Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes I do, My anxiety started last year when my Ibs-d became so bad I would get into a right state worrying where the nearest toilet was and would I get there in time, it got so bad I wouldnt go out, now I go out only when have to and to go to cognitive behaviour therapy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes i have this have GAD what does she expect when the pain gets really bad am on Mirt 4 it doesnt help the pain at all but does calm me down keep thinking i have something really wrong with me as i cant seem 2 put the weight back on i have lost and they have missed something more serious. Saying that i have had every test known 2 man and more all they have come up with is IBS and an iffy gall bladder empties 2 fast after eating but have no idea what they will do about it if anything.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Yes I have GAD. I have had anxiety for over 3 years now. I am on Buspar for anxiety and Nortripyline 30mg for the IBS..When My stomach starts cramping, my anxiety gets worse, and when my anxiety gets worse my IBS does..I have all tests done for IBS, all clear,but I still think that there is something else wrong, and that it carnt be IBS because it it so painful at time. I have had to leave my job because of it.What meds are you on?Fiona

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS can be extremely painful. IBS is the most painful thing I have ever had.Nerves sending pain signals for no good reason are the most painful conditions on the planet.It is not true that you only get pain if something "real" is wrong. Nerves can go bad and if they are a pain nerve they can be sending screaming pain signals all the time just because that nerve is no longer responding appropriately.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My anxiety mainly comes from lights and sounds, as well as stress, im easily stressed and have slight OCD on a few things...my doctor also said that i always try and have to have a definate answer for problems im suffering from or that i need to know everything to keep everything in my control, either knowing a cure or having a direct answer, since finidng out about my IBSi suppose ive struggled as its not the same with everyone, all the trigger factors and outcomes are different with everyone e.g. wheat intolerance, dairy etc or even stress...I havent heard of cognitive behavioural therapy? is that something i do alone or is it like a therapy group session? My doctor has prescribed me some light herbal medications as i dont agree with most meds and usually get all + more of the side effects without any of the cure/help..

·
Registered
976 Posts
You can do cognitive behaviour therapy privately or as you are in the uk your doctor should be able to arrange this for you through the nhs, its usually done on a one to one basis, my doctor arranged mine. It can be very beneficial to some people, I am struggling with my anxiety and I take buspar and mirtazapine for it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
MouthHave the Doctors mentioned maybe taking your Gallbladder out?I to have lost weight but no one is concerned so i try not to worry to much about it.Like yourself had every test done and all came back normal.Why do i still feel so ill then!Wish someone had an answer to that.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Magic it is fairly common. Please see our Managing Anxiety and Depression Forum. Use the site navigator with the drop down arrow at the bottom right of the page to see ALL of our Forums.Or just click here to get to the Managing Anxiety & Depression Forum: http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showforum=31

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi magicfish. I too am in Lancashire. I have CBT privately, but I have had to leave my job because of my anxiety. I am going to ask my doctor to refer me to the NHS.You are like me QUOTE "my doctor also said that i always try and have to have a definate answer for problems im suffering from or that i need to know everything to keep everything in my control, either knowing a cure or having a direct answer, since finidng out about my IBSi suppose ive struggled as its not the same with everyone, all the trigger factors and outcomes are different with everyone e.g. wheat intolerance, dairy etc or even stress..."I am the same. I am struggling with Anxiety/IBS. I have bad stomach cramps,and I can not beleive its IBS.. must be something else.. but all the test I've had are negative.. Kathleen - How did you get your IBS under control?Fiona

·
Registered
373 Posts
My anxiety is as a direct result of the NHS dragging it's feet over diagnosing me properly.GP too slow to refer, system too slow in getting tests done, GI consultant refusing to ever belive it could be my gallbladder.New GI bloke i've seen referred me immediately to a gallbladder surgeon.I'm now under the care of a psychiatrist and on medication because of all this!To say i'm bitter is an understatement......and i work for the NHS!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am convinced a good proportion of folk with IBS will actually have gallbladder issues.It can be notoriously difficult to diagnose issues within the billiary tree.A malfunctioning GB can cause pain anywhere across the upper abdomen, also nausea, constipation, diarrhoea and vomiting....sound familiar? Get it checked out. If your docs won't then insist!You don't have to be fat, female and fair to have GB issues (tho docs think you do!).

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
i also suffer with anxiety panic that was definately caused by IBS D..i used to be a very outgoing person always smiling ,helping otheres, going out doing things...now i am depressed anxious and very angry over what this disease has done to me and my life. i fear going out because i might have an accident,,i know it happens but i could never deal with it and the embarrassment of it all. i take imodium, lonox, xanax as needed but after all that sometimes nothing works and iam left to deal with getting stuck in a store for hours until this demon lets up for 1/2 hr to let me get home. i still think if all these ibs meds do not work it is not ibs,but try telling this to what we now call doctors....not the same docs that i went to inthe 50's 60's today itis all about money scopes scopes that is where the bucks are...how did they find your GI problem long time ago?? people got diag, with colitus, spastic colon>>> i am done with all these $$$$$$$$tests but as for the anxiety i know for sure diarreha has caused it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Diana63 Waiting 2 c consultant again do not have an appointment as yet will let u know what he says comes 2 something when u have 2 pay privately though, if i hadnt paid would never have had the HIDA scan and wouldnt have known. Only developed the anxiety when the i developed the IBS now on Mirt no use whatsoever 4 the IBS still in pain and still no weight gain which depresses me even more never ending circle

·
Registered
373 Posts
I too had to go private to get a DR to refer me for the HIDA scan!If i hadn't i would never have got it.....and i would never have known it was borderline dysfunctional.I always suspected it was...my GI refused to even think it was anything to do with my gallbladder. I now have no faith in the guy as a Dr whatsoever! Utterly useless in my eyes and i will refuse point blank to ever be seen by him again.In fact if i get relief of my symptoms after GB removal i will be writing a formal letter of complaint and probably issuing legal proceedings to get my private consultation fees back.

·
Registered
208 Posts
HiI too had to got Private to see my consultant. I would still be waiting. I have no faith in some doctors, as 3 years agao I had an ear infection, my doctor at that time said I didnt 4 weeks later, having insisted I see a ENT consultant,Iwas havnig my ears looks at, having a serious infection.I stressed so much about this, I damaged my TM joint, and had to see a maxifacial con, go on nortriptline and after 12 months having a steriod injection. coming of the Nort, I developed stomach problems, and IBS..all this over a doctor not treating my ear..hence not with this doc anymore..so dont talk to me about doctors..!Can I ask what is HIDA test please?.. what does the gall bladder do?.. and how would you know if you had a problem?F x

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well the gallbladder is situated just below the liver. It regulates bile release upon stimulation by eating.A HIDA scan tests how well it functions. The medics inject you with CCK a (fat hormone) which stimulates the gallbladder to contract and release bile. The release of bile is measured as a percentage. Anything above 35% is considered normal. Anything below 35% is abnormal. And usually means the gallbladder is dysfunctional. The HIDA scan also shows up the major structures of the GB and can highlight strictures in the tubing coming out of the GB.Typical symptoms of gallbladder problems are pain under the right ribs (especially after eating a fatty meal)..this pain can radiate to the shoulder. Nausea, vomiting, chills, and diahroea.Common GB problems are stones. And most docs only check for these (forgetting that a GB without stones can still be dysfunctional). . . .it is extremely frustrating attitude to say the least.

·
Registered
208 Posts
How did you find it it was your GB?.. Did you go for a second opion?Are you on anxiety pills? I am..Buspar.. I have developed Anxiety due to the ear infection. My anxiety is bad at the mo, because of the cramps. U are in the UK?. My con is at Chorley Hospital. he is good. done all test, even tested for cealic.which was negative.I suppose the only good thing that has came out of this is that I lost 2 stone.. Bit of a harsh way,tho!.. too thin now.I dont blame you in taking legal action against your doc. My husband wanted me to, but all I want is to be well and do normal things again.Fiona

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.