Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this site and am finding it very nice to hear comments from people my age. (21). And also dealing with the extreme stresses of living at school. Finnaly getting a house next year though. But like my post says, does anybody have a connection with marijuana like I do? I mean cigarettes are good but I quit them recently and Pot is something that really seems to help my condition. Also I was secretly taking prednisone which I am sure many of you are familiar with. Been reaserching it and decided I need to get myself off of it. I would take it because it was the only thing that would make me feel better. Pain is a strong motivator. But really pot has been something that just does wonders for me, and I belive should be given as a medical presciption to us with IBD. Anyway comments from you guys on these subjects would be great. Support for this is something that I am willing to accept, because it will further my mental state to finnaly accept this condidtion that I have been dening for the past 14years. Thanks guys -Luke

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Do you have IBD or IBS? Because these are both quite different? I thought that prednisone was only availible on perscription- so how were you taking it secretly? Sorry so many questions, but you need to be careful of taking these kind of htigs without docs supervision. If you have IBS then taking prednisone would not make any difference at all.It has been known for sufferers to smoke the odd bit of pot to help with pain- but it is illegal so i can't condone it. lol. I will bump up some other threads that have been posted before about cannibis and hope they help.Spliffy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IBD i believe and the drug was laying around. But please dont tell me that since pot is illegal it should not be condoned. I think that our ultimate goal should be to get off these drugs that the doctors are making us live on and cure ourselfs through diet and supplement. I really think it is a possible goal. Thanks for your response though it was thoughtful. And College is stressful!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
IBD you believe? Can you explain to me further?Well, pot is illegal so i don't really know what to say. I believe we have all tried it before so i can't really talk- but be careful. Saying your using it for medical reasons won't wash if your caught, not yet anyway.Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes IBS and thanks for your input. Coping with this takes many forms and i feel trapped in my circumstances sometimes. Thanks-Luke

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah actualy i recently have been on pentasa and this fantastic herbal aloe vera gel cap. Called A.M.P. BUt the streses of school life have lead me to take more drastic measures. Going home for the summer soon and i think that I will be able to get going real good. -Luke

·
Registered
56 Posts
What is IBD? I have IBS-D and when i get my nervous anxiety attacks of IBS, a hit or two of marijuana seems to calm my stomach and make me feel better. The only down side is that when i dont have the marijuana, i get nervous from that knowing there is none available! IBS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes thank you for knowing where i am comming from man! Weed really is something that keeps the stress down and the gut calmed.-Luke

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
IBD is things like Crohns Disease or Ulcerative Colitis which can be very serious and result in surgery. It causes weight loss and bleeding also and is ot good. IBS is what most of us here suffer from and does not include any inflammation or bleeding (well it shouldn't, but sometimes you can bleed from hemmies). If you are tested for IBS they should come up negetive because technically there is nothing wrong. Its functional. Hope this was helpful.So haven't you thought about going down other avenues for treatment? If you want to go natural i would suggest using hypnotherapy becuse you basically do everything with your mind. It works too!www.ibsaudioprogram.com or http://www.ibsaudioprogram100.com/

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
But then i have realised if you have colitis then hypno will prob not work because it was designed for IBS. But if you have both IBS and IBD then it could still be useful.Hope your feeling ok today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
weed does help. Twists the spasms into something different, you know its happening but no pain. When high you barely if at all notice the symptoms. If find coming down tiredness and IBS related fatigue makes me just fall asleep wherever I happen to be. Also munchies really mess me up. Have a few savory snacks and then you wake up the next morning and my spasms and almost-D hit me. Thats what has caused todays symptoms 3 packets of chrisps over 4 hours. It appears my IBS cannot handle things like chrisps, eggs are quite bad, more than a small amount of cheese, and currys (my GF is a Brummie and hates me for it!)I have also found IBS makes me "not be arsed" with anything as some of my friends put it, before when I was high I could play games til dawn, but now I just cant make it past 2am and I just crash out. Weed is also a good alternative to alchol. I know the legalities difference, but I can no longer drink any alcohol or fizzy drinks, so going out with friends is almost a waste of my time, try ordering a mineral water in my SU, you'll get laughed at. Whereas with weed (price is about the same) I do not get the same D and spasm problems. Alcohol makes my spasms worse for a good 24-48hrs after comsuming.I also know that weed is not a medicine for IBS, and have not and will never treat it as such. The only good effect relating it to IBS is for the night you are free from registering the symptoms, which especially if its been a bad week IBS wise can be amazingly relaxing.Stick with the meds prescribed by your GP, I have to take mine with anti-#### tablets (loperamide) but it can give a good few days a week, which during any bad patch (exams coming up now) can be so welcome.I know lost my orginal point again, but it feels nice to describe whats going on to somebody apart from my GF.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again I totally agree with your assesment, your preception as well as others. Pot really is a great thing and more should really give it a try. Esp for a illness such as this. Being mentally induced sometimes many times. Thanks-luke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great, I can now go from worrying about my IBS and not leaving the house during a bad day to smoking pot and not leaving the house because now I will be paranoid. Uhm, no thanks! I will stick to my loperamide. I say no to drugs.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Yes, i understand where you are coming from soon2benavygirl. You do have to be very careful because although cannibis is a reletively safe drug as they go you can suffer from paranoia and other related things. I can see how it would relax you, and if it works then go for it. But do be careful. You don't need to do that much of it for an effect.If you start a thread for "Sparkle" she will prbably tell you about her cannabis use for IBS. She has found it very effective. If you are in the UK and are caught smoking it on campus, then you will be kicked off campus, off your course and the police may be called, so beware!

·
Registered
8 Posts
thats why student houses are great for second years.As for paranoia, you have to smoke alot, and I mean alot (unless it doesnt affect me easily), basically its more than a hit or two to calm the syptoms, it would have be in full blown social smoke.I understand peoples aversion to the paranoia aspect, when people have scared the living #### out of me when I've been that far gone, my stomach cramped up wildly (but that was before people knew, before I even knew!). Its like alcohol its all got to be taken in moderation. And as I have said I find alcohol to be one the worst things to use, that really does cause my IBS to flair up for ages afterwards. Same with fizzy drinks so now all I drink is milk sparingly, along with tea and coffee (have to be careful about the caffine) and fruit squashes. Its just another hurdle to make and happily I havent had any desire for alcohol (apart from the homebrew we started ages ago) or fizzy drinks anymore.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know that here in Canada...or at least in Ontario you can get a doctor's prescription for pot if you are in chronic pain. I don't think IBSers qualify tho...its more like for AIDS, Cancer and MS patients.I don't know about most people but I've never touched drugs and I never will. I have too much to look forward to in life to become a pothead and risk getting arrested or kicked from school. I don't want to be flipping burgers for the rest of my life thnx.
I just take some immodium and tylenol and basically just suck it up. Pain isn't pleasant but its manageable.
I'm taking Lorazepam to deal w/ anxiety but it can be adictive so I even monitor that and I don't take it more than 5 times a week no matter how bad I feel.
I have enough to deal w/ the IBS without having addiction on top of that.Ya'll should be careful tho...you don't want to mess up your life for a couple of minutes of relief...buy some extra strength advil or something instead. Nobody's gonna arrest or expel you for that!
Hugz,Kestrel

·
Registered
8 Posts
the law in England is if you are caught with anything up to 1/8th of an ounce, which is usual for anyone person they will just take it off you. ANything over that you will get a caution and it taken off you. I think there is a 3 strikes and your out rule on cautions. To be fair you would have to be really stupid to carry it on you outside of your house. The police do not come down hard on people who use it, it is the dealers who get the law dropped on them.Expulsion from school is common and I have known it to happen at my secondary school ( a few years after my time there ) but thats when they put into a teachers cup of tea. People like deserve what they get. Univeristies can be hard on people, although last year in a block of 30 some other lads were using it alot and the place always stunk of it, and nothing ever happened. It must vary from place to place. Some drugs are bad and in that catagory I list alcohol and tobacco. Weed is not as addictive as cigarettes as the amount of tobacco used and for the short period of time means it takes alot more to get addictive. With cigarettes it can take some people up to 6 months to become addicted. Alcohol vs Weed has always been an issue. My experiences place alcohol as the worst between them. It can irritate some peoples IBS badly, and prolonged use can also cause liver problems and addiction. Being drunk is far more dangerous than being high, if you get as high as you need to be drunk you loose all interest in moving etc which stops violence and stupid incidents of horse play of which my campus suffers from alot. Weed can cause cancer, but again it is the tobacco that does this and if a person smokes weed but not cigarettes the likely look of any cancers developing is small.I have found that most peoples adversion to it, although enjoying alcohol can only be due to a taboo, its bad, its illegal. The only difference is in the UK, it isnt taxed, yet. Alcohol and cigarettes are drugs exactly the same, but they are legal and taxed.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
The only problem is that if you mix weed with tobacco eventually you will end up becoming addicted to tobacco. which is where the danger comes from.No matter wehat you say it isstill illegal to be caught with it on you. Next time i talk to miy friend, who is a police officer i will get all the info for you and write it up here. Im not sure about the3 strikes and your out thing. Police are coming down hard on any use whatsoever at the moment. If you are caught with it on your person they will make you chuck it away and watch you do it. If you are caught with a lot of it you'l be in big truble. I will fimd uot.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts