Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to make my story brief, but informational as possible.Periodically (maybe once every few months I would get very constipated) in the last 5 years.August 2008 - went to after hours care for extreme abdominal pain and feeling of constipation - then I was sent to the ER with possible appendicitis. CAT scan performed. "Terminal Ileitis" was my diagnosis. Admitted to a room. Next morning the GI doc saw me and suggested I get a colonoscopy. Prepped that day and had it done the next morning. Next diagnosis: Crohn's Disease.Took the next week off from extreme fatigue and discomfort. Follow-up from hospital visit: took lots of Pentasa for several weeks. It caused at least 4 bowel movements a day. Still lots of pain and discomfort.I eventually went off the Pentasa after about 2 months. Still had issues. I feared going out in public because when I had to go - I had to go then. My office was fully aware of my issues at that point (small office and freaked since I was sick for awhile).Over the next few months I had another colonoscopy, swallowed the pill cam, another CAT scan, celiac testing, food allergy testing.. and a variety of different medications. My symptoms had changed from diarrhea to constipation. Pro-biotics, vitamins, fiber supplements, Miralax, laxatives (either they worked too well or didn't work). With the celiac testing I went gluten-free for over two months. Nothing changed. I cried a lot to my doctor, in the car and pretty much didn't do anything for months. From all the diagnoses that said eat this eat that I ended up gaining 25-30 lbs. since I first went into the hospital.Since then I have been using Fleet enemas, glycerin suppositories, and fiber pills. I began going to therapy in April 2009 due to anxiety and panic attacks. It is under a lot better control and I don't have panic attacks anymore. I still have constipation. If I don't use any sort of "action" I cannot have a bowel movement. The discomfort I feel now is always feeling like I need to go. It isn't "pushing" per se, but it is like stuck in my colon. If I pretend to ignore it I feel it pressing against my tail bone. The pain is gone about 20 minutes after I use an enema. So I figure it has to be from that. When I first use an enema the stool is hard and usually the rest is super soft. I *do* eat a lot of soluble and insoluble fiber. I drink at least 64 oz. of water a day. Maybe twice a week I drink a 12oz. can of Diet Coke. I do occasionally drink, but not everyday.Any thoughts? I've asked my primary care physician for another referral to go back to a GI doc.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.