Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,I was diagnosed with IBS in 1994 and am new to this site. I am wondering if anyone else has headaches constantly? Is this a symptom of IBS? I've read in certain IBS books that headaches are a symptom, but others ignore this topic?Any advice on how, other than consuming Tylenol, I can stop these?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Things like Biofeedback can be useful. Have you talked to your doctor about this? There are a number of treatments for chronic headaches so there may be something you can be doing other that Tylenol, but the first stop is at the doctors. FWIW chronic use of OTC pain relievers can trigger chronic headaches in some people. I usually don't take them for headaches as it sets me up for daily headaches. I will always get headaches for several days if I have to take Tylenol or Motrin for an injury. Taking OTC pain relievers only prolongs the bounce back headache.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dehydration can cause headaches, do you drink enough water? We are always going so much, it is easy to get dehydrated. I drink nearly a gallon of water each day, and on days when I don't, I do get headaches.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This may sound strange, but also check with your dentist to see if you show signs of grinding or clenching your teeth when you sleep. This will cause headaches almost daily, and can be easily fixed by a split (nightguard) that you wear when you sleep.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing for the past few days. I have had a headache, but not the normal type you get from a stressful day. This kind is like a dull feeling all over my head and it hurts when I shift my eyes, or look at bright computer/tv screens. The cheekbones in my face have the same feeling. I have considered that it could be a sinus infection and may see a doctor after work today, though part of me is afraid the doctor at my clinic is getting sick of seeing me so much.Another thought is that I started a new med this week, Levbid. I have taken Levsin on and off before with no headaches so I'm not sure if that would be the cause.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you are a large consumer of beverages containing caffeine, it can produce headaches as a "withdrawal" symptom.In my case, it produced IBS symptoms as well. This, IMHO was a food intolerance and/or allergy. Some other foods, particularly certain white wines, also produce headaches for me.Headache is a common side effect from many different types of drugs, so if you are taking a prescription, it could be the culprit.Since food allergy/intolerance is a touchy subject on the board, here is my disclaimer.___________________________________________My symptoms are not necessarily the sameas your symptoms. Effective treatments for me are not necessarily the same for you.Your mileage may vary.___________________________________________

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think someone else mentioned this, but it's really true-- drink lots of fluids! I used to get persistent headaches (no particular relation to IBS) until I started drinking a lot of water (at least 70 oz a day).Also, don't drink beverages w/caffeine or take meds with caffeine in them. While caffeine helps with headaches in the short-term, caffeine withdrawal will give you rebound headaches.I find that Advil works best for ha's, next to aspirin, but aspirin seems to irritate my stomach.You may also want to make sure that you're not straining your eyes too much or grinding your teeth....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.