Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try effexor? Any experiences you can share?Flux,I spoke with Dr. Chang and she feels that effexor is the best med for my symptoms. Does this make sense to you? She also said it could help the tendinitis I am experiencing in my elbow and groin. I think she said it dulls the pain. What do you thinkThanks,Pete

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi:I have just weaned off Effexor XR. I don't recommend it myself, but others here have had luck with it. It really didn't help me at all. I was given it for it's constipating properties, and it didn't do anything for that. It increased my appetite so much that in about 3 months I gained 20 lbs. which was then I decided to go off. I started reading about it and the wean can be really bad. I took my time going from 112 mg to just a few mg's and took 2 1/2 months to do it. Finally, I decided to go off completely and it was horrible. I was depressed, irritable, crying and shakey. It took about two weeks to feel good again and I have read you can have withdrawals for a few months after you go off.I tell you this story, but I also say everyone is different. Personally, I would not encourage anyone to go on this med based on my experience. My daughter is on it (at my suggestion) and she wants to get off as well, but in the middle of classes and finals. So, take ALL the info you get and make an informed choice.Good luck

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi:I have just weaned off Effexor XR. I don't recommend it myself, but others here have had luck with it. It really didn't help me at all. I was given it for it's constipating properties, and it didn't do anything for that. It increased my appetite so much that in about 3 months I gained 20 lbs. which was then I decided to go off. I started reading about it and the wean can be really bad. I took my time going from 112 mg to just a few mg's and took 2 1/2 months to do it. Finally, I decided to go off completely and it was horrible. I was depressed, irritable, crying and shakey. It took about two weeks to feel good again and I have read you can have withdrawals for a few months after you go off.I tell you this story, but I also say everyone is different. Personally, I would not encourage anyone to go on this med based on my experience. My daughter is on it (at my suggestion) and she wants to get off as well, but in the middle of classes and finals. So, take ALL the info you get and make an informed choice.Good luck

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I started Effexor XR about 5 weeks ago. I started on one 37.5mg a day anf after a week increased it to 2 a day; morning and night.I have found it has helped me a lot. I do think I need an increase in strength, but how I am now and then is better. I went on it for depression and problems with social anxiety.I actually have lost weight on it...maybe because I am not sleeping as much; I dont know. For me, thus far at least, it has been a good thing.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I started Effexor XR about 5 weeks ago. I started on one 37.5mg a day anf after a week increased it to 2 a day; morning and night.I have found it has helped me a lot. I do think I need an increase in strength, but how I am now and then is better. I went on it for depression and problems with social anxiety.I actually have lost weight on it...maybe because I am not sleeping as much; I dont know. For me, thus far at least, it has been a good thing.

·
Banned
8,797 Posts
Pete I would like to update you on DA-IBS. It was of no use for fructose malabsorption. I tried it for three weeks and I introduced fructose last week. I had both gas and D. Just so you knowAre they suggesting Effexor for FI? Even if it slowed down youer intestinal transit, the malabsorbed food will get into your colon although at a slower rate. Might help with diarrhea if you have that, I suppose

·
Banned
8,797 Posts
Pete I would like to update you on DA-IBS. It was of no use for fructose malabsorption. I tried it for three weeks and I introduced fructose last week. I had both gas and D. Just so you knowAre they suggesting Effexor for FI? Even if it slowed down youer intestinal transit, the malabsorbed food will get into your colon although at a slower rate. Might help with diarrhea if you have that, I suppose

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bonnie,I had the same reaction to DA. I don't think it is a good product. I think most of the posts are marketing agents. She did not think it would help with FI. She said it dulls the nerve ending in the gut and is a great med for pain and discomfort. By the way this is Lin Chang who I know is a very respected IBS physician. She is by far the nicest doc I have ever dealt with. I am lucky to have her as my doc. Even though I live in NY, she told me to email her anytime. She said there is nothing for FI except staying away from it. She does feel that probiotics could help but they need much more research on it. For now she recommends VSL3

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bonnie,I had the same reaction to DA. I don't think it is a good product. I think most of the posts are marketing agents. She did not think it would help with FI. She said it dulls the nerve ending in the gut and is a great med for pain and discomfort. By the way this is Lin Chang who I know is a very respected IBS physician. She is by far the nicest doc I have ever dealt with. I am lucky to have her as my doc. Even though I live in NY, she told me to email her anytime. She said there is nothing for FI except staying away from it. She does feel that probiotics could help but they need much more research on it. For now she recommends VSL3

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well she said it acts on all pain but mostly IBS pain. She feels it is the best IBS drug for pain and also has a C effect. Culterelle gave me more gas but maybe I did not give it a long enough trial. I definately have some sort of dysbiosis going in because there is no doubt that vsl#3 reduces the amount of gas I pass as well as the bloat

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well she said it acts on all pain but mostly IBS pain. She feels it is the best IBS drug for pain and also has a C effect. Culterelle gave me more gas but maybe I did not give it a long enough trial. I definately have some sort of dysbiosis going in because there is no doubt that vsl#3 reduces the amount of gas I pass as well as the bloat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.