Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my ibs and acid reflux i dont eat very much. Im also lactose intolerant.Im trying to gain weight. So my question is: have any of you who suffer from lactose intolerance have tried ensure??or anything that works for weight gain? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, I am also lactose intolerant. I have tried Ensure but unfortunately that is a severe trigger for my IBS-D so I cannot drink it, even if I take Lactaid. I believe Slimfast has a Lactose-free product in a can but it's hard to find (maybe you can find it online?) ~ even though it's a weight LOSS product you could possibly use it as a supplement to help gain weight. Or you could try the Ensure but take Lactaid ~ everyone is different so hopefully it wouldn't upset your IBS. Good luck! I know how hard living with IBS and lactose intolerance is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi,I'm the exact same as you... ibs, lactose intolerance and acid reflux... and I'm thin too. I have never tried any meal replacements as I don't digest soya very well (they are often soy based). I see a dietician once a month now, she weighs me of course and gives me recommendations for maintaining and gaining weight. I eat frequent meals... lots of carbs each time. I am presently eating 2 homemade oatmeal muffins and 3 dried figs as an example.Glad to hear there's someone out there like me.... but not a nice thing to have in common.I became lactose intolerant 6 years before I got ibs....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Lactaid milk only, and use the 100% milk . That should help with weight gain. I don't have a problem with needing to gain weight, but staying away from regular milk has been a great help. I think that Ensure probably has real milk in it, so maybe you can check by contacting the company that makes it. A lot of people use it to gain weight, but with being lactose intolerant, I wouldn't touch it myself.Good Luck, GGCarolyn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I am lactose intol. The only product I can tolerate is Rice Dream. I use it on cereal or in recipes calling for milk. I am also very underweight. I drink Boost. Ensure has more fat in it, and I don't like the taste. It depends on the person. My sister likes Ensure. She drinks it to help her low weight. She has cancer. Cooking is a challenge for me because I am on a gastroparesis diet with tons of restrictions. I make a lot of soup. My doctor told me to eat rice to try to slow down the chronic diarrhea.

·
Registered
473 Posts
During the time that I was lactose intolerant I was always able to eat colby or cheddar cheese as they have negligible lactose. Are you able to eat this cheese?My tolerance towards lactose has improved markedly since I stopped eating wheat. I still principally rely on rice milk but I now mix in a little bit of cows milk in my hot chocolate and my breakfast cereal.Jackmat

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, I am also lactose intolerant. I have tried Ensure but unfortunately that is a severe trigger for my IBS-D so I cannot drink it, even if I take Lactaid. I believe Slimfast has a Lactose-free product in a can but it's hard to find (maybe you can find it online?) ~ even though it's a weight LOSS product you could possibly use it as a supplement to help gain weight. Or you could try the Ensure but take Lactaid ~ everyone is different so hopefully it wouldn't upset your IBS. Good luck! I know how hard living with IBS and lactose intolerance is.
Hi Dogvlr,Yea same here...lacaid doesnt help me too much. Thank you so much for replying

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,I'm the exact same as you... ibs, lactose intolerance and acid reflux... and I'm thin too. I have never tried any meal replacements as I don't digest soya very well (they are often soy based). I see a dietician once a month now, she weighs me of course and gives me recommendations for maintaining and gaining weight. I eat frequent meals... lots of carbs each time. I am presently eating 2 homemade oatmeal muffins and 3 dried figs as an example.Glad to hear there's someone out there like me.... but not a nice thing to have in common.I became lactose intolerant 6 years before I got ibs....
Hey, I havent tried it so i hope my stomach doesnt act up. I dont consume enough calcium so im a bit worried. I have to find something that works for me. Oh really? does that help your weight management? oatmeal muffins...yum!!Yea im right here with you. I'll add you as i friend so we can chat some more. If its not much to ask i would love to hear some of the things your eating to gain weight.Thank you so much for the help. Take Care.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use Lactaid milk only, and use the 100% milk . That should help with weight gain. I don't have a problem with needing to gain weight, but staying away from regular milk has been a great help. I think that Ensure probably has real milk in it, so maybe you can check by contacting the company that makes it. A lot of people use it to gain weight, but with being lactose intolerant, I wouldn't touch it myself.Good Luck, GGCarolyn
Hi GGCarolyn,I have my ups and downs with lactaid but maybe i just need to get used to it. Im thinking of trying soy milk...have you tried it?Yea that is why im hessitant to try it! Thank you so much for the reply

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
During the time that I was lactose intolerant I was always able to eat colby or cheddar cheese as they have negligible lactose. Are you able to eat this cheese?My tolerance towards lactose has improved markedly since I stopped eating wheat. I still principally rely on rice milk but I now mix in a little bit of cows milk in my hot chocolate and my breakfast cereal.Jackmat
Hi Jackmat Yea cheeses are not a problem for me..except cream cheese! I usually eat monterey jack and mozzarella cheese.Thats great that you are doing so much better
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I am lactose intol. The only product I can tolerate is Rice Dream. I use it on cereal or in recipes calling for milk. I am also very underweight. I drink Boost. Ensure has more fat in it, and I don't like the taste. It depends on the person. My sister likes Ensure. She drinks it to help her low weight. She has cancer. Cooking is a challenge for me because I am on a gastroparesis diet with tons of restrictions. I make a lot of soup. My doctor told me to eat rice to try to slow down the chronic diarrhea.
Hi there,Oh really? i should try that. How is your sister doing?I eat tons of soup when i have stomach pain and no appetite.Thank you for the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.