Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi EveryoneI am new member to this site and relate to most of the stories posted. I am 23 years old with my first symptoms presenting at the age of 19. I used to be very socialble always going out but through the years finding myself staying home. I am in university and currently in my third year and doing alright even though I miss a lot of classes due to IBS. I find mine is purely anxiety related as I can eat anything I want and if I stay home nothing happens. It is only when I go out and fortunatly I do not get any cramping or pain just D. I find if I take immodium it makes it worse believe it or not. I have been to the doctors countless number of times and none have suggested anxiety meds.. I would just wondering if I should inquire about this or if anyone is on anxiety meds and if it works for them...Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You should definately inquire about anxiety medication. Depending on your needs a newer antipressant like Paxil, Celexa, Lexpro or Effexor may provide some relief (i personally take Effexor and find it quite helpful for anxiety). Another route may be a minor tranquilizer such as buspar (non-habit forming) or a benzodiazipine tranquilizer like Ativan or Xanax may help. (these two drugs may be habit forming). Another problem with this kind of tranquilizer is that as time goes on you may need more of the drug to get the same effect. You should definately sit down with your doctor and have a good conversation to determine what medications will help your anxiety the most. (you can take a antidepressant and tranquilizer together as well) Good luck and take care!

·
Registered
116 Posts
You should definately inquire about anxiety medication. Depending on your needs a newer antipressant like Paxil, Celexa, Lexpro or Effexor may provide some relief (i personally take Effexor and find it quite helpful for anxiety). Another route may be a minor tranquilizer such as buspar (non-habit forming) or a benzodiazipine tranquilizer like Ativan or Xanax may help. (these two drugs may be habit forming). Another problem with this kind of tranquilizer is that as time goes on you may need more of the drug to get the same effect. You should definately sit down with your doctor and have a good conversation to determine what medications will help your anxiety the most. (you can take a antidepressant and tranquilizer together as well) Good luck and take care!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I agree- definitely ask about anxiety meds. I use Ativan- I find just half of one makes a difference. It doesn't make you forget you have anxiety, but it quells it and it doesn't manifest into some physical torture like D. I just take it when I need it.I have had D continue even after taking Immodium (like once or twice it's happened) and it could be because you're so nervous the Immodium won't work that the anxiety overrides it somehow.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I agree- definitely ask about anxiety meds. I use Ativan- I find just half of one makes a difference. It doesn't make you forget you have anxiety, but it quells it and it doesn't manifest into some physical torture like D. I just take it when I need it.I have had D continue even after taking Immodium (like once or twice it's happened) and it could be because you're so nervous the Immodium won't work that the anxiety overrides it somehow.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi Getting_through_it, Imodium does not help me either, Kaopectate does. I take Buspar and find it really helps my anxiety induced D. I am very sensitive and have tried my antidepressants and couldn't tolerate them they made me feel very tried. Then my general practitioner gave me Buspar and I finally found relief and it does not make me tired at all. Treat your anxiety you will feel so much better.------------------My story: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=17;t=000155

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi Getting_through_it, Imodium does not help me either, Kaopectate does. I take Buspar and find it really helps my anxiety induced D. I am very sensitive and have tried my antidepressants and couldn't tolerate them they made me feel very tried. Then my general practitioner gave me Buspar and I finally found relief and it does not make me tired at all. Treat your anxiety you will feel so much better.------------------My story: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=17;t=000155

·
Registered
144 Posts
I dont have the problem with imodium not working, it seems to do the trick when i have an anxiety attack. I take Prozac which seems to be working just fine. My bowel is a lot more settled and the side effects which were not nice only lasted about a week. Speak to your doc about the various anti depressants. Best of luck. Kelly x

·
Registered
144 Posts
I dont have the problem with imodium not working, it seems to do the trick when i have an anxiety attack. I take Prozac which seems to be working just fine. My bowel is a lot more settled and the side effects which were not nice only lasted about a week. Speak to your doc about the various anti depressants. Best of luck. Kelly x

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi Talissa ,I get plenty of Exercise living in a 3rd floor condo and raising 2 children one that is a teen. I have anxiety disorder and have tried everything and what I find that works is Buspar and Donnatal. Since I have been on theses medication my life has been given back to me. I don't misss being homebound because of D and major anxiety disorder. Life is great!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi Talissa ,I get plenty of Exercise living in a 3rd floor condo and raising 2 children one that is a teen. I have anxiety disorder and have tried everything and what I find that works is Buspar and Donnatal. Since I have been on theses medication my life has been given back to me. I don't misss being homebound because of D and major anxiety disorder. Life is great!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Everyone Thank you so much for the great replies and information. To Talissa who suggested excercise I already work out 5 times a week at the YMCA for the past couple of years cause I also heard that it reduces anxiety. Anyway thanks again everyone

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Everyone Thank you so much for the great replies and information. To Talissa who suggested excercise I already work out 5 times a week at the YMCA for the past couple of years cause I also heard that it reduces anxiety. Anyway thanks again everyone

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Greeen, that's cool. I'm glad you feel good abt yourself & good enough to take care of your kids and get out there!Gti, well there you go...calif's suggestion, though, re: yoga & meditation is TERRIFIC. (that's what helped me when I had severe IBS-D after an infection, and the ensuing social anxiety...which dissipated after I got the D under control)Anyways, just in case it was missed, there's some great natural products to try on the 3rd link above(diagnose-me.com) and some sobering survivor stories on the 4th link that should be mandatory reading for anyone considering starting on the path of antidepressants...weighing the risks, possible benefits...And I'll concede that for some, the benefits are worth the risks. Pulling for ALL of us, whichever path's chosen,Talissa

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Greeen, that's cool. I'm glad you feel good abt yourself & good enough to take care of your kids and get out there!Gti, well there you go...calif's suggestion, though, re: yoga & meditation is TERRIFIC. (that's what helped me when I had severe IBS-D after an infection, and the ensuing social anxiety...which dissipated after I got the D under control)Anyways, just in case it was missed, there's some great natural products to try on the 3rd link above(diagnose-me.com) and some sobering survivor stories on the 4th link that should be mandatory reading for anyone considering starting on the path of antidepressants...weighing the risks, possible benefits...And I'll concede that for some, the benefits are worth the risks. Pulling for ALL of us, whichever path's chosen,Talissa

·
Registered
284 Posts
Talissa,Hi maybe you might know something I have been wondering about. My sister just started taking Omega 3. She said it is good for general health and IBS D too. You seem like the healthy type and might know more about Omega 3 and IBS?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.