Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always occurs to me when reading trough the bulletin board that there are always things mentioned about the US and the medications that are available there which I never recognise the name of, Is there anybody out there also from the UK with IBS I'm starting to feel like the only person in the UK with IBS!

·
Registered
194 Posts
A fellow UK IBSer here. I'm sure others will post as well.As to other sufferers in the population - what's the incidence rate? 10%,20%? Remember that the next time you're on a bus!![This message has been edited by Ian (edited 12-07-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Calibongo ... yes, there are lots of us here
... off the top of my head:Wanderingstar; Andyyeovil; Clair; Enna; Daisychain; Pyewackett; Spliff; Conners; Muse ... and on and on ... there's quite a merry band of us!
I'm sure you'll be hearing from some others
Julie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep! I'm here, in not so sunny Somerset, in the UK! It's easy to get confused by the US terms and medications, but people here are cool, they'll explain if you ask!May be a UK thread somewhere like The Meeting Place would be a good idea, as a place to touch base now and then?Andy------------------ http://www.dustyspringfield.co.uk/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I live in Manchester and am treating my constipated IBS with magnesium, manevac (perdium in theUS) and digestive enzymes morning and night.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Calibongo,Another Brit here, Suffolk to be a bit more precise.I'm sure we will all be as helpful as we can

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi Calibongo,Hello from Nottingham
Your definitely not the only one in the UK with IBS - so take heart!While were on this thread - is it just me or are british doctors ####?I went to see mine yesterday becoz I was really tired and stressed out - and just want my GI consultation over an done with - and he had given the GI doctor the wrong address - so someone somewhere is reading my request to go and have my bowels inspected!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, I'm from Alloa in Scotland. I asked the same UK question a while back as a lot of what is said here isn't really relevant to UK medicines and the NHS. Also people keep writing "bump" and stuff which took a while for me to work out. I did consider posting stuff like "ecclefechan" to get my own back.Anyway with regards to the Dr point I have seen three of the four Dr.s in my practice one of whom all but threw me out of the surgery whereas his colleague and the Snr. GP of the shop has been very supportive.I originally was told I'd go on a "four to eight" week waiting list for a consultant which I thought wasn't too bad until they said, "No, forty eight!". The GP wrote again and it was down to six!So I only had my consultant's exam last week and I'm new to this. Barium X-rays due in January hopefully. I tried to find a UK board but there isn't one I don't think.------------------ http://www.echobelly.f9.co.uk

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi, Susan here, from Bristol & Dorset. Know what you mean about the drug names being unrecognisable. I wish people would call them by their generic names! What's with the wind and the rain at the moment? It sounds as if my roof is going to come off - I live in the attic too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops! Did I really omit Mike001 (HypnoMike) from my little list ... the man who changed my life???
Sorry Mike!
Julie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for revealing yourselves I now don't feel that I am alone in the UK and nice to know that there is someone in the same area as me to- Andyyeovil! I also live in Somerset, How good is that. Thanks you've all brightened my day!Oh and as far as doctors are concerned I have been told by my GP to find out for myself by experimenting with foods what foods I am sensitive! I have never seen a GI and it has never been mentioned, Should I insist on seeing one or should I sort out my diet,lifestyle etc by myself!?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I get really bad D and G and I get pains from bowel spasms, I am taking mebeverine for the bowel spasms but at the moment I am on a no yeast,no cows cheese,milk or yogurt,no Tomatoes,No pork and no citrus friut diet at the mo which seems to be helping ( I have a feeling I'm sensitive to yeast). I only got the idea for this diet by seeing somebody at my local health food shop who did sensitivity tests on me. I don't know if you've heard of it its using some kind of electrode and different food groups it can detect by changes of you bodies frequency whether you are sensitive to particular foods. The above ones are mine so I have cut them out. I decided to do this as all my GP said was to go on 1 weeks gluten free diet and 1 weeks dairy free diet and cme back in 2 weeks to let me know how you've gotten on!I went back but nothing was done!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Calibongo (cool name!) How have you managed to ascertain which foods are giving you trouble? I kept a diary once for migraine & trigger foods, but I got in a right old fuddle and couldn't see any connections at all. Did you keep a diary, or was it obvious what triggered the problems?Apart from stress, which so obviously brings an attack, I wonder if it is not a food, as such, but an ingredient of food, like some preservative, or colourant - something *hidden* like that. And how would you find out?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts