Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had some blood work and was told my CBC blood count was a little low..9.3, normal range is 11 something. I am now taking an iron supplement to see if that helps...I'm just wondering how long you take the iron because I know long term effects can cause heart problems and cancer. Just curious on anyone's experiences w/ this. I am 42 female, regular periods but know that can be the culprit as we get older and approach menopause...since we lose blood every month. I just hope that's all it is...

·
Registered
222 Posts
My gynecologist says red me eis excellent for women as a result of its iron content, but as a vegetarian with IBS I opt out. You're right, women do need iron though.I have IBS-C and was actually told to stop taking my iron, as it can be constipating. If you have IBS-D I imagine it would be helpful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im low in iron as well-my doc put me on iron pills which seem to be helping- although they can be slightly constipating.I haven`t experienced any other side effects.I was advised to take red meat twice a week, liver is a really good source of iron and so are leafy green vegetables like broccoli.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had low iron stores for some time and take a herbal iron supplement which does not cause the characteristic constipation or black stools. I don't know if you can get it in the US but here in Australia I get Iron Formula from Hilton Lifestream company or you can try Floradix which is a liquid form with herbs and Vit C rich extracts which aid the body in absorbing iron. Hope you find something that helps.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Iron is one of those things too little is just as bad as too much.Where the concern tends to be is for people that accumulate more iron than they need (and usually have to be bled periodically to get rid of it).You need to take iron supplements for as long as you have the anemia. The only way to know how long this will be is to get regular check ups.Some people need to be on iron pretty much long term, but it is generally the people that have TOO much iron that are the ones at risk for bad effects. http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/iron.html Lists some foods so you can look at your diet and see if you can get it that way, and talks about the problems with too much iron (at least some of the "it is bad for you" is not completely cut and dry--not all studies get the same equally bad for you results... and if you are too low to start with supplements shouldn't hurt you).K.

G

·
Agree with Kmottus.... you must take iron supplements if you are anemic. I had to do it for years when I was "bleeding to death" on a regular basis. (My iron deficiency was independent of the IBS.) There are different kinds of iron and you may tolerate some better than others. Iron absorption can be increased by combining it with certain other food supplements. Actually even 11 is somewhat at the low end of normal range for hemoglobin... so do continue with the iron... if you don't, the consequences aren't fun... been there and done that. Evelyn's iron suggestion seems good to me. You might want to check it out as the Vitamin C taken along with the iron should help with the absorption.The only thing I would caution you about is that the doses in the over-the-counter iron supplements is not as high as what you can obtain with a physician's prescription. Only your doctor can tell you if that is what you need.Take care and good luck, Evie

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all your suggestions. I am not anemic at this point, just low in iron. I was just told to take over the counter iron supplement and to take w/ a glass of OJ or a Vit C supplement. Maybe that's my problem. I have been avoiding citrus type foods because I thought it would aggravate my stomach so maybe I wasn't absorbing the iron well from my diet. I have been taking one pill a day w/ OJ and have been fine...knock on wood. Maybe I've discovered OJ again in all this...I use to like it and be able to drink it!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks arts....I forgot about the low acid one..I'll look for it at the grocery story. What is buffered Vit C? I was told if I choose to take a Vit C supplement, to take it 2 hrs apart from the iron suppl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.