Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,773 Posts
What, exactly, do you have in mind? I have successfully used a nutritional supplement to control my d for years; but I have no doubt that it is simply accomplishing a similar "job" as a drug would/could do, just using fruit sourced extracts, rather than lab created ones.Mark

· Registered
74 Posts
depends what your symtomns are some have C some have D. i alternate between the two(incomplete bms/trapped gas/bloating) you could try probiotics and digestive enzymes but, its finding the right ones thats the trouble.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been suffering from this frustrating affliction for over 6 years now (only being diagnosed after 3 years), to the point where the bloating is now severe and downright embarrassing. I am at the point where I need to knock it clean out of my system or risk wrecking my future career prospects. I have through much research, come to the conclusion that IBS is essentially a psychosomatic illness directly linked to stress or so I am fairly certain my case is, as it was brought on shortly after a stressful period in my life and has stayed with me from then on, with the bloating possibly linked to incorrect breathing patterns. Are you now free of IBS? I have tried many limiting diets to no avail and I am of the belief that pharmaceuticals are not necessary unless for life threatening cases as it appears to treat the symptoms and not the cause. I am not a tranquilizing anti depression drug pill taking kinda guy... Any suggestions? Yoga? Meditation?

· Registered
5,773 Posts
I am not cured of the IBS, I simply have eliminated the symptoms. I was also not a bloater. I think the flavonoids I take treat a circulatory cause of the problem, which is dissimilar to both a psychosomatic cause and effect, even though they may both fit under the IBS "umbrella." I fully concur with not wanting to medicate yourself. I can tell you that Tai Chi did nothing for my condition, although I don't know if meditation or yoga mighten't. I have also read here re IBS and chiropractors. That might be worth exploring as well as any naturepaths in your area. Sometimes they can help tremendously. Certainly would be worth a few exploratory phonecalls.Mark

· Registered
8,963 Posts
Bulbous,be carefull in your quest.Chiropractor are gonna crack your neck and that's gonna hurts and IBS will stay there.They usually claims that they can "cure" everything.That's a lie who can be heard often from different sources and it should be a signal of a possible health fraud.You have to find if you are IBS-D,IBS-C or IBS-spastic.Read many posts as you can,that should help.

· Registered
514 Posts
I have found that going to a chiropractor/naturopath to be very helpful for me.My IBS-D is way better an di'm able to function with minimal problems(still get the occasional D, but not everyday like it used to be). I always had back pain int eh middle of my back and my chiropractor said that that is where the nerves go to the intestines and sicne the back is out of place it can be irretating the nerves to the bowels. I tend to believe him as when he corrects my back there My IBS-D is better.YOu all might think i'm crazy but how cares, its helping me
ps: I also use to go for acupuncture and it also helped(although not as much as the chiropractor. It was more expensive then seeing my chiro/naturo so i stopped the acupuncture.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the posts guys, I guess I have IBS D only having recently found out what that means but I suffer mainly from massive bloating. The D only began relatively recently but the bloating has been with me from the beginning. I originally thought I was putting on weight in one place only but after exercising it did not disappear and EVENTUALLY a doctor was kind enough to enlighten me that I had IBS. The bloating is now bigger than ever which is highly frustrating being a slim guy with a fast metabolism. My first clue that IBS was linked to my breathing pattern was the fact that I was waking up in the morning with my belly flat. No food or drink intake aggravates it. I also wondered if perhaps my nervous system had been damaged from recreational drugs in the past and this was causing the upset but I am not so sure about that. I WILL beat this, but boy oh boy is it ****ing irritating or what!! I am still sure the illness is predominantly stress / psychosomatic related possibly altering the body's behaviour over long periods. I will find the answer somewhere and keep you all posted. Feel free to send me any advice. Thanks.BB

· Registered
23,788 Posts
Out of curiosity why are you against using HT for IBS, as opposed to meditation or yoga?Since HT is shown effective for IBS not just on IBS but global symptoms and is a lot like meditation in many ways?CBT can also effective for IBS.Also diet is important in IBS.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not too keen on hypnotizing therapy because it is the installation of mental triggers to counteract mental problems, or so I am told. I am ideally going to try and defeat this ailment as naturally as possible. I am of the belief that if the mind spawned it, the mind can erradicate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.