Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Anyone else pain predominant?

11K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  stas 
#1 ·
There is a proven subgroup of IBS pain predominant sufferers. I am diagnosed as IBS WITH a transit problem.Would like to hear from others with my woes as I feel like such a freak.

#2 ·
(JG)I pm'd you a few days ago. I'm going to the IBS Dr tommorrow. Typed up some issues and questions for when I go so I don't freak and forget things. I also did a diagram of where my pain/spasms/discomfort is and have described exactly what I feel in writing. I even made a poop diary cause people, Dr's too just don't beleive me. I may have already told you this I forget but anyway I stopped taking the elavil cause I thought it might be making me C (probably is just me)and it wasnt working the higher dose I took. They switched me to despiramine and the side effects were just awful. I stuck it out for a week with profuse sweating and flushing 24/7, excessive salivation(I was drooling)bad taste and I was so jittery it was like I was on speed. It didnt do a thing for my pain either. I'm not looking forward to trying out all different antidepressants in case they want to give me a new one.I'm bummed cause the elavil used to work really well and I had no side effects except maybe being C which didnt change with the despiramine. It seems that the pain aspect of motility disorders is extremely difficult to treat even when you can communicate what you feel to the Dr. I need a therapist if this is going to be as good as its gonna get.

#3 ·
I read your p.m. and was also looking for those other people you mentioned. Thanks, Nancy. Today was so bad I took Hydrocodone ES (up to 10, now) in the middle of the day. It actually made me happy as a side effect

#4 ·
Hi, haven't posted in years. Now I am pain predominant again. Anyone else? Life is a mess.

#5 ·
Pain was always my worst symptom when the IBS was bad. Mild issues with stool consistency and frequency and those alone wouldn't have been bothersome. The extreme pain was what was very disruptive as I couldn't walk without setting it off.There is another functional disorder called Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain, which can be all the pain of IBS with normal stool consistency and frequency.

#6 ·
My current GI basically looked at me and diagnosed with me pain predominant IBS on the spot. I have my doubts, of course. But I've had IBS symptoms my whole life, though the diarrhea-constipation rollercoaster has never been a major issue at all.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello I have been reading all posts on here thank heavens don't feel on my own!!Things have been quiet for me until the 18 March (Fri) I always have the odd niggling cramp pain but I have been laid flat for the past 2 days.I awoke at 5am with severe stomach cramps it felt like a knot with radiating pain in the centre of my tummy and my back. (pain scale 8-9)I could not move or walk, drink or eat, the pain continued until 1pm, I laid in agony for 7 hours.Hycosine failed to alleviate symptoms as did paracetamol.I thought this was a one off as had this in January, sadly not. Next day very very inflamed and tender tummy and sore.What other drug out there? I am not going through this level of pain again.(Am seeing GP this week - have had enough).

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
(long story short) I am having severe pain and the need to run to the toilet every morning for the last 8 years, and it goes on all the day; cant get far from the toilet. The question is if i will have an IBS Attack in the evening (mostly with a low grade fever, in the morning i am very cold and in the evening its different, even worse) because its goes on to the night and the spasms are worse. i also have some sort of hunger pain and heartburn and sometimes severe burning in my guts but not every day.I have Proctitis probably because of the IBS symptoms , but it has nothing to do with it, been checked for everything, its the F***EN IBS.

#9 ·
Low grade fever? Doesn't that concern the doctors any? What does your temperature run throughout the day?My temperature goes up when I'm stressed (that's a normal reaction for everyone), but I can't say my IBS symptoms come with any sort of increase.And one more question: have you had your thyroid functioning tested?

#10 ·
I am pain predominant too. If I make any change in my diet (I tried one teaspoon of sunflower seeds the other day - pain all day!) I am in pain, largely due to the fact that I become Constipated easily. I have to eat a lot of fruit and fibre. I do not take any meds for it. If I manage my diet well I can go months without pain. Right now I am trying out different foods and reintroducing foods. It's going ok but not great.I was put on an antidepressant a couple years ago. I only took it two days because it made me sooo shaky!My best pain management is acupuncture. Works like a charm.

#11 ·
Hello....I am new to this site and of course looking for answers to my latest malady. I have started ti get stabbing knife like pains in my gut that lasts for 30 seconds, maybe longer or less. It jumps from my stomach to the left side of my abdomen. It'll go away for a while and out of the blue it starts in a different spot. I have read stress brings on IBS and I have a lot of it. I used to use the toilet regularily in the morning but now it doesn't happen like clock work any more. Is this a normal symptom? When the stabbing starts I have to hold my breath sometimes. Do outbreaks ever leave and stay away for a while?? Thanks for your response ahead of time.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes the pain and the the change in toilet habits, both are common IBS symptom. do you have to go to the toilet when the pain comes,do you eat enough, because when i had it starting from the the stomach i needed to eat. as i understand it started lately, try to remember what unhealthy changes in your daily routine could brought it, maybe not eating when you want to, or something of this sort? i think its very possible to get rid of it with SPORTS, DIET, and if its possible try acupuncture it could be effective with this symptom. try to be calm and dont think about your guts, dont anticipate the pain.if you can, visit a gastro doc to be tested for other causes to the pain, he will probably give you antispasmodics, maybe it will help, you must try things and it will surely go away.

#15 ·
i have just been diagnosed with ibs, i have been reading about it on the internet and most symptoms are about going to the toilet and bowel movements changing. but my main symptom is pain! it wakes me up in the night all the time, i have changed my diet, am on anti-spasmodic's, paracetamol and ibuprofen, and when i get a spasm's i am still in agony, .. has any one found any herbal remedies that have helped the pain? as i am starting to give up on prescribed medicine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.