Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi well iw as wondering if there was anyone else who has the IBS type that alternates between C and D, like i will have C for a week then get D and the cycle continues. i was wondering what were the best solutions to getting balance people had found? im currently having calcium twice a day to stop the D, the Cs been a bit of a problem though since i got D on saturday, i tried acidophilius for a couple of days but stopped after i got D, i dont think it was that that did it but to be on the safe side im going to wait until i have some time off work to try that one again

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I alternate and the only thing that has really helped me keep a good balance is fiber. I have taken 2 fibercon tabs/day for over 10 yrs. What it seems to do (for me) is to make my D formed, my gastro says that even if your poop is formed if you go and go many, many times its considered D due to the frequency. It was a gradual process with the fibercon as when I started taking it my D was loose and watery. In time things became more formed. I think that also what has helped me is paxil (it helps me be less obscessed w/pooping or not pooping) and knowing that I'm not "normal" and that that is okay.BTW acodopholas never helped me, it gave me more gas but if I ever need to be on an antibiotic I do take it to prevent trouble.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'm an alternating IBS, too. It's a misery, isn't it? I don't do much of anything except just suffer to the whims of it all. I can't take fiber because I also have adhesions really bad and fiber just doesn't move. When I'm in C, I drink a lot of V-8 juice. When I'm in D, I just don't eat. I wish there was something I could tell you of value, but I don't know anything. This alternate stuff is a rollercoaster ride, going from one extreme to the other. I will tell you this, that my D cycle always hits in the fall. I have a C cycle that is very strong in spring to early summer. Any other time is up for grabs. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know id probably say this because i have this type but i do honestly be;ieve that this is the most irritating type of IBS, because if you try and treat the C thats not helping the D and if you treat the D you probably end up with C so its like a vicious cycle. i try not to eat any wheat or dairy, i had an intolerance test but it came back okay, however i was younger and my accupuncturist i think said something about eating some trigger foods so the test would show if they bothered me and i dont think i did this so the test may not have been accurate. i noticed alot of people still eat wheat and dairy, i find this odd because my doctor always says dairy is the worst for IBS and even non IBSers have trouble digesting wheat, but some people on here dont seem to have a problem with it, i find it strange really. also i note if i do have trigger food sometimes i seem to get away with it, why is that does anyone think? its so fickle sometimes.im going to carry on in my mission to find a balance i will let you know if i find some success!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I alternate to, cant seem to find that happy medium

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I was pain predominate d and c and a multitute of other IBS symptoms and non gi symptoms. The best things I have done to this day is still "mike's tapes" they helped to balance the d and c and eliminate a lot of pain episodes and other IBS symptoms and non IBS symptoms.Ponderings of an IBSerhttp://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/51510173/m/67910046 They have helped a whole lot of people.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Eric, i have asked my husband to buy me mike's tapes for my birthday in january.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, very common with IBS. I wanted to let you guys know of a great line of products that has done wonders for me and my IBS. It's called Advanced Naturals (http://www.advancednaturals.com). I have had wonderful results with their Intestimax, floramed, IBSmax and some of thier other digestive products. I't all about building up healthy bacteria, and avoiding the "trigger foods". Good luck!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Hope, I am glad to hear that and when you get them and get started let us know. There is an excellent chance they will help you.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I am pretty sure they are on sale right now I believe, but not positive.Through heather they are for the holidays although through Mike probably as well.../shop/books/hypnoibs.aspI don't think insurance will cover the tapes, but perhaps some insurance will. It should but insurance isn't usally that progressive yet.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
on another note for those in the uk, you might be close to see Mike in person. He also trains others in the UK.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The alternating is the worst. It's a horrible cycle and so hard to predict. You do something to help one and cause the other, and the pain is nasty. I still haven't really found anything effective enough to change the c/d problem, but I keep trying.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah ive been interested in trying those, ive been trying to convince my parents to pay at least half, my dads usually quite good with that stuff if he thinks it will help, like he paid for a lot of accupuncture a while back, i think my mums a bit sceptical about this sort of thing though. eric, where is it that mike does this training exactly? and what do you mean by training? like a uni course?

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Sophie22,Eric means that Mike trains other hypnotherapists in the UK - if you are looking to see a therapist in person, he has a list of those in the UK that he has taught - Mike is in Cheshire and he usually teaches the workshop at his medical centre there, but he also travels too, but this training is for professionals in the field - if you are close to his medical centre - he sees many uni students with IBS as well. (I know of one gal who was out of school with IBS for 2 years and is fine now and went back to Uni after working with Mike.)Your mum can speak with him or his staff directly if she wishes, as there is a free-phone in the UK - if you are too far to travel to Cheshire, or don't want to incur the expense of seeing one of his trained therapists in person in your area, the IBS Audio Program would be a good option for you - you can contact them also at the website above. There is a link to the IBS Register there as well, which lists the therapists in the UK that he has trained. As soon as Mike lets me know of the sale, I will pass it on - I believe it will be in January.If you have any questions, let us know!
Ta!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ahhh nice one, well i live sort of north east in yorkshire and chesire is down south, its not miles away probably a few hours but i will probably just get the CDs interesting though that he does workshops and stuff i will either order them this pay day or next (get paid weekly not monthly so dont have to wait long) they sound good and i know when i go back to uni on my midwifery course im gonna need it big time!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh! i forgot to ask, i know they are meant to help especially if you get anxiety and the resulting IBS effects but do they help in other ways too, like your non stressed IBS symptoms?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.