Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this board today and am wondering if any of you feel the same way I do. I was recently diagnosed with IBS although I have had it for most of my life. My problem seems to be that every time I get in a situation where I can't get to a bathroom, my mind instantly tells the rest of my body that its time to go. I have daily problems with this in classes, any time I know I have to sit somewhere for a long time without being able to get up and leave(i.e. interviews), and sometimes when I'm riding in the car with someone else. Its terrible. If anyone feels the same way I do or happens to have any advice, please let me know. Thanks!

G

·
Yes. I feel that way many times, not as often as I used to as I have learned a number of techniques that have helped to alleviate the problem.But I certainly can relate. I still do not like being in the car unless I am the driver, and sometimes during client meetings I can get pretty irritated as it feels like I have to run to the toilet for hours upon hours.For the most part I have to say that my IBS has improved with age.Good luck and remember that you are not the only one with this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I get that way too, especially when I'm embarking on a long car trip with another person. Planes , and flying, make me super nervous because you can hear everythign in those little bathrooms and everyone's watching you so they all know..Exams in school do it to me too. Something about knowign that you can't get to a bathroom for a certain amount of time. But I find that this little trick works. You set time limits. 5 mins, and if i feel the same or worse, i'll just leave, if not i'll just wait another 5 mins.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep, im the same way and it doesn't matter where I am, I can be at home and i'll be ok but if someones taking a long bath then everything goes to hell as my brain thinks oh bathroom is occupied lets see what I can do...Anti Anxiety drugs probably will help you out, I know when I have a job and go back the doc im definately going to try and get myself on Anti Anxiety meds. I know I have always suffered with Anxiety but I never went to the doc before IBS started ruining my life. I tried relaxation but nope that doesn't help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.