Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor has another prescription for me to try. It's called cholestyramine and it's a powder. Supposed to bind bile or something. After reading the side effects on the gi tract, I'm not so sure I want to take it. Has anybody else tried this? KMottus or Eric, Mike, know anything about this drug? Sounds terrible.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Genny The brand name of it is Questran. Yes it is a bile binder & may firm up your stools. I was on it for a very few days like 3 I think. Then I was given Lotronex so I can't really comment on it's effectiveness personally. However I've read here that others have had much success with it. Especially those who have had their Gall Bladders removed. I remember it tasting a lil, how shall I say, um..... icky. If the taste bothers you ask for the pill form which is called Colestid. I'm hoping you have great success with this. BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Genny The brand name of it is Questran. Yes it is a bile binder & may firm up your stools. I was on it for a very few days like 3 I think. Then I was given Lotronex so I can't really comment on it's effectiveness personally. However I've read here that others have had much success with it. Especially those who have had their Gall Bladders removed. I remember it tasting a lil, how shall I say, um..... icky. If the taste bothers you ask for the pill form which is called Colestid. I'm hoping you have great success with this. BQ

G

·
My doc just ordered it also. It use to be given for high cholesterol. I am trying to dry up excess mucus but I am afraid it will make me constipated. I'll keep you posted.

G

·
My doc just ordered it also. It use to be given for high cholesterol. I am trying to dry up excess mucus but I am afraid it will make me constipated. I'll keep you posted.

G

·
There are quite a few of us on the board who use either the powder form (Questran) or the pill form (Colestid). Do a search under either of these names and you should find quite a bit of information.

G

·
There are quite a few of us on the board who use either the powder form (Questran) or the pill form (Colestid). Do a search under either of these names and you should find quite a bit of information.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I started Questran two weeks ago. It tastes like citrus chalk. The first week was great; my digestion was almost normal. Now I'm 4 days C, which is not my IBS type. I think I need to cut the dosage, or maybe take it every other day.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I started Questran two weeks ago. It tastes like citrus chalk. The first week was great; my digestion was almost normal. Now I'm 4 days C, which is not my IBS type. I think I need to cut the dosage, or maybe take it every other day.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My experience with Questran powder has been very positive (except for the texture and taste of course).I've been using it for at least 3 years and it has made such a difference for me. I had IBS D before my gallbladder was removed, and the D was SO much worse after. I suffered for some years before being given Questran, and those were years wasted. My symptoms are much more manageable now than ever before. Urgency and frequency still cause problems, but at least the watery, painful D is all but history.I plan on having to use Questran indefinitely, and I've never been told that that would be harmful. I take 2 scoops a day, one in the AM and one in the PM--and I've never been constipated from using it-but everyones system is different.Try mixing a little Tang with the powder once you have mixed it with water-not too bad. Good luck

·
Registered
255 Posts
My experience with Questran powder has been very positive (except for the texture and taste of course).I've been using it for at least 3 years and it has made such a difference for me. I had IBS D before my gallbladder was removed, and the D was SO much worse after. I suffered for some years before being given Questran, and those were years wasted. My symptoms are much more manageable now than ever before. Urgency and frequency still cause problems, but at least the watery, painful D is all but history.I plan on having to use Questran indefinitely, and I've never been told that that would be harmful. I take 2 scoops a day, one in the AM and one in the PM--and I've never been constipated from using it-but everyones system is different.Try mixing a little Tang with the powder once you have mixed it with water-not too bad. Good luck

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been on Questran for over 2 yrs now with great success--had IBS-D for years, and soo oh sooo much worse after gall bladder surg--its helped a lot. Was on 2x/day, now just once before dinner, and if I have to drink it for the rest of my life, so be it. You should give it a try, it has very few side effects, was given originally for high cholesterol, so there is an added benefit to take it. It does work wonders--you have nothing to lose--you should do well on it. Kitty Kat

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been on Questran for over 2 yrs now with great success--had IBS-D for years, and soo oh sooo much worse after gall bladder surg--its helped a lot. Was on 2x/day, now just once before dinner, and if I have to drink it for the rest of my life, so be it. You should give it a try, it has very few side effects, was given originally for high cholesterol, so there is an added benefit to take it. It does work wonders--you have nothing to lose--you should do well on it. Kitty Kat

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have been taking Questran since February. I have praised it on this board many times. It has helped me to be "almost normal" for the first time in years. I rarely ever take the ole faithful Imodium anymore and don't carry it in my purse like I used to. So it is not the best drink I've ever had...who cares? For what it has done for me I can endure that and I don't really mind it at all. By the way, I still have my gall bladder. Please give it a try. It's worth that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have been taking Questran since February. I have praised it on this board many times. It has helped me to be "almost normal" for the first time in years. I rarely ever take the ole faithful Imodium anymore and don't carry it in my purse like I used to. So it is not the best drink I've ever had...who cares? For what it has done for me I can endure that and I don't really mind it at all. By the way, I still have my gall bladder. Please give it a try. It's worth that.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My unusual spell of C broke last night. (Three days is not that bad.) And, unlike other times I've had C, I had a normal movement, not a horrible D attack. I've been through so many medication disappointments that I hate to get my hopes up, but maybe there's something to this.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My unusual spell of C broke last night. (Three days is not that bad.) And, unlike other times I've had C, I had a normal movement, not a horrible D attack. I've been through so many medication disappointments that I hate to get my hopes up, but maybe there's something to this.

G

·
I have had gall bladder removal 7 yrs ago..D prior to that and ever since. Have had numerous tests and 18 inches of i ntestine removed. Dr recently put me on the medication you are questioning and while it doesnt take the loose bowels away it helps with the frequency of them. I have been on it for only one month so cant really say how it is going to work in the long run of things but at this point i am willing to try anything at all just for relief!!

G

·
I have had gall bladder removal 7 yrs ago..D prior to that and ever since. Have had numerous tests and 18 inches of i ntestine removed. Dr recently put me on the medication you are questioning and while it doesnt take the loose bowels away it helps with the frequency of them. I have been on it for only one month so cant really say how it is going to work in the long run of things but at this point i am willing to try anything at all just for relief!!

G

·
I love the stuff, not the taste or texture, but for how it works. I take quite a bit twice a day, mixing it in tang or koolaid. Get it down and you're done. Definitely give it a try. It doesn't seem to work for everyone, but a good majority. I also have my gall bladder. Keep us informed!!!!!! We really want to hear, good or bad!!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.