a bit, Motilium, Spasmanol (which is useless, no idea why I persist taking it) and I've also been trying IBS Digestive Advantage, some probiotics you can get from the US, which seem to help.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It has been my experience that antidepressants do not work. For me, they made me feel worse and when you all ready feel bad you don't what something that makes you feel worse. I have not read here or seen anywhere that they actually help with IBS because like everything else it varies so much from person to person. Honestly not many people will say it but the truth is there is nothing that really works. I am currently on 2 mgs of Lotronex and have been for 5 weeks. It has helped the diarehha but I still have a multitide of IBS symptoms. For me diet does not help, probiotics and xifaxin did not help....librax, bentyl, buspar, trazadone....nothing works and the side effects just are not worth it. Most days now I have learned to just do the best I can with whatever I have that day. Most days are harder than others but I get a day here and there that are not bad. So for me a good day is when things are not so bad. I do have stones in my appendix that have not resolved over the last 8 months since last CT Scan so I am having a laproscopic exam on Friday and getting my appendix out as some of my symptoms could be chronic appendicitis. I am not getting my hopes up that this will really resolve anything but hoping that some of the pain, gas and bloating are due to chronic appendicitis and that the Lotronex will help the IBS more once they are gone.There are so many things to try and decisions to make so don't give up until you find something that works for you....maybe it will be an antidepressant.Good Luck!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are plenty of clinical trials that show for some patients antidepressants do work for IBS.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1934089...mp;ordinalpos=3 has a meta-analysis of tricyclics.Meta analysis looks at several studies and pools the results so you can determine the overall result from multiple studies.Now no one treatment works for everyone, and some people are sensitive to the side effects of antidepressants (may feel worse emotionally or physically) but all treatments have side effects and no treatment causes side effects in all people. Most of the time side effects are seen in 1% or less of all people who take them, but some may occur at higher rates. Doesn't help if you are in the 1% or are not in the group that are helped. If something doesn't work for you (or does work for you) that doesn't say much about the effectiveness for any other individual.There is enough statistically relevant evidence to make trying antidepressants worth working as they seem to be statistically as likely to work as anything else.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
diana--i'm so sorry for all the ibs problems and pain you've been going through. ongoing pain 24/7 really makes daily life very difficult. i was reading some of your other posts on other threads and was wondering--since you mentioned straining and forcing even though stools are soft--have you ever been tested for pelvic floor dysfunction with the anorectal manometry and/or balloon expulsion tests? maybe you're having pelvic floors problems? (sorry if i'm being redundant and you've already mentioned this)i really hope you can find relief soon.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all,for the advice,really in two minds what to do,but have to do something!Seeing Doctor tomorrow.I have had balloon expulsion tests a few years ago,was told things were oksy,but i am actually going back to have it looked into again as my suffering goes on,bowel stuff a nightmare.I do have a weak pelvic floor so that is going to be looked at again also.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Diana 63 - sorry to hear about your problmes.I take Mirtazapine and have no side effects other than it makes me sleep well. It is best to take it just before bedtime. I have only been taking it for 2 weeks so too early to say how it is affecting IBS.A good one for you to try might be amitriptyline as this is also an extremely effective pain killer.I saw comments regarding your pelvic floor. Have you been tested for an internal colon prolapse? Either way you might like to read this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-...d-prolapse.html Good luck!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts