Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any success with Biofeedback to manage their symptoms?It seems I have tried everything, however not Biofeedback ... hadn't really considered it for pain/gas/bloating and constipation and all the "fun symptoms".I would love to know more about it as it relates to IBS if anyone has any info.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi metooo,I use BF & I think it helps. Here is the how & why as I understand it.Our bodies manufacture and metabolize stress hormones. If we get too high of a concentration of stress hormones in our systems, we experience stress symptoms, such as the big 'D' ('C' for you). (Also possibly back pain, high blood pressure, headaches .... etc.)Thinking about stressful things causes a physical reaction in our bodies - that is, we create more stress hormones & dump them into our circulation. Thinking about relaxing things slows (stops?) this production, allowing our bodies to metabolize (get rid of) the hormones. The BF monitor allows me to quickly see if I'm thinking stressful thoughts or calming thoughts. It allows me to focus on metabolizing the nasty little buggers instead of creating more of them.Now, why I "think" it helps. I've been through Mike's Tapes twice, I've implemented some relaxation strategies that Eric has pointed me towards, and I use the BF, and I also listen to relaxing (often Christian) music [the effect of the Christian music is that when I am doing mindless routine activities, Christian songs are playing through my head - even if not through my ears - instead of mind chatter. A big cause of 'D' for me is uncontrolled mind chatter.] IMHO, all of these things add up to give me mostly 'D' free days & nights (also 1 immodium/day). In short, I don't use BF to gain control over GI muscles, but use it to reduce the levels of stress hormones. The same effect can be achieved through other means, but the BF monitor allows me to put a number on it & gives me a lot of confidence.I do find the concepts at this site rather fascinating (they claim that this works for IBS too): http://www.add-biofeedback.com/ ... but I'm not ready to shell out the $ that they are asking for.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
there is some ino on biofeedback in the CBT and hypnosis forum. biofeedback is used for general relaxation and if someone is qualified it can also be used for specific muscles.tom

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
METOO:BF, according to Professor Brostoff of "FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 ....biofeedback is being used with some degree of success with c-type IBS viictims in the United Kingdom. He is at a place where he sort of gets to see everything going on, though we could not find any good references on it yet for that application. If I get some time I will look for you.It's an application of BF that is relatively recent.MNL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts