Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I sometimes use Peppermint Altoids. They seem to have enough peppermint oil in them to work for me (1 or 2 is about 2/3 to 3/4 as effective as a Levsin for me). The advantage is that they are cheap, and people don't look at you funny when you pull out the tin and pop one in your mouth.It is an antispasmodic so spasms is what it will treat. It can increase heartburn in some people who are prone to that and may not be something you want to take in quantity when pregnant.Quite a few people on the board use peppermint tea as well as the oils.Make sure that whatever you take is in a dose for human consumption. You can get some very concentrated oils that must be diluted before you take them (for flavorings where a drop or two is for a whole cake or in aroma therapy situations where you can use really concentrated oils).K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I sometimes use Peppermint Altoids. They seem to have enough peppermint oil in them to work for me (1 or 2 is about 2/3 to 3/4 as effective as a Levsin for me). The advantage is that they are cheap, and people don't look at you funny when you pull out the tin and pop one in your mouth.It is an antispasmodic so spasms is what it will treat. It can increase heartburn in some people who are prone to that and may not be something you want to take in quantity when pregnant.Quite a few people on the board use peppermint tea as well as the oils.Make sure that whatever you take is in a dose for human consumption. You can get some very concentrated oils that must be diluted before you take them (for flavorings where a drop or two is for a whole cake or in aroma therapy situations where you can use really concentrated oils).K.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have tried Peppermint Oil pills and they made me very sick. Not only did I have flaming D, but it burned on the way out due to the peppermint. I must say that it didn't smell in the bathroom though!!!
I have had much better luck with Peppermint Altoids....I pop them all day long. I also drink Peppermint Tea and that seems to help too. The peppermint is good for spasms, but the oil was definitely too strong for me.K

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have tried Peppermint Oil pills and they made me very sick. Not only did I have flaming D, but it burned on the way out due to the peppermint. I must say that it didn't smell in the bathroom though!!!
I have had much better luck with Peppermint Altoids....I pop them all day long. I also drink Peppermint Tea and that seems to help too. The peppermint is good for spasms, but the oil was definitely too strong for me.K

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have IBS C/D. I take an enteric coated peppermint oil capsule every day with lunch (when I'm working) or any time I get to feeling yucky. It helps with that gassy, bloated feeling. I think it helps a little with nausea too.My husband asks for a capsule once or twice a month when he's eaten too much or feels gassy at bed time. (For me, that's the test of effectiveness.)My doctor says peppermint helps the digestive tract relax. That's why mints are so popular after meals. (silly me. I always thought it was for your breath.) Mints and tea help you burp. Enteric coated peppermint oil capsules help you
quote:pass wind.
Peppermint oil that is not enteric coated is too strong for the stomach and esophagus. The enteric coating insures that the peppermint effect is released in the intestines where it won't burn.So that means GERD sufferers have to stay away from mints and peppermint tea because the peppermint relaxes the upper parts of the digestive tract allowing acid to flow the wrong direction. And yes, if you're having a bout of diarrhea when you take the capsule, it will burn on the way out.
The only place I can find the enteric coated peppermint oil capsules is the Vitamin Shoppe. I get the Vitamin Shoppe brand which is their generic form. Not that expensive for something that works. The problem is finding out if this works for you.
Vitamin Shoppe

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have IBS C/D. I take an enteric coated peppermint oil capsule every day with lunch (when I'm working) or any time I get to feeling yucky. It helps with that gassy, bloated feeling. I think it helps a little with nausea too.My husband asks for a capsule once or twice a month when he's eaten too much or feels gassy at bed time. (For me, that's the test of effectiveness.)My doctor says peppermint helps the digestive tract relax. That's why mints are so popular after meals. (silly me. I always thought it was for your breath.) Mints and tea help you burp. Enteric coated peppermint oil capsules help you
quote:pass wind.
Peppermint oil that is not enteric coated is too strong for the stomach and esophagus. The enteric coating insures that the peppermint effect is released in the intestines where it won't burn.So that means GERD sufferers have to stay away from mints and peppermint tea because the peppermint relaxes the upper parts of the digestive tract allowing acid to flow the wrong direction. And yes, if you're having a bout of diarrhea when you take the capsule, it will burn on the way out.
The only place I can find the enteric coated peppermint oil capsules is the Vitamin Shoppe. I get the Vitamin Shoppe brand which is their generic form. Not that expensive for something that works. The problem is finding out if this works for you.
Vitamin Shoppe

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ah, so I am not crazy. I thought I had heard of peppermint tea helping, and I didn't have the tea but had some mints one day when I had "a bad attack". It soothed it better than Pepto or anything else.Altoids, huh? I knew I liked them for some reason or another.This is good news. What other sorts of tea are good for IBS bouts? Mine are C, followed by D.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ah, so I am not crazy. I thought I had heard of peppermint tea helping, and I didn't have the tea but had some mints one day when I had "a bad attack". It soothed it better than Pepto or anything else.Altoids, huh? I knew I liked them for some reason or another.This is good news. What other sorts of tea are good for IBS bouts? Mine are C, followed by D.

G

·
Yup! Those Altoids really work for me just as well if not better than the peppermint oil capsules. I'm also thinking they work as well as Levsin sl. Peppermint tea before bed time also helps some. I'm also finding out just how foods that I have eaten for years now cause me lots of problems.Oh, where did I put those Altoids? I'm going to carry them with me where I go.Those pinching gut pains can be a killer.The best to ya'll.

G

·
Yup! Those Altoids really work for me just as well if not better than the peppermint oil capsules. I'm also thinking they work as well as Levsin sl. Peppermint tea before bed time also helps some. I'm also finding out just how foods that I have eaten for years now cause me lots of problems.Oh, where did I put those Altoids? I'm going to carry them with me where I go.Those pinching gut pains can be a killer.The best to ya'll.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.