Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have suffered from IBS for about 6 Years now and recently I came on this web site because my problem has increasingly gotten worse. I have started taking Caltrate every day and 1 immodium every other day and that has greatly helped with the diarrhea problem but because of my few very close calls before I started all this my anxiety takes over my body and I cannot leave my house. I have anxiety attacks just going to the store down the street. I have an engagement party to go to this weekend and it's an hour and a half drive away. I am afraid I won't make it. On top of that I'm getting married in a year and that is what really terrifies me that I won't be able to make it down the aisle without having to run to the toilet. Does anyone have any relaxation techniques?

·
Registered
441 Posts
TJTWelcome to the board. When you have a chance, take some time and read up here...I think you will find some tips to help you a lot.It sounds like you are not or have not tried a lot of things yet to control your D and your anxiety.One imodium every other day or even every day, will likely not slow your gut down too much. Many here take anti-anxiety meds which can really turn your life around when you need them...just takes the edge off.I recently have had luck using fiber (see my post on Konsyl fiber update if you are interested) as it makes the stool more formed and predictable.There are a lot of medications others have great success with too.I've had IBS for 18 years, some lucky ones actually "beat" this problem, but most of us just learn ways to deal with it. I have 4 kids, 6 grandkids, have gone to weddings, parties, babtisms, traveled a lot...but it's not always easy.Please don't let it run your life and keep you in the house....try more things, and talk to your doctor. I know you will end up walking down the aisle as a beautiful, confident bride.Jeanne

·
Registered
222 Posts
TJT.. Welcome to the board, wish you didn't need it but it is a great resource. I agree with jeanne2. Read and research will help get you through, but I just wanted to share an experience with you. My daughter who is 22 with IBS just got married last year and as with you was worried, but the day came and she was fine and beautiful, and calmer that the rest of us. She said after that she just felt it was such a special day and that she was so happy to be marrying the love of her life that she didn't even think about it,, but she took 2 immodium in the morning just in case. You will do fine and it will go well I am sure, but as a 30 year sufferer of IBS, I still recommend a couple of "just in case" immodiums when you get up the morning of the wedding. I also took a couple before I walked my daughter down the aisle. Good Luck, God Bless and for relaxation methods, research the "Relaxation Response" process. it is basically deep breathing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.