Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know I freak out when I have to go anywhere. I take Lomotil and usually have my H drive me so I can sit in back by a make shift toilet I have. Horible way to go. Anyway I know some of you have this same problem. Do you find that waiting in lines is the worst? Like at a drive up bank or drive up Mcdonalds? I cannot stand waiting anymore. I am begining to be a VERY impatient person. And I hate this. I try to tell mysle fyou are fine there is a bathroom here or there but I still hate waiting.Do any of you do this? how do you work it out?ThanksKat

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
A mechanism involved in IBS, anxiety and panic attacks is the fight or flight responce, mediated by the HPA axis or Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. The bodies stress system.What is the "fight or flight response?"http://www.thebodysoulconnection.com/Educa...nter/fight.htmlTime magazine Understanding anxietyhttp://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/78310261/m/248103222in regards to IBSThe Neurobiology of Stress and EmotionsBy: Emeran A. Mayer, M.D., UCLA Mind Body Collaborative Research Center, UCLA School of Medicine, California "Why do the symptoms go away after one stressful situation has resolved and persist in another? Amongst many factors, anxiety and fear generated by IBSsymptoms themselves are sufficient in many patients to maintain the stress responsiveness in a chronically enhanced state. Some of the more common symptom related anxieties include: Am I close enough to a bathroom when my symptoms come on? Will I be OK for the rest of the day, unless I completely empty my colon in the morning before leaving the house? "http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/stress.html

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't have *exactly* that, but when I have situations like it, I check and see what my body is doing--what are my little habits that I particularly do [it is different for everyone], like raising my shoulders or tightening this or that muscle, identifying and then *reversing* it. At worst it distracts me, :) at best it actually reverses and gets rid of the emotion.I may do 6-directions breathing too, in some situations. Same result: at best occupies my mind/emotions, at worst distracts me. :) It's known that what we feel can affect the body, known that if we can change what we are thinking it will make changes in what we are doing with our bodies. It's less well-known--but equally true--that if we can really put teh body in a different state [sometimes by things as simple as releasing the shoulders, breathing into the belly, adopting all the things you do when you're relaxed and replicating them *physically*], we can actually change the way we feel about or react to situations. We can change the *experience* of them! [It's really handy with my mother :) :)]It may not work as well with really highly-charged situations, but every little bit helps!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
The thread Changing your thoughts and IBS is all about this.http://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/43110261/m/97910261alsoUSING RELAXATION:COPING WITH FUNCTIONAL GASTROINTESTINAL DISORDERS"HOW CAN RELAXATION HELP?Research has shown that relaxation provides several health benefits including: decreasing excess arousal produced by worry or anxiety, managing insomnia, buffering the adverse physiological responses to stress, and increasing pain tolerance while decreasing some of the symptoms associated with chronic pain.Relaxation training is also a vital part of any stress management program and is a component of many cognitive-behavioral treatment programs for problems such as headache, depression, anxiety, and phobias.""For individuals with functional GI disorders, relaxation appears to help by dampening the pain, managing the arousal naturally associated with physical distress, empowering the patient with self-help skills, and managing irritability which is a very common consequence of chronic pain."http://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/712...110974#74110974

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
kitkat, I think you're the Kat's Meow, but I gotta ask, what the heck are you doing eating at McDonald's
How're you going to get back to the life of a normal eating like that?I ask in peace, am just stunned...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When we eat out anywhere it is on a night that I know I will be home ALL night and ALL the next day. Be it Mcdonalds-subway-applebees where ever. Believe me I don't eat out much. Allot of times like Sunday ,I was with my famly and they wanted Mcd's ,I got it for them but I did not eat anything.I harldy EVER eat out. I know better.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
OK, that makes more sense, and all's right with the world again
I probably shouldn't have opened my big mouth, but otherwise, I'd have just assumed you were a bic mac eating, french fry chowing gal...knew you were smarter than that! T-

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Have you tried to up your dose of xanax for these driving adventures? I think you were only taking .25 mg, right? Or does the BP meds conflict with this? That was my starting point to not panic, but you already know this
. Keep your head up Kat, this will pass soon hopefully.Brett

1 - 9 of 9 Posts