Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sad state of gas has driven me away from hubby into another bed and most of the evening i sit on my own in another room because of my stinky gas with my pantys wedged or cotton wool up my butt to keep the noise down - i do get embarassed at times even at home - does anyone else go through such traumers just to get on with life. I must fart every 10 mins through out the day - am I the only one? I know LisaL and Pasty you sound as if you have a rough time of it along with Joyce. I more than sympathise with you all - whats your typical days like or anyone one else for that matter

· Registered
312 Posts
Shelley,I share your sadness with this gas. This is my typical day, and it seems to get a little worse all the time. The gas wakes me up at 5 am. It is always trapped and hurts really bad. Once I get out of bed, I can fart for over an hour before I actually have a bowel movement. I am talking HUGE amounts of gas. It's awful, and it's like this EVERY day. When I try to eat breakfast, it starts gurgling again, then MORE gas. Any time I eat or drink ANYTHING, it starts up. As the day goes on, it starts getting trapped in there and causing massive cramps. I actually need to be at home so that I can lie down on the floor to get the huge amounts of gas out. This goes on all day long into the evening. When I finally go to bed at night, I am so depressed that I can't bear to think of waking up with another day of this. It doesn't matter what I eat or do, it is like this no matter what I do! Have you tried the ginger root yet? I bought some at the store and plan to try it today. I am sure that you saw the posting about the ginger root curing gas. It's worth a try, that's for sure. If it doesn't work, I am trying an antibiotic, even just to get some short term relief. It always goes away when taking antibiotics, but then comes back again. I'm sorry to hear that you had to move to another room.
Doctors seem to treat gas as a minor annoyance, but it really affects our guality of life. Anyway, just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I am at the point where I don't really care if I live or die. Gas is really the only problem. If it went away, I would be the happiest person in the world. I pray everyday that all of us get relief from this miserable condition.By the way, I've had this for over 10 years and have been for every test, countless doctors, etc.

· Registered
326 Posts
I suffer too from this problem. Having to "fart" alot. As soon as I get up in the morning I start in. Then continue all day long. I have had this problem for 32 years. Trying to sit in school was a bear with it. Or working. Its hard to work a 8-5 job with this condition. You look at people and wonder why they are sitting so still. And here you are squirming in your seat trying to hold a fart in. Then it comes back again all day long. You go to the restroom and release it thinking you are through with it. Then you get back to your seat and it starts again.

· Registered
80 Posts
My problem with gas is that it doesn't know how to escape and seems to just sit there in my body causing pain and making it hard to breath. The best thing I have found to help is a couple drops of oregano oil in water. Also, NuLev which is available by prescription. I get the gastritis so bad that I cannot stand up straight and then I get the dry heaves. It's hard to have this at work and there are days when I am fine and then days when it starts right after I eat. Activated Charcoal tablets are suppose to help also. I get them from GNC though the oregano oil works better. Ginger has never worked for me and where peppermint is calming - it doesn't help with the gas for me. Try the oil of oregano - you can find it at any health store.

· Registered
28 Posts
hi all,sadly i also have the same problem--insane amounts of gas that is not only uncomfortable as hell but also smells *nasty*. but yesterday bought some ginger root, started taking it w/ every meal. it's too soon to tell now, but im hoping it helps. i have only seriously suffered from IBS for about a year now (i'm 23) and ive only had this horrible gas for less than 6 months, and i cannot even *imagine* having to endure it for years or more. I am a college student and i have to sit in back of the classroom, away from everybody else (i can't be excusing myself every 2 minutes to pass gas). i can't concentrate on anything because of the annoying gas. i don't go to the social activities on campus becuase usually they involve food which ALWAYS leads to guess what, more gas.
I have lost some weight because eating leads to pain/discomfort for me, and now I have bruises on my body, especially on my hips which now only measure 34". however my waist measures 27" or 28", because i'm so unbelieveably bloated, so none of my jeans fit properly. I'm not a petite person (i'm 5'6") but i prolly weigh about 110 lbs at this point. people are starting to think i'm anorexic because i turn down food (eating ANYTHING causes rumbles in my tummy that makes the gas worse.) yesterday i started feeling dizzy and faint-like because i was so weak.
although i do continue to exercise because it does help the stress and the gas. however finals are coming up in less than a week, so who knows how that will end up. So yeah, I would say that this f***ing gas has negatively affected every aspect of my life at this point. I have tried Gas-X, Bentyl, enteric-coated peppermint capsules but i might as well been eating sugar pills as they did absolutely *nothing* to help the gas or pain. so yes, right now i'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the ginger root will do the trick. if so, i too will also be the happiest person on earth! -Izzy

· Registered
73 Posts
Hello, this is my first posting. I have been reading you all's messages and finally decided to join. I have had IBS for about 20yrs of my adult life. Since I've been reading other peoples postings, I now realize that I had it as a child also. I no longer have pain, now I just get C and constant G. I have had to try to get over the emabarrassment that G causes. My G is like a slow leak, that goes on constantly. I often turn down invitations or riding in others cars. I get insulting remarks made behind my back and a lot of snickering. Yes, Dr's treat this problem as a joke and I have been told to live with it. I am trying Chlorophyll caplets, they're supposed to be a colon deodorizer, but all I've noticed is green bowels. Anyway, hang in there girlfriends. You can't let this condition rule your life (I've got nerve to talk)and let's talk each other through this.

G

·
Hello fellow farters!I'm also new to the forum. I've been incredibly moved by some of the shared experiences, mainly because they have been shared... this is one of those, shelly2. *hugs*I have gas nearly everyday, seldom painful, lots of bloat. If the gas is trapped and I'm alone I get down on my elbows and knees OR place my arms straight in front of me flat on the floor, forehead on the floor, legs STRAIGHT from the knee up and body angled... in other words... butt in the air, higher than the rest of the body! The air travels upward and releases, usually. Relax and breath. It might take a little time. I've even placed my knees on the couch and hung over the couch with my hands on the floor, works the same. I learned this from a C-section birth story, can't remember whose but I remember that the information came from the nurse.This might be common knowledge, forgive the redundancy if so.*group hug*xoPeg

· Registered
312 Posts
I know how you guys feel, and although it sux that others have to put up with this, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really want to get ahead with my life but feel so held back by the noisy gas. Antibiotics have gotten rid of the smell, thank God, but my tummy rumbles so much that it sounds like I'm farting even I'm not...so embarrassing! Of course, it gets worse when I get more worried about it! I'm about to see a diet nurse after Xmas about the possibility of candida (thrush) being present in my intestines etc or that I may be eating the wrong types of fibre. I'm also off to the health shop to find me some of that ginger root! I've had this for 8 years now and I'm only 25. It seems to be getting worse, and I swing from diarrhea to constipation. I hate running to the loo and then not being able to move everything!
I too, get really depressed now and figure that if I can't live my life the way I want, I may as well not live at all. I'm sick of feeling isolated and consequently lonely as I watch all my friends getting married and having babies. When will there be a cure for us?

· Registered
73 Posts
Hey, this is Puffy again. I am really glad to be able to talk to women that have the same problem as me. It's not so bad for the men, they just laugh it off, but as women we are looked at as being nasty, disgusting or just plan rude. Do people really think we would sit there and fart if we didn't have to? We have the same problem as someone born with an outward deformity. In other words, we have no control over what our bodies are like. Anyway, this G problem for me started in my early 20's. I am now in my early forties. Flowergirl, don't give up on meeting someone. Even with this problem, I have had tons of nice boyfriends. Men tend to laugh about it if you treat it lightly. My biggest problem is here at work. As I mentioned earlier, this is where the insulting remarks are made, but no one has the nerve to say something to my face. I also have lots of friends here at work. I know when they get together sometimes they talk about me, but guess what...we all talk about each other. EVERYONE HAS FAULTS. Some are just more prominent than others. Also, I put my faith in God because I know he will give me the strenth to deal with whatever comes my way. And belive me I've dealt with a lot.Love you all!

· Registered
344 Posts
I really believe fried food has a lot to do withthis. Has anyone tried staying away from it for48 hrs? My gas is almost gone with the ginger andnow I take Chromium for low blood sugar and drinkginseng. The longer you let it steep, the strongerit is. I almost fell asleep at work!! I am beginning to believe that there are minute ulcersthat people have that are not detectable on xraycausing all this. My docs tend to seem sympathectic but really, I think, blow this offas psychosomatic. I took MOM last night and threesquares of x-lax and have had NO BM in 24 hrs.Thatmakes four days without. I don't know what to dobecause I have to go to work tonight. Any suggestions.?

· Registered
73 Posts
Adminflo, try to get hold of Senna. I buy it from the Health food stores. I used to get it in ready made tea bags. You can usually find that form in herbal stores. Now I found it in capsules, but the tea works the best. Let it steep at least 5 mins, then squeeze the tea bag to get a little of the herb out. It does the trick everytime. Good Luck

· Registered
242 Posts
Flowergirl,have you been on a lot of dates since the beginning of your IBS symptoms? I am 25. I had 2 girlfriends so far. The first one did not make a big deal out of my IBS (but neither did I, because my symptoms were mild), and the second one didn't particularly like it. She is the type who wants to travel to Mexico without knowing where she will stay, or who wants to go to Europe with me and hitchhike from Denmark to Croatia (even though she knows I have this problem). And, then, when I complain I look "pessimistic", "insecure", "scared", "grumpy", etc. I would like to see her deal with the bloody constipation, pain, bloating, gas, etc.So, how do you tell your partners about your IBS? Are you insecure about it? Or, do you approach it from a different angle?

· Registered
312 Posts
Popeye, in the past I have had only one boyfriend who I had to tell. My symptoms weren't that bad then though, so he was understanding. I told him mildly to begin with, e.g: I get sick sometimes and get this horrendous pain. He then took it upon himself to be a knight in shining armour, it made me stronger (until he took off with someone else 3 weeks before our wedding)which consequently stressed me out so much that even after a year my symptoms are really bad. The guy before him though (that I was with when I developed this) was sometimes sympathetic, but other times expected far too much of me. He was very outdoorsy and got frustrated when I tried to explain that I need to know where the toilets are! I broke it off with him as I figured (and this sounds like your current girlfriend) that he wasn't as flexible as I wouldv'e liked and he always wanted to get his way. I have always tried though to keep it my problem and not make it everybody elses. I'm hoping this guy who I'm going out with tonight is the kind that doesn't rely on other people to make him happy or entertained, (that's the sort of person I have now become). Then if I feel unwell he won't get pissed off that I'm not stuck to his side. Don't know when I will tell him, I guess I'll have to play it by air and see what he's like. I have just been to Europe and backpacked everywhere, it was hard but I need to keep challenging myself so this doesn't take over my whole life. If your girlfriend truly loves you for who you are (not what you give her) then she will compromise with you and perhaps take trains (they all have loos on them, and places you can walk off to if you're finding you need some space)instead of backpacking. Perhaps she could go with a friend if you really feel you can't go. I was made a lot stronger through my travels as you have to be headstrong to get by in places you don't know the language of. Remember: Love is not gazing into each others eyes, but both looking outwards in the same direction. In other words, if you feel you are expected to give her something you can't, then she's not the one for you. I'll let you all know how my date goes tonight...I'm so nervous, I'm hoping I can get myself off the loo before I have to be there!!

· Registered
312 Posts
Hi all. The date went well. Popeye, after all I said to you, it appears this one is a little like what we were talking about. He started off on the wrong foot by lying how old he was (that he was 28) when he is nearly 30, (which wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest). He admitted it to me, which is a good thing...and I don't think he's normally the lying type. BUT, it does say something about how he views himself if he's willing to lie to get a girl to like him. I told him he should start off the way he means to continue, and that he shouldn't compromise his integrity to "have" someone. He was nice anyhow, and we may go out for another drink this week, but I am definately on the alert now with him and am not going to rush things. I felt a bit sick a couple of times during the night (due to having been real nervous all day), but told myself that it was just the nerves and I'd be okay...and not to feel stink about having to excuse myself if need be. I was fine after that. I guess if any ibs flares up when we're out I'll tell him then. But I don't feel the need to at the mo unless things get more serious. Thanks for the luck, all you guys help heaps
I'm off to the Xmas carols night now at the park with my friends, I'm feeling heaps more positive about staying true to myself and not caring what others think when I'm sick...they can take me or leave me. :love:

· Registered
73 Posts
Flower Girl. I am so proud of you. This disease is not you. It is a part of you, you are not a part of it. If this is what I have to live with, I'll do it the best I can. I hope I don't sound like Pollyanna, but I went through so many years of feeling bad about something I have no control over. I tried to hide from the world in a way, then I found out that life keeps right on stepping. Stop and take a good look at others. No one is perfect..overweight, underweight, bad breath, chronic liars, braggarts, whiners, big mouths, showoffs, idiots, that's just some of the clowns I work with. At least you seem to have some intelligence which is a lot more that I can say for many others. Take it easy and go on with your life. If there are things that make you extremely uncomfortable don't rush into them. Try a little bit at a time. Like everyone else, I pray for a cure, but until then..Keep the faith

· Registered
326 Posts
shelly2,Last night we went to a Christmas party. I could not even get out of my chair to go around and chat with people. I'm sure they thought I was stuck up or a snob. I had to fart every few minutes. It was much easier to stay seated. Trying to hold it in while standing was a bear. So I know how you feel. Its so annoying to have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.