Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS-D has ruled my life for quite a while. I've often joked with my mother that I should buy stock in the kaeopectate company!!Anyway, most of the people in my family can't take multivitamins that contain iron because it binds them up. For me this has been a blessing. It keeps me safe all day and I am generally able to have a normal bowel movement after that.Anybody else had this work for them?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I would be careful using iron as a constipating agent in that the level needed for some people might be high enough that it is in the likely to cause toxicity issues range. Now for me I take three prescription iron pills a day (for anemia and many times the dose in a multivitamin) and it doesn't change my stool consistancy at all.What is in normal multivitamin probably wouldn't be a problem, but if take very large doses when you don't need it you could run into trouble. (they can do a blood test to make sure the amount of iron in your body is in the normal range).Calcium is something that also constipates, and at doses in the range that people should be getting every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts