Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suffering with IBS-D for about 11 years, since my first pregnancy. My oldest daughter, through blood test, has been found to have a wheat allergy. She has been on a wheat free diet for a couple of months now and is improving (her biggest symptoms were sinus/asthma problems). Closely related to wheat allergy is another food allergy called gluten intolerance / celiac disease. It's been very educating because on the other website message board I've been corresponding on (www.celiac.com), a lot of the symptoms sound like IBS-D. In fact, a lot of the people who have celiac were suffering for many years with what they thought was IBS. Their doctors just dismissed them. Perhaps there are people reading this message board who have celiac disease who don't even know it! Celiac disease is detected through a blood test and biopsy. I do not claim to be an expert on either celiac or IBS but it's just been amazing to me that the two diseases/syndromes are similar. Maybe there's somebody else out there who has more input on this. Anyway, I've decided to make an appointment with the GI to have the blood test for celiac and we'll see what happens. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, after being on this board it was suggested by a senior member to have the blood test for coeliac(how we spell it in the uk). I had,had an food intolerance test and it had come up with wheat along with other foods. For 6 weeks I went on a gluten free diet along with the other foods listed and felt so much better. Then I got my blood test result back, which was normal,BUT I was told by the coeliac society that due to the lack of gluten in by body at the time it was likely that the test would be normal!So beware if you have the test make sure you are eating normal amounts of gluten weeks before hand.I am back to my doctor today to see what the next step should be. I have been told just because I cannot eat wheat does not mean I have coeliacs disease. I did suffer before alot each day with d type.good luck

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's definitely worth mentioning coeliac testing to your GP especially if you have another member of your family with it. (As I understand it, it can run in families). A lot of the symptoms are very similar.My Auntie was diagnosed with it in her 60s and is feeling much better for it now she has changed her diet accordingly. Her granddaughter has just been diagnosed at 17.I had the test after requesting it from my GP and all seems to be "normal"
One thing I have noticed while waiting for my results is the extortionate prices charged for gluten free pasta, bread etc in the UK. Is it the same in the States?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have noticed the ridiculously high prices for wheat-free/gluten-free products! One of my daughter's favorite lunches was Kraft mac-n-cheese (about .75/box) and a gf kind is $2.79! Most noticably are the bags of pastas (.50/box on sale) and $5.00-$7.00 a bag (BiAglut). Thank goodness there are only two of us in the family who need this special diet!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooops, oh, yes, the gluten-free/wheat-free bread is very expensive, too, but it's something my daughter really enjoys so we splurge on Kinnikinnick brand or use our bread machine to make our own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.