Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have a lot of gas rumbling around everyday, sometimes so bad I can feel it violently moving down the left side (like if you stood with your hands on your waist it would be about there). I pass a lot of gas (sorry for the information lol but I honestly pass wind a lot) but it doesn't make the gas in my bowel any better, still there and causing pain and nausea. I've tried Windeze and Wind Setlers but they seem more for wind up top rather than low down in the bowel. I think that could be a reason I feel sick a lot because of the trapped gas. Don't know why I produce so much of it but I seem to have loads. Thanks for reading

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The simethicone products (all the Wind-Eze, Gas-X kind of things) sometimes work if you take it with every meal for 2-3 days in a row so you actually get enough of it in the colon. It doesn't spread through the body so only works on gas next to it. So it may work for burping immediately but it won't get to gas at the end of the colon immediately.If they don't help after 3-4 days of consistent use then they won't help your intestinal gas.Most people fart a lot more than we expect (average is 14 times a day and 20-25 is not abnormal). So you really have to have a lot of farts to really have abnormal gas volume.Often IBSers over respond to normal levels of gas (or even less than normal amounts of gas) so you may not have so much of it, you may not deal with the normal amount of gas properly. Most of the grumbling and pain is not the gas damaging you, but from it filling up the colon and your colon not dealing well with that normal amount of filling.That being said, reducing gas producing food in the diet and adding bacteria that do not digest carbs into gas (probiotics) sometimes can reduce the gas level to an amount your IBSy intestines can handle.http://www.endowsec.com/pated/edtgs12.htm is the gas reducing diets. Probiotics are easy to find pretty much anyplace that sells vitamins will have some. You could check the probiotic forum to see if there are brands sold where you are that people like.If you get the fart frequency down and still have a lot of pain and noise you may need to treat the nerves controlling the gut rather than try to make what is in the gut different.

·
Registered
976 Posts
CatukHiya. I know exactly what you mean about the gas and where it is, I cannot get rid of mine either, despite farting often. The doctor prescribed colpermin, they did not help and made the heartburn/acid reflux even worse, so had to stop them. I dont eat hardly any gas producing foods and eat quite a bland diet because of the ibs-d which i have.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Bland can be exactly the foods that can cause gas. It isn't just beans and cabbage. The potatoes and wheat and starch that most people eat (unless you limit yourself to rice for starch) are all on the list of what gets left over for the bacteria in the colon to eat.All starch all the time is bad for gas, but that usually is what people do when they do bland.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I eat Oat cereal for breakfast with a banana, and dinner is usualy ham or chicken on gluten/wheat free bread. Tea is usualy boiled potatoes, fish and carrotts, or lean chicken. or salmon and rice. I also eat ricecakes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies :(I've tried taking the windeze with food for days on end and had little relief. I am farting all the time, like 5 times an hour which is a hell of a lot. I also get a lot of wind rumbling in my throat as well which makes me feel very sick. I've tried a wheat/gluten free diet and that didn't help my symptoms at all. I'm currently doing a lactose and dairy free diet and the first 2 weeks of it the pain went away but recenlty has come back bad again so not sure has happened all of a sudden.For tea a couple of nights ago I at a plateful of veg which I don't think helped my bowel. I had cauliflower, brocolli peas, boiled potatoes and some gravy. Thought it was a nice and healthy tea but the next day I was in so much pain. Obviously because all that veg makes you gassy. Just so hard knowing what to eat and what not to eat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kathleen, will read up on the diet and see if it's easy enough to do (I'm just a very picky eater lol).I was just wondering, could the extra gas be caused my the fact I have a slow bowel (every 4 days or so, sometimes only once a week). Maybe it's the toxins from my bowel not being emptied regularly, makes sense that it would cause gas and nausea.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most of the gas is made when the food for the bacteria first gets to the colon, not days and days later. Some gets made as it goes along, but the reason a hydrogen breath test only lasts for a few hours is a huge amount of gas is made right when the food hits the colon. If it wasn't made until days later they'd have to do the test for 3-4 days rather than for a few hours.Toxins don't make gas. Regular food you don't absorb well does. It doesn't become toxic over time. Most of the gas volume is from carbohydrates (so some of the fiber and starch we don't break down well or a few sugars that are in cabbage family veggies and beans you don't absorb). Smell is made from excess amino acids and a few non-toxic sulfur compounds in onions and garlic.Usually what is dangerous about stool is when you get pathogenic bacteria. That is why you don't want to touch other peoples stool then eat. It isn't that there are specifically toxic compounds in there. Just if they happen to have a bad bacteria you could get it. Bad smelling doesn't mean toxic levels of things. Some of the most toxic stuff doesn't have an odor.However if your GI tract runs slow it does seem to have more problems moving the gas around as it isn't moving anything around all that well.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just started taking activated charcoal capsules again after each meal and so far the pain is a lot less frequent, are making me a tad queasy though which I supposed could be the anxiety

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.