Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from IBS-D and I have become terrified of driving while others are in the car with me. I'm ok with my hubby, but friends and co-workers trigger panic attacks and then IBS-D. This makes it really hard to work - no one understands why I keep saying "I'll meet you there" and drive by myself. People think I'm crazy. Anyone else have this problem ? What do you do ?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I would just tell them I have a stomach condition that sometimes comes on all of a sudden and I need to drive myself in case I need to leave in a hurry. If one phrases it like one is concerned about ruining their time.. I doubt they will have have anything bad to say about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
same advice--be honest--IBS is no different (except worse, maybe) than any other chronic illnesses people live with and need to make exceptions to their lifestyles--how may diabetes sufferers have you seen feel uncomfortable about pulling their pants part way down to shoot insulin? they just do what they have to do, and don't seem to take any great embarrassment in it. to hell with what anyone else thinks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm usually okay if I'm the driver, but I hate riding as a passenger in someone else's car. I need to have the control. If I must ride with someone else I usually take Imodium and Xanax before the trip. It's pretty much a panic attack, but instead of hyperventilating it's diarrhea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.