Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stress has come up in threads many times already, and it appears to be quite a controversial topic. So to start I guess that I will say that I agree that there are probably some 100% worry free people out there suffering from IBS for some unknown reason. I give my prayers that those people will find what works for them so they may live full lives.But for the rest of us, I really think that stress is a factor. When I look back on my childhood, I see plenty of anxiety. I would stay up all night contemplating a conflict I had with a class mate. I would worry if people liked me, and I would second guess everything I said. Last year I finally went to counseling, and I learned to identify all of the anxiety in my life. I also gained counseling through God on learning to forgive all of the people that I felt had hurt me. I have rid my thoughts of much anger and unhappiness. Now I take time to understand people instead of getting upset with them. Now I learned to accept that humans make mistakes and so I never punish myself or allow myself to feel self pity or shame. And when something does go wrong, I never dwell. I work it out, or forget about it, or change it.I have heard many say that even on a good feeling day, they still have IBS. It takes more than one day. I guess you could say that it is a fight, but if it is, it is one that can be won! I beat it two months ago.Every time I come back to this web sight I think, "I do not have to be feeling this empathy. I no longer have IBS, so I do not have to be here." Because honeslty, it almost brings me to tears because I know what you are all going through and I pray that no one has to anymore.For the first time in my life, I am living off of real things, like pasta and salad and fruit and vegetables and chocolate. But that is the way it should be. I will admit that every night I have to pray to God that I will still be healed when I wake up the next morning. But I stop myself from worrying and put it in his hands.Some of you warn me I may have my IBS return. I think that just having the freedom I have had lately was enough pleasure to last a life time. I took a road trip and slept in a sleeping bag in a room with many other people after eating a pork hotdog with bacon and greasy cheese for dinner -- no problem. I have been working in a new job for the last month -- and I have not missed one day!! No trips to the hospital! No leaving the party early! No turning down dinner invitations! No more fiber supplements! And oh, is THAT what a real bowel movement is?!And I would take the IBS back if I could just convince half of you of the two cures that worked together in my life: mental healing (happiness) and prayer (God).I pray that this will work for someone. And those who have already showed interest in my healing, I am already praying for you.Linmelinmichelle###cablelan.net

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh I so believe in what you say dear one... I just posted here for the first time, & I'm a big believer in both happiness & prayer healing all. I guess I just can't get it together right now with all my probs. I do, however, thank you for an uplifting post & I'm trying desperately to get there myself
I will certainly keep you in my prayers that you do NOT experience a flare up with IBS & that your life continues on in a stress free fashion for you. In the meantime, would you please read my post & see if you can advise me in any way... I'm truly lost & seeking the light at the end of the tunnel here.... warm hugs,mazzy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do know stress is a big part of my problem. Just thinking back to some of those situations - my belly hardens up on me. But it is so hard to be happy and full of smiles when you are wracked with pain. Thanks so much Linme for posting your thoughts. I will try.

·
Registered
598 Posts
During times of stress the good bacteria in your system are destroyed -- I learned this from Bennett's posting on Jerusalem Artichoke Flour. It is essential to regrow these bacteria and to maintain them at a healthy level.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
test[This message has been edited by thelazy_j (edited 02-23-99).][This message has been edited by thelazy_j (edited 02-24-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Linme, Yes I think you have a great answer for most of the IBS problems. I think if the doctors can not find anything physical than the problem for the most part is STRESS. But learning to channel the stress into different paths or the great gift of being able to give it to God is difficult. How did your theripist change your way of thinking? I have tried a couple of different ones and they did not help a bit. How long did it take you to discover the right attitude? Your post is uplifting thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lin,Hooray! How refreshing to hear from someone whose spirituality helped to transform their life into something happier and more fulfilling. And to hear you talk about this with a rational, steady mind speaks worlds to me. I believe I am recently having a taste ofwhat you talk about, and i thank you for sharing this and holding us all in your prayers. Blessed be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We all experience stress to some degree in just every day living. Being able to deal with it and not internalize it is very important. When we can find no outlet to vent, I believe, that's when we cause ourselves to become ill. Finding peace through counseling, church, prayer or whatever means is an outlet. Linme, I'm happy that you have found that outlet and with such a positive attitude and faith, I'm sure it will remain. Even though I slip into a little self-pity at times, I am fortunate to know what my outlets are and I make use of them as often as possible. Otherwise, my IBS symptoms would be a lot worse! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I totally agree with Pat - the idea is to find inner peace - whether it comes from a spiritual source or just plain "everything's-going-well-in-my-life-right-now." When I was symptom free (for a couple of years), my life had finally settled down - my divorce was long over, I was financially on my feet again, and I was very happy in a good job. Plus I worked out a lot, which reduces stress also. Anybody else out there try exercise? I know some days it's impossible, but I swear, the tension release of exercise has really helped me in all aspects of my life.Unfortunately, I broke my arm last summer and gained a lot of weight during the really slow healing process, but I'm trying to get back into a regular exercise program again to reduce stress.Thank you to all that wrote calming words! You can't imagine how they help!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think my IBS started with a combination of stress and antibiotics. I know stress makes my IBS worst. I don't have D or C anymore just abdominal pain (2-10 hrs a day). If I jog for 15-20 minutes my pain almost always goes away. I am also trying acidophilus from suggestions from this board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.