Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 27 year old female who is desperate for just someone to listen to me and atleast offer your two cents! I will try to make this short!I just saw a NEW gastro DR and was told I have IBS and he put me on 2.5MG of Lomotil as needed and 2MG of Robinul Forte..The lomotil was a like a MIRACLE for the first 3 weeks and the Robinul made me sick to my stomach...I was extremely sick with D yesterday so I took 2 lomotil throughout the day then 1 Levsin from a previous DR and 2 Immodium...Never the less nothing worked and I woke up after a sleepless night with a sore right eye that was uncontrolubly twitching on the bottom lid well that did not stop for a whole 2 hours and 56 minutes...All of which scared me to death!!!My IBS symptoms started all after I had surgery for a hiatle hernia last April...With the IBS i have both C & D and a burning stomach along with extreme bloating and am just sick all the time...I have been to 2 gastro Dr and been on Dicycolmine which made my D worse and Donnatal which was like just taking water then the Levsin which mildly works but my body temp goes way up and I freak everyone out at work cause I am so red and the Lomotil works from time to time so I end up taking Immodium after Immodium after Immodium.The last gastro DR I went to seems to think that when I had my surgery the surgeon clipped something in my stomach and that could be the cause of this so he told me to take the Robinul and then try and wing myself off the Lomotil...Are you kidding if something works even for a little bit I will take it...What he says is just crazy...Was absolutely no help!!!My mom seems to think I am allerigic to yeast products and stuff and wants me to go on a whole foods diet...Vitamins are of no help!Basically I am trying to make a long story short and am just now desperate for any advice or opinions anyone has to offer. Anything would be greatly appreciated.Thank You!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have pretty much had trouble sleeping my entire life so I can never really tell if it is just my unnormal sleeping pattern (make sense?) or the medicine...The levsin makes me extemely thirsty and I dont think it really help all though it is hard for me to tell because nothing is really helping me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have pretty much had trouble sleeping my entire life so I can never really tell if it is just my unnormal sleeping pattern (make sense?) or the medicine...The levsin makes me extemely thirsty and I dont think it really help all though it is hard for me to tell because nothing is really helping me

·
Registered
190 Posts
eskimomo,Sorry to hear of the predicament you are in. I've had IBS since my early teens (I'm 43 now) and I've had many of the symptoms you describe at various times over the years. For me, the bottom-half is what gives me trouble, my stomach usually doesn't bother me. However, I can remember an episode about 5 years ago that might relate to what you're going through. I got poisoned by eating a Checkers burger. That caused the worst D attack I have ever had (and I've had thousands). My insides got so irritated I felt like my system was cleaned out with a wire brush. I was really sore inside! Even after a few weeks I still had D attacks and the pain was fairly constant. Months later I still felt lousy and still had the 'rubbed raw' feeling as well as D almost every day no matter what I ate. I finally decided to see the doctor. He explained that my insides were, in fact, probably very irritated and we would have to cut down the acid for a while to allow them to heal. He put me on 400mg Cimetidine (Tagamet) twice daily. He also told me to use Loperamide (Immodium) as needed to keep the D minimized but not let myself get clogged up. I've been using Dicyclomine (Bentyl) for years and I took that to keep the spasms down. I also changed my diet to foods that were not spicy or seasoned with any kind of pepper. A couple of weeks later the 'rubbed raw' feeling changed to an 'itchy' feeling. You know how when you get a cut on your skin and it's healing it starts itching a bit? That was the feeling I had in my guts. I wanted to scratch so badly but obviously couldn't. That was the indication that I was healing up inside. As I healed up the pain subsided and within a few more months I was back to my normal self. I stopped taking the Cimetadine after I got better because of side effects that both me and my better-half really disliked (it screws up your reproductive system, if you know what I mean). Since then I've made some observations related to excess stomach acid and how I'm going to feel the next day. If I get heartburn to where I can definitely feel it I am probably too late with the antacid. My stomach has already dumped a bunch of acid into my intestines and chances are in about 12 to 20 hours I will be passing lava and having a mild D attack. I have to be vigilant and if I sense that I may be getting heartburn I have to take the antacid, preferably 1 tsp baking soda in half glass of water, immediately. I like baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) because it neutralizes the acid RIGHT NOW, not sometime later when it gets damn good and ready to like the calcium and magnesium products. I take the baking soda ****tail, make sure I'm standing straight up, and within a minute I am burping up a storm-- just like if you drank a Pepsi real fast. This lasts for a couple of minutes as the acid is neutralized. Afterwards I'm all better and chances are very good I won't end up with a lava attack the next day. Some people say that taking baking soda isn't good for you because of the high sodium content but if it works....... well? My blood pressure is normal and all my other numbers like cholesterol are within the normal range as of the last blood test, so what the heck? At least I feel better. I refuse to take the acid-blockers like Pepcid AC or Zantac because they cause the same side-effects as Cimetidine. The calcium and 'metals' (aluminum and magnesium hydroxide) don't work fast enough or completely enough. If I keep the excess acid under control I can greatly reduce the discomfort and D attacks. Maybe you've got something similar? I don't see how a food allergy would come up so quickly, (anythings possible though) and the fact that the IBS started right after your hernia operation kind of rules the allergy out. Hopefully your doctor can get you some relief. Sometimes it can be hell living with a digestive disorder but at least it's becoming more widely recognized by the medical community and, believe me, you're not the only one with IBS!! Good luck.Bob

·
Registered
190 Posts
eskimomo,Sorry to hear of the predicament you are in. I've had IBS since my early teens (I'm 43 now) and I've had many of the symptoms you describe at various times over the years. For me, the bottom-half is what gives me trouble, my stomach usually doesn't bother me. However, I can remember an episode about 5 years ago that might relate to what you're going through. I got poisoned by eating a Checkers burger. That caused the worst D attack I have ever had (and I've had thousands). My insides got so irritated I felt like my system was cleaned out with a wire brush. I was really sore inside! Even after a few weeks I still had D attacks and the pain was fairly constant. Months later I still felt lousy and still had the 'rubbed raw' feeling as well as D almost every day no matter what I ate. I finally decided to see the doctor. He explained that my insides were, in fact, probably very irritated and we would have to cut down the acid for a while to allow them to heal. He put me on 400mg Cimetidine (Tagamet) twice daily. He also told me to use Loperamide (Immodium) as needed to keep the D minimized but not let myself get clogged up. I've been using Dicyclomine (Bentyl) for years and I took that to keep the spasms down. I also changed my diet to foods that were not spicy or seasoned with any kind of pepper. A couple of weeks later the 'rubbed raw' feeling changed to an 'itchy' feeling. You know how when you get a cut on your skin and it's healing it starts itching a bit? That was the feeling I had in my guts. I wanted to scratch so badly but obviously couldn't. That was the indication that I was healing up inside. As I healed up the pain subsided and within a few more months I was back to my normal self. I stopped taking the Cimetadine after I got better because of side effects that both me and my better-half really disliked (it screws up your reproductive system, if you know what I mean). Since then I've made some observations related to excess stomach acid and how I'm going to feel the next day. If I get heartburn to where I can definitely feel it I am probably too late with the antacid. My stomach has already dumped a bunch of acid into my intestines and chances are in about 12 to 20 hours I will be passing lava and having a mild D attack. I have to be vigilant and if I sense that I may be getting heartburn I have to take the antacid, preferably 1 tsp baking soda in half glass of water, immediately. I like baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) because it neutralizes the acid RIGHT NOW, not sometime later when it gets damn good and ready to like the calcium and magnesium products. I take the baking soda ****tail, make sure I'm standing straight up, and within a minute I am burping up a storm-- just like if you drank a Pepsi real fast. This lasts for a couple of minutes as the acid is neutralized. Afterwards I'm all better and chances are very good I won't end up with a lava attack the next day. Some people say that taking baking soda isn't good for you because of the high sodium content but if it works....... well? My blood pressure is normal and all my other numbers like cholesterol are within the normal range as of the last blood test, so what the heck? At least I feel better. I refuse to take the acid-blockers like Pepcid AC or Zantac because they cause the same side-effects as Cimetidine. The calcium and 'metals' (aluminum and magnesium hydroxide) don't work fast enough or completely enough. If I keep the excess acid under control I can greatly reduce the discomfort and D attacks. Maybe you've got something similar? I don't see how a food allergy would come up so quickly, (anythings possible though) and the fact that the IBS started right after your hernia operation kind of rules the allergy out. Hopefully your doctor can get you some relief. Sometimes it can be hell living with a digestive disorder but at least it's becoming more widely recognized by the medical community and, believe me, you're not the only one with IBS!! Good luck.Bob

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A few things...I get an eyelid twitch sometimes...far more likely to get it when I'm fatigued.My face often gets bright red during an attack, and I feel really warm. Sometimes I get hot flashes, sometimes cold chills. What fun.It seems like lately when I take Immodium I am more likely to have a burning stomach. If I'm home and I can run to the bathroom repeatedly as needed, I will often try to not take Immodium or use it very sparingly.Bobby, pardon me for being dense here, but the side effects you were talking about with Tagamet... is that one that would only affect men? (Directly, that is
) I took Tagamet for years and was unaware of any sexual side effects. But I don't think my dr. was very concerned about those when prescribing them to a 13 year old girl. I take Pepcid now... it's stronger than Tagamet.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A few things...I get an eyelid twitch sometimes...far more likely to get it when I'm fatigued.My face often gets bright red during an attack, and I feel really warm. Sometimes I get hot flashes, sometimes cold chills. What fun.It seems like lately when I take Immodium I am more likely to have a burning stomach. If I'm home and I can run to the bathroom repeatedly as needed, I will often try to not take Immodium or use it very sparingly.Bobby, pardon me for being dense here, but the side effects you were talking about with Tagamet... is that one that would only affect men? (Directly, that is
) I took Tagamet for years and was unaware of any sexual side effects. But I don't think my dr. was very concerned about those when prescribing them to a 13 year old girl. I take Pepcid now... it's stronger than Tagamet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Luna,I don't know how Tagamet would affect a woman, but I can tell you it adversely affected my reproductive system within about 3 weeks of starting the treatment. I mean, halfway just doesn't cut it! I'm 43, not 93! About two months after stopping the Tagamet I was back to 'full strength'. I've read that all of the acid-blockers can do this to one degree or another. The desire was still there-- it's just that the equipment was being uncooperative! I'm sure Tagamet affects each person differently. I was also on a relatively high dose. I'd guess that the OTC dose of 200mg may not have as many side effects.Bob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Luna,I don't know how Tagamet would affect a woman, but I can tell you it adversely affected my reproductive system within about 3 weeks of starting the treatment. I mean, halfway just doesn't cut it! I'm 43, not 93! About two months after stopping the Tagamet I was back to 'full strength'. I've read that all of the acid-blockers can do this to one degree or another. The desire was still there-- it's just that the equipment was being uncooperative! I'm sure Tagamet affects each person differently. I was also on a relatively high dose. I'd guess that the OTC dose of 200mg may not have as many side effects.Bob

·
Registered
169 Posts
this regaring the antiacids for the stomache. ive been on prilosce for 3 years now and this does seem to help and the gastro doc cant figure out why. hey, it helps so dont mess with it. i was on tagamet 4x a day at 400 mg. each because i could actually feel when it "wore" off, my intestines would ache and growl bigtime! it definately doesnt fix the problem but helps and sometimes at my bad times i also add a prilosec to ease the pain.

·
Registered
169 Posts
this regaring the antiacids for the stomache. ive been on prilosce for 3 years now and this does seem to help and the gastro doc cant figure out why. hey, it helps so dont mess with it. i was on tagamet 4x a day at 400 mg. each because i could actually feel when it "wore" off, my intestines would ache and growl bigtime! it definately doesnt fix the problem but helps and sometimes at my bad times i also add a prilosec to ease the pain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.