Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor gave me a perscription for CDP AMITRIP which is an antidepressant. I know there are drugs out there for IBS, why do you think he gave me Amitrip. Does anyone know the drug that was taken off the market and then put back on because it wound up being fatal? Is anyone taking it? Let me know.Floridagrl

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Lotornex was the drug and they brought it back but you really have to have a doctor willing to prescribe it and go through lots of monitoring to watch closly how it works or does not work for you.Linda

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I took Lotronex for a very short period of time. It made me so constipated, I couldn't stand it. One of the very frustrating things about IBS is that no two people react the same way to meds and other therapies. You have to find what works best for YOU. And yes, that means some trial and error. But it will be well worth the effort in the long run. If you are uncomfortable taking an antidepressant, then talk to your doctor about other treatments. Maybe that should be a last resort for you.I do take Paxil and it has helped me tremendously. I have been able to get off of it for periods of time also, so it is not addicting. But talk with your doctor. And if your doctor won't listen to you, find a new one that will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HiI am a physician and the Lotornex problems are a real concern. The antidepressants seem to help some. I am impressed with the data coming out though that shows a lot of IBS is related to small carbohydrate intolerance - like fructose/lactose. That is why I think that Digestive Advantage IBS is working so well for a number of my patients - it produces a host of enzymes right at the gut lining where the metabolism is supposed to occur. It thus normalizes digestion.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
GI Guy, are you a gastroenterologist?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GI Guy, Are you saying that a low carb/low fat diet could be helpful? Is lactose the enzyme found in dairy? For a long time we thought I was just lactose intolerant but over the years it's proved to be wrong.Floridagrl.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ALLI-Those websites, were they for lotronex. Wasn't that the drug that was pulled off the market because some people died? Is this new drug over the counter?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
In the UNC chat last night Dr Drossman said the lotronex number for possible problems was 1 in 750, and the drug should be prescribe by qualified doctors and the patient should be carefully monitored.Floridagrl, yes "the low carb/low fat diet could be helpful."Fat is also one of the strongest triggers to the gut.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
The other OTC mentioned here is over the counter, it is a probiotic along with certain enzymes. Bluesclues does it help?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts