Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how much relief from abdominal pain people experience from taking antispasmodics. I'm usually able to control my D, but the pain is 24/7. My GI is very hesitant in prescribing anything but prescription Immodium. He assumes that deep breathing is the answer to my pain, but it doesn't help. I would like to try something like Librax, but I don't want to be forceful with my GI if he thinks he knows what's best for me. Yet if I could be relieved of the pain maybe it's worth being more assertive. Can anyone else share their experiences? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Be forceful and be assertive. After suffering pain for months and being told by my GI to "just eat more fiber" my sister-in-law, who is a family doctor, told me to ask for Librax or Bentyl. I asked my GI. He prescribed Librax. It worked wonders!!! My pain was totally gone. I also tried Bentyl. Ditto the results. Now I only take as needed.Stacey

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Be forceful and be assertive. After suffering pain for months and being told by my GI to "just eat more fiber" my sister-in-law, who is a family doctor, told me to ask for Librax or Bentyl. I asked my GI. He prescribed Librax. It worked wonders!!! My pain was totally gone. I also tried Bentyl. Ditto the results. Now I only take as needed.Stacey

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I took Levsin when I was a D-type and it helped tremendously. But my pain wasn't 24/7, but those awful cramps associated with the D, so after I went to the bathroom, I was okay until the next episode. Since the Levsin pretty much got rid of the D, the cramps went away too.Ty

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I took Levsin when I was a D-type and it helped tremendously. But my pain wasn't 24/7, but those awful cramps associated with the D, so after I went to the bathroom, I was okay until the next episode. Since the Levsin pretty much got rid of the D, the cramps went away too.Ty

·
Registered
442 Posts
You have nothing to lose to try anti-spasmodic drug.I use Dicetel (available in Canada) an it works not so bad for my pain.Less pain then you will feel better in your mind. This could in turn calm down you IBS.Tricks: You have to cook a lot your food. Pressure cooking works better for IBS sufferer. Avoid non-soluble fibers (psylium available over the counter is a soluble fiber, it form a gel when mixed with water if you let the mixture in a glass for a while). Salads are mainly non-soluble fibers and hard to digest (bad for IBS). Fibers should reduce the D but not the pain. Avoid refined sugar and complex carbohydrates as possible (food from ground is mainly carb. but some carb. are better than others). You will find your own offending foods.My pain is about 2 to 5 when i awake (day dependant) and goes down to 2 (i feel my colon working) in the day on a scale of 10. No D, no C unless i'm taking some stupid food (pizza order for example) or drug (like last time when i took some Ibuprofen for anti-inflamatory)Why to suffer? Good luck.----- bye (IBS for 21 years)

·
Registered
442 Posts
You have nothing to lose to try anti-spasmodic drug.I use Dicetel (available in Canada) an it works not so bad for my pain.Less pain then you will feel better in your mind. This could in turn calm down you IBS.Tricks: You have to cook a lot your food. Pressure cooking works better for IBS sufferer. Avoid non-soluble fibers (psylium available over the counter is a soluble fiber, it form a gel when mixed with water if you let the mixture in a glass for a while). Salads are mainly non-soluble fibers and hard to digest (bad for IBS). Fibers should reduce the D but not the pain. Avoid refined sugar and complex carbohydrates as possible (food from ground is mainly carb. but some carb. are better than others). You will find your own offending foods.My pain is about 2 to 5 when i awake (day dependant) and goes down to 2 (i feel my colon working) in the day on a scale of 10. No D, no C unless i'm taking some stupid food (pizza order for example) or drug (like last time when i took some Ibuprofen for anti-inflamatory)Why to suffer? Good luck.----- bye (IBS for 21 years)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I have tried various preparations of mebeverine and also Colpermin which is peppermint. Neither help me. Deep, slow breathing with pauses inbetween breaths however, DOES help me. So does meditation, visualisation and hypnotherapy. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I have tried various preparations of mebeverine and also Colpermin which is peppermint. Neither help me. Deep, slow breathing with pauses inbetween breaths however, DOES help me. So does meditation, visualisation and hypnotherapy. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.