Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I gave my son (7) miralax in the am and i the pm with dinner- also two doses of mineral oil. by late late afternoon he had gone one little time - it has been 4-5 days. He was home from school b/c his stomache hurt. so by 5pm I gave him a fleeet enema- only water came back out. he had miralax at dinner too and this am nothing... whats is goiing on? should I be worried and what should I do? My guess is to try the enema again this afetrnoon.poor kid is like me, when he gdoes go it isn't much. so for him to not go 4-5 days is bad.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i would try it again like you said and then if its just water again or not alot then get the next possible appointment with the doctors, poor little guy, i know its bad when you are an adult but a little kid is just awful because im sure he wouldnt understand why he gets all thsi pain. if hes in too much pain before you can get an appointment id take him to the hospital and explain that hes in alot of pain and you have tried everything you can. he must be really blocked up because im sure he should go more than that, how long has it been in total since hes had a really good bm, sort of like flushed out?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here are three posts I've written about partial intestinal blockage:"When somebody becomes "insanely constipated" like you described and starts to develop blockages in the intestines, several unpleasant secondary(extra-intestinal) symptoms can emerge. The person will notice that he/she will drastically lose their flexibility and, as a result, their posture will suffer greatly which will inturn result in problems with being short of breath and severe localized back pain. Depending on where the blockage is and what organs it is pressing against, the person will also experience sharp pains usually exactly where the blockage is located and will feel a tender "golf-ball" size lump in the area manipulated. If the blockage is close to where the bladder is, it can indeed prevent it from filling up and stretching to its full capacity and thus lead to urinary urgency which isn't too much of a cause for concern. The greatest danger lies in the pressure build-up on the intestinal wall by the blockage itself. This is why it is important to have the strongest stimulant laxatives available at your disposal like Maximum strength Ex-lax and Castor Oil. A word of warning is that a person can become dependent on these sort of laxatives and develop a sluggish colon if used on a regular basis but if you feel like you're dying, then it is the lesser of two evils. Enemas usually don't work well when the blockages are situated in the upper small intestines but are definitely worth a shot. You will definitely want to give yourself a lube-job with mineral oil to soften up the blockage and slicken up the walls. It might also be wise not to eat any solids at this time if you discern that it will only make matters worse by clogging up the works. You will want to drink a lot of water, gatorade or pedialite(for electrolytes lost using laxatives especially since they're vital for peristalsis), prune juice, peppermint tea, and even a protein shake for energy if you're not eating. Last of all, you'll want to massage your abdomen in a clockwise matter looking down and hopefully try to break down the blockage. Don't push too hard if there's pain. You don't want to rupture your intestinal wall since its already under pressure, then you're really in trouble. Once you're in the "safe zone", it is important now to find out the root cause of your problem by going to a urologist or gastro-enterologist if you haven't already. Personally, my root cause is a sensitivity to medication that affects the nervous system like Lexapro and Paxil, so I found that my symptoms would alleviate as I lowered my dosage. Another cause for chronic constipation and IBS-C is a bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine. This can be treated with a prescription for oral Neomycin which targets methane-producing bacteria which has been shown to cause constipation.""I really should relate my recent story of taking so many laxatives that I became dehydrated and landed in the ER. Laxatives wash out water and electrolytes, both of which are needed for proper motility so if you take laxatives you MUST drink water and replenish your electrolytes with Gatorade or Pedilyte. Finally when they agreed to hook me up with Saline IV drip, I started to feel like I was a withered plant being watered. The spasms went away and I actually could feel the water returning to my dried out eyes. Before I had this episode I was alternating between MOM and 2 exlax every other day but was not finding relief for my painful partial blockages. Out of desparation, the next day I took 4 Ex-lax and that was when I felt my life was in critical danger so I headed for the ER. I know that a lot of you can't go without laxatives but you should remember to keep hydrating yourself and try to find out the real reason for the constipation.""If you're constipated and are experiencing pain then you immediately have to consider a partial blockage of hard stool stuck in the intestines. If you feel naueous and are experiencing pain then the blockage is likely in the small intestine. You likely lost weight since you're not eating as much due to the intestinal pain. Have you tried laxatives? I found Ex-Lax works the best but should only be used sparingly. I found that drinking a lot of water, massaging the abdomen in a clockwise matter looking down, and water enemas are the safest method of breaking up and freeing blockages."The ER is not trained very well in the area of intestinal blockage. The very first thing you should request is a saline IV drip to help rehydrate your body since the intestines need proper moisture to work. Second, you should ask that they test for electrolytes, which they will help replenish if it comes back low.For complete blockage of the intestines, where even gas doesn't pass through, it is important to request a "naso-gastric tube" or otherwise known as "intestinal intubation with continous suction" which helps relieve the air pressure buildup on the intestinal wall.Last of all, in the most severe cases they will give parasympathic(cholinergic) drugs to help stimulate the intestines.I think you should be careful with the saline/osmotic laxatives(fleet enema, miralax) and give him Gatorade, Pedilyte, and Potassium supplements since that water that is coming out of him is dehydrating him. Water enemas are safe to use, you should stick with them. He should really be restricted to a liquid diet until all of this clears up. What do you think is the underlying problem here? What changes has he done recently to warrant this?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Take fleet phospho soda on an empty stomach (no food for the last 12 hours before taking this). Follow the dose on package for his age (should be 10 milliliters diluted with 1/4 glass of water). Follow with 3 full 8 ounce glasses of water within 60 minutes of taking. After cleanout start taking 500 mg of magnesium oxide before bedtime.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thnks guys for all the info... I gave him another fleeet yesterday and it worked. He had alot come out, noit just water this time. Will do one n=more today . the dr. said do 3 days in a row. hopefully this will do it- he is not compalining now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.