Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a routine appt today to see my GP. She has decided that I don't have IBS because she says people with IBS dont have great urgency like me. She has come to the conclusion that I have nervous diarrhoea as a result of sphinter damage during childbirth causing urgency/incontinence. She has given me propanolol and some diazepam to see which I think works best. Obviously she would rather me stick to the propanolol and not become addicted to diazepam. I said I only wanted these for very occasional use ie when I have to go to a meeting early in the morning-that is my rush time! Anyway, just thought I would let you know that people with IBS dont have urgency-according to her! I'm sure you are going to tell me different but remember GPs are the experts!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wow... oy. So sorry Petra. But I hope the meds help at least.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that. This is too sad and time for a new doctor.Mark

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't tell if you are kidding but please don't be sad for me-nothing has changed-I'm sure I have IBS and it is nonsense to suggest that people with IBS don't have urgency. Was just making that point. Maybe something can be done for other damage caused at childbirth and maybe ultimately that could result in major surgery. Either way the prospects have never been good and I've been living with it for too long to expect a happy outcome although for some reason we keep trying. After a while you run out of ideas and maybe that is when you give up and something else comes along and gets you. Sorry-on a bit of a down tonight.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
No I was not kidding at all.... I think it is a shame that your Dr isn't at all ..as in even slightly educated on IBS.(((((Petra))))) Hugs for you. Perfectly understandable that you are feeling down a bit... It is ok. We get it. And ya never know.. something to help you may very well come along or you may discover something helps. Try to keep your hope.. I know it is hard.. trust me... but try. That's all any of us can do is try. Speaking of which....Try giving thinking about it all a rest for the weekend and do something nice for yourself!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.