Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all of the above and was wondering if anyone has the same?I was wondering if the hypothyroidism & my lack of gallbladder could ALSO contribute to my upper GI symptoms?I was diagnosed back in 1989 with IBS and the doctor I had back then thought removing my gallbladder "might help".
The doctors I have seen since have always shaken their head in disbelief that he would have done such a thing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dee, Once again proving that the phrase "good doctor" is an oxymoron. Anyway, it's very possible that the D you had before the gall bladder was taken out and after the gall bladder was taken out were all caused by first gall bladder dysfunction and then by it's removal. Please hop over to the Diarrhea forum and do a search there using the words "gall bladder" or "Questran" (a medication used to treat this type of D). I don't know if you have IBS or not, but alot of us initially diagnosed with IBS-D were just lousy gall bladder patients and treatable. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my gall bladder removed in '91, diagnosed with IBS-D around '94, diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in '98, diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in '03. Thyroid is under control now, but I can't find a Dr. around here that knows enough about IBS-D and Fibromyalgia to treat me, I live in a small rural town. Not many here to choose from, either. One said that having my gall bladder removed brought all this on and one said that the other one was crazy....So who knows. Wish I could help more.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a perfectly healthy gallbladder removed.The doctor at the time thought it "might help".I had been IBS-C before that.Now I will have incomplete bowel movements.This was back in the late 80s early 90s when they basically told you to take Metamucil and sent you on your way.Having my gallbladder removed,IMO, made my symptoms worse.When I was put on Zelnorm last year it gave me diarrhea.I have heard many people say that after they had their gallbladder removed that they started having IBS symptoms.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
That's me, although they aren't sure about my thyroid. My levels were low but not low enough for medication. Uh huh! LOLBut yes I do believe my gallbladder had a lot do with me having all of this to begin with. And yes I do get upper GI symptoms since my gallbladder surgery. I too have met even in real life a lot of people who had stomach problems after having it removed. Yet I've only talked to one doctor that believes it's true.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having my gallbladder removed,IMO, made my symptoms worse.And yes I do get upper GI symptoms since my gallbladder surgery. I too have met even in real life a lot of people who had stomach problems after having it removed. Yet I've only talked to one doctor that believes it's true.Were you ever given a diet to follow after your surgery?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have IBS-D. It started up in April last year after I had a kidney stone attack. Progressively got worse. Had a HIDA scan on my gallbladder, showed a function of only 10%. Had GB removed in December. Still had IBS-D, more frequently than before surgey. I take 40-50mg of Bentyl and it only helped a little. Last week I saw my surgeon, he put me on Colestid (granules) and so far, very good results. No 'D', less frequent trips to the potty, and digestion has improved. Less burping, heartburn, etc.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last week I saw my surgeon, he put me on Colestid (granules) and so far, very good results. No 'D', less frequent trips to the potty, and digestion has improved. Less burping, heartburn, etc. Thank you for responding.
I am going to ask my next GI about Colestid.After I had a perfectly healthy gallbladder removed(GRR!!)I was basically sent on my way and declared "all better".<shaking head>No dietary suggestions.No meds.NADA.Needless to say my upper GI symptoms instead of being "all better" became worse.Thanks Dr.D.Wherever you are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.