Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new here. I am a 25 year old male and I have been having problems for many years now. Although I have been to the doctor before about my problem I have never been diagnosed with IBS or any other condition. The last time that I went to the doctor was back in 1997 at a military hospital. They gave me a few liqiud saline laxatives to clean my colon and then they entered my rectum, enlarged my colon searched it with a some sort of microscope tube. They found nothing out of the ordinary.I first noticed my problem when I was in the fifth grade. I had a very stressful childhood. I had a teacher that I was afraid of. When I woke up in the mornings I felt O.K. but when I got on the school bus in the morning my stomach began to feel bad and as the bus entered the school yard and I became nervous about going to class because I was afraid of the teacher, my stomach began to feel even worse. Not long after entering the class I would feel very nauseated and have the feeling of diarrhea and I would have to go to the bathroom. I remember feeling like this many morings. After this experience I remember having these feeling often. After High school, my condition began to worsen.Now anytime that I feel nervous or uncomfortable about anything my stomach becomes very Irritable and I have to go to the bathroom. Sometimes it is diarrhea and sometimes it isn't. Manytimes it is accompanied by a neauseating feeling. Sometimes I vomit (especially in the mornings) and sometimes I don't. This is really and distubance in my life.Like I said before, Most of the times my symptoms occur when I am nervous(mostly in the morning),really stressed,or don't get enough sleep. If I wake up in the morning and I know that I have a jod interview or a test at school or anything that would make me nervous then I develop diarrhea and vomiting. I am in the North Carolina Army National Guard. The day that I left for basic training I couldn't eat anything because it would cause me to have diarreah. All day long at the military facility, while I was being processed in, I stayed dog-sick all day long. I had gas pains. I couldn't eat or drink anything because as soon as I did I had to defacate or vomit. At the airport I went to the bathroom with diarrhea many, many times, soon after I developed a fever and my vomiting and diarrhea was excrusiatingly horrible. When I began basic training we had to eat breakfast. I started out eating one spoon each moring because it would make me sick. Soon I worked up to an entire breakfast and I was fine. Later on my symptoms weren't quite as bad because I was in the best physical shape of my life.I train once a month and 2 weeks every summer. When I train on the weekend, we sleep in the woods overnight and I always wake up in the mornings with diarreah and vomiting. It is four times as worse during the summer because my training is longer and I am more nervous. I wake-up every morning with diarrhea and vomiting and I sometime keep it throughout the day.In conclusion, I often have blood and mucus in my stool when I go to the bathroom. I have constipation alot. Anytime that I feel nervous I have to go to the bathroom right away. If I don't get enough rest or sleep, or If I wake-up any place except for home I develop diarrhea and vomiting. (EX. About 3 weeks ago my grandma,before she died, was in the hospital. My family and I stayed at the hospital overnight. I only got a few hours of sleep during the night and when I woke-up it was in a strange place and I developed diarreah and felt very nauseated. If I am asked to speak in front of a small group of people the I become very nauseated and develop diarrhea. This affects my life in a very bad way. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Could it possibly be IBS?--------------------Learner

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like IBS, but you should probably goto a gastroenterologist and be checked to ruleout any other possibilites. IBS can be brought on by stressful situations. They don't always have to be "bad" to be stressful either, I almost always have an attack at the beginning of a vacation.If you do have IBS, there are a number of medications your doctor can try to help ease symptoms. Good luck, I know your pain.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hi Lerner
I know that you say stress seems to bring it on, but also look into what you are eating. With IBS certain foods trigger symptoms, and those triggers are not the same for everyone. If possible try to keep a food diary and a list of how you felt. I found that my nausea was brought on by anything tart (citric acid), although it may be different for you. Some find problems with dairy as well.Ginger is great for nausea, see if you can pick some up at a health food store. Also as far as teh D goes, have you tried Metamucil to bulk up your stool? Also some people find that calcium causes them to have solid BMs Important: Read the first post on this thread http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...t=000746#000011 Member LNAPE has helped tons of people on the board by sharing her personal experience with Calcium.There is also a prescription you could try called Lotronex. Also, have you been tested for Celiac? http://www.vaccinationnews.com/DailyNews/J...acDisease15.htm http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/celiacd...agnosissymptoms [

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Learner, the blood in the stools is a red flag symptom as well as the vomiting and fever, and not IBS symptoms and you should see the doctor about this before you treat your condition as IBS as soon as possible and have those things checked out. In NC is the best facility however if your close to it. http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.