Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had ibs for the past four years and i have yet to find anything that works. ive changed my diet and im otherwise young and healthy. pretty much everything is normal for me except that i have serious anxiety about being someplace quiet. my stomach makes really loud noises because im nervous about being someplace quiet and that just gets me more nervous etc etc. clearly this is triggered by anxiety, and ive tried zelnorm, to no avail, and now zoloft which i guess is ok but nothing will end the noises. help!!! i feel so embarassed to go to class or work or take tests or even hang out with people.... does anyone else have a similar problem? it seems like everyone has multiple symptoms. im almost more confused because all i have is my stomach making noise... whats that about?!?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi thereI have exactly the same problems as you.My stomach makes the most terrible noises when I`m in a quiet space. Its because I`m nervous of quiet spaces. Its taken over my life. I dread meetings, semonars etc. I don`t know what to do. I`m thinking of getting a job outside because it would be less embarrasing. I cant carry on with this for the next 20 years of my work life

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's interesting Bonnie.And my IBS book said anything sugar free with certain chemicals in it can cause problems. I gave up low cal mints, and low cal syrup and my tummy noises have settled way down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I never had anxiety before I had IBS but I get so embarassed about the noises my stomach makes. I avoid situations that are quiet and meetings are torture. The only thing that helps a bit is calcium. I've been taking it with each meal and it seems to stop the gurgling noises.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
darell and rosie i feel your pain!! there is so much i want to do but feel like i cant because of this problem! bonnie... im confused about your post... what exactely did the study say?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Eliz with gas/rumbling issues really the only sugar free things you need to be looking out for are the sugar alcohols (sorbitol, mannitol, anything ending in -itol)Fructose on it's own can be a problem. And yep High fructose corn syrup that they use instead of sugar (same calories just cheaper) and sugar substitutes are in a lot of processed foods. That is why sometimes it is best to eat whole foods from the outside of the grocery rather than boxed/prepared stuff from the middle. Usually it is healthier to eat that way for many other reasons.K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is the first time i've visited these boards, i am SO glad there is someone out there having the same problem.i know EXACTLY what you're going through. it sounds ridiculous, but i can't take being in a quiet classroom anymore because i become anxious that my stomach will start to make noises and then it does and i can't do -anything- about it.i never used to eat breakfast before school, but when i started 9th grade, i noticed that i would get hunger pangs early in the day. obviously to try to prevent this i started eating in the mornings--but then it got really bad. no matter how much i ate, my stomach would always make these obnoxious noises. not knowing what to do, i started to excessively and compulsively over-eat. it's now to the point where i am stuffing myself in the face with terrible foods, just so that i don't have to deal with my internal problems. and if i haven't had the right amount, i start to panic about what is going to happen.i feel dumb telling anyone about this, as it is sort of a silly situation. everyone has gas and stomach pains--but i feel like my anxiety over it is causing me to limit myself from the things that i want to do. i've created all of these alternate routes for myself, so that i can avoid this problem...i've thought about quitting school because i just can't concentrate on ANYTHING while i'm there, other than "is my stomach going to act up?" i don't know really what i'm trying to get at here by writing all this, but i guess i'm just wondering if i should be doing something that i'm not? i've never taken meds or anything (my mother doesn't really go for that) and i've tried eating healthier foods but it seems as though only the bad foods can take away the pain.

G

·
I have had IBS with diarrhea for 30 some odd years, never knew what was going on. Found a new GP Doctor 3 years ago who didn�t make me feel like a idiot when I went to him with stomach problem. He knew about IBS. He said he was sure I had IBS. His advice was to try and stay away from the things you don�t enjoy doing. You know the things that stress you. Just refuse to do them even if it upset a family member. He also advised me to watch what I eat and keep a record of the things that upset my stomach, then stay away from them the best you can. He gave me a perception for Hydroxyz HCL generic for Atarax. It�s anti anxiety pill. Not habit forming drug. That was Jan 23 2004, 60 tablets It works good for me in fact ,I still have 30 of them left. The big thing is his advice to just chill out and the fact he was so good about the problem caused me to rethink my life style. I worked hard at it and have been pretty much IBS free for a couple of years now. I made up my mind it�s my choice to not let this thing run my life. It�s your choice also. I�m sure my problem was 95% stress the 5% was food. I still try to stay away from gasses and greasy foods, and soda pop. He had me try Bentyl to help the stomach spasms, it work for me about 5 months. I know how hard it is for everyone with IBS to not let it run your life. The worse you feel the more the pressure is on and you just know your going to get worse. I have found simple things like just going to the doctor can trigger ones stomach to act up. Mine flutters when I know I�m going to the doctor. I have found if I chew some gum or I like to suck on a couple of Werther�s or a Cream Saver on the way and in the waiting room. Tuesday the 15th I was at the doctors office and he asked what I was sucking on cause it smelled so good. I told him a Cream Saver (butter toffee and cr�me )Darn I ended up forking over a handful for him and the staff.Good Luck Jack G AKA DirtBikj

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea this is such a weird problem to deal with because on one hand you feel like you need to just get away from the stuff that is causing anxiety for you, but then on the other hand they are often things that you need to do if you want to function normally in society. i want to relax, but i just cant figure out how to. ive tried yoga and exercise and stuff like that. ive tried deep breathing and all sorts of stuff. i guess the best advice i can give to ausername is that you just have to determine what makes you feel that way. like for me its a quiet room and the only thing that makes the noises go away is etiher releasing gas or if i end up getting really innvolved in something. obviously option number one isnt going to work, but ive found that if you just get really into things that you are doing you tend to forget about the anxiety. thats not as good of a solution as something much simpler like medication but since this is a mind thing i guess you have to deal with your head rather than trying to take medicine for your stomach. high school was definately tough for me... it was really hard for me to get through it with all those noises cause everyone knows each other and its just bizarre, i felt like people were always like whoa whats that noise. but if people commented on it it was always just like oh you must be hungry so i guess in that sense its not all that bad if people just think your stomachs rumbling. just so you know getting to college makes things a lot easier. if you go to a big school sitting in large lecture halls is a lot easier than a small crowded classroom where you know everyone. in a lecture you can always leave and there aer so many people no one is paying attention to you. also if your stomach makes noises chances are the people sitting around you who heard it will never see you again cause the school is so big. also- and i think this is going to be the biggest help of all- i recently asked my professor about taking my tests somewhere other than the classroom, and they were totally ok wtih it. im going to be taking two tests this week that i have in a different room away from those people. i can only imagine how much easier it will be to concentrate on the test instead of my embarassment over some stomach noises! i never thought of askinng my teachers in high school about taking my tests outside of the classroom, but now i wish i had, it would have saved me a lot of worrying. maybe you could try this so at least during the times when the class is most quiet you are able to leave the room.hope that helps, jsut know that there are other people out there with the same problem!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey eliz07, thanks for all your advice. it is really nice to know im not alone on this thing that's driving me insane.unfortunately though, today was really awful. i went to school with high hopes that i'd be able to make it, but i couldn't. i had to walk out of class early because i started to panic and my stomach was in knots. then i got really depressed and didn't even both going to my next class.it may be hard to believe, but i feel like the level of mental stress is just unbearable and i'm now contemplating dropping all of my classes. i'm convinced that if maybe i can just get a change of pace, things will get under control. since this is my first year of college, i know i have a lot of time for education, yet i still feel pressure to keep going. like you said - sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to do just to function like any normal person in society, but my thing is, why go if i'm not able to do my best? it's all very hard to explain to my parents. i feel like i'm at a point where i'm just ready to get professional help. i've always been led to believe that by in doing so, it would be just like 'giving up', but i've been dealing with this for far too long that i really don't know what else to do.have you ever been to a nutritionist? i was thinking about seeing one but i don't know what that would do for me. i haven't been able to eat full meals lately (the thought of food is is nausiating) and i thought maybe they could provide some kind of plan i could stick to.anyways, thanks a lot....this board is so helpful

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry, but seeking professional help is the furthest thing in my mind from "giving up". In fact it's dealing with the problem head on. It's not going to go away on it's own, even though you want it to. I haven't been to a nutritionist but it sounds like a good idea. I have been to a psychologist and a naturopath as well as my GP and a Gastro doctor. Anything you can do to take care of yourself can be helpful. It's a lot better than letting IBS run your life - now that's giving up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact problem. as a few of you in the thread. I used not to have breakfast and then my stomach would make noise at around 10:00 and I would have gas at around 2:00 -3:00 pm. As I had class in an auditorium, always sitting next to a prim and proper girl, I decided this had to stop. So I started eating and wheneverI would start hearing noises I would stop breathing, and contract my belly/stomach as much as I could. So I always packed lunch or ate our for lunch, trying never to be hungry, Well, this i snot easy; with timeNow I cannot eat anything at school, because as soon as I eat, I start bloating, and have some kind of diarrhea at 11:30 during school days or anytime I eat in public or with friends. It is bothering, because I can never leave my house on time in the morning. I found that drinking lots of water in the morning and lying down 5 minutes, help me go to the bathroom as soon as I eat breakfast. But I still have the problem of the last minute problems before leaving. My intestines make noise when it is quiet around and I cannot eat without going to the bathroom in the next 10 minutes. Any advice anyone?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i know just what you are talking about.i have the same thing and it has ruled my life. always saying i don't want to go or some excuss.i started takeing Librax and it has helped out alot, but i would get diarrea bad also, and it has stopped that. i also was takeing wellbutrin for the anxiety but it is still here. i just came back from my dr. and she put me on Lexapro 10 mg

·
Registered
6 Posts
IT's strange to hear so many people talking about the same things with symptoms and advice. I have also found (through trial and error) that some sugar free foods can make my IBS worse. One of them is the coating on my anti-depressant tablets I WAS taking (citralapram) the coating on the round tablets set off IBS attack. Have now changed to cipramil which has a different coating. Amazing little hidden things like that have such a devastating affect on IBS. Also sugar free mints and chewing gum are off the menu, seem to be ok with sugar free drinks...so far. My advise....always read the label on food and anything you dont know what it is , look it up , its usually a chemical thats discuising itself as sweetener.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.