Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just diagnosed with IBS (FINALLY!) this week after a few particularly nasty rounds of nausea/vomiting along with the usual IBS symptoms. I'm trying out find out if the terrible nausea/vomiting (which lasts for 12-48 hours) is part of my IBS or if there is also something else going on. It always coincides with an IBS flare-up.History:I've had IBS symptoms all my life, beginning with being a colicky baby for the first 18 months of my life. Every few years or so I'd have flare-ups intermittently over the course of several months. I recall feeling nauseated then too, along with the cramping, bloating, etc., but not quite to the extent that I've been nauseated this time around. Of course my IBS flares when I am preg. Lately I've been able to tell the exact day when my cycle is going to start by when the IBS pain (and nausea?) kicks in. Usually I'm extremely constipated and during my recent flares have had watery diarrhea. From what I've described it does sound like the nausea/vomiting is part of the IBS, but there are 2 reasons why I'm not really sure it is. First, I've had the horrible pain, cramps, bloating, etc. without the n/v before. Second, for the last several months I've been feeling nauseated after meals (esp. if it was fatty or high in protein and I ate more than about 5 mouthfuls) and have not had the pain associated with IBS.I can handle the IBS pain OK (I've gotten used to being in pain a lot
); it's the nausea/vomiting that is really nasty! Any insights on what might be behind it? If it is the IBS, what can I do to get rid of it? I've got to get this figured out soon b/c I'm well on my way to becoming a living skeleton!

·
Registered
153 Posts
well, about 5 years ago, i would get horrible stomach cramps and be really constipated and then finally go to the bathroom and be ok. my doctor did a barium enema and then told me i had IBS and to eat more fiber. so ever since when i get a little stressed and constipated, i ate some more fruit, and i would be fine. about 8 weeks ago, i had a UTI. i always get a lot of nausea and vomitting with a urinary tract infection, so i got my antibiotics and some gravol (dramamine) and went home again. the next day my upper ride quadrant hurt, and a lot of back pain around my kidney's. and the N&V were horrible. so i went tot he ER and they suspected it was a kidney infection, but the antibiotics i took the day before had already cleared my urine. they said they would give me the good antibiotics IV for the kidney infection anyway, but they also said i was full of stool, and made me take an oral fleet. Well, the pain got worse, i was taking dilaudid at home, and so much gravol. the N&V were bad enough, but the med's made it worse. anyway, a few days leter i went back to the hospital and was asmitted because they thought it must be my gall bladder, especially because of the N&V and right upper quadrant (RUQ)pain. to make a long story short, we are now fairly confident that it is not my gall bladder. I did get to go home after 3 days, but the N&V were horrible. so for about 2 1/2 weeks, i couldn't eat hardly anything at all. and anything with fat would make the N&V horrible. i finally got things to settle by looking at the eating for ibs site and finding a few helpful hints, like peppermint and chammomile help the tummy to settle. i also cute fat out fo my diet as much as possible. for a few weeks all i ate was stir fry's (the sauce is fat free, and use fat free veggie broth to cook the veggies), some fat free cottage cheese with fruit, and some fat free yogurt and pudding. (obviously dairy doesn't bother me a lot). after about 2 weeks, my stomach settled. and now i am slowing adding thins back to my diet. just low fat things, but a little at a time, and the N&V are only bad if i overdo it. so yes i totally know what youa re talking about, my advice is to cut fat out and see if it works, and when you feel better then slowly add it back in. also, SEE YOUR DOCTOR. just make sure it's nothing more serious, and your doctor may have some other helpful hints.the website i referred to is www.eatingforibs.com i just got the cook book yesterday too, and i'm very excited about it
good luck, and i will be thinking about you, i know how horrible the NV can be. (by the way,i lost 15 pound, but i've finally stabilized and i'm not loosing any more
)karen

G

·
I am having the same problem but my stomache is bothering me 24/7. I am not vomiting but I want to sometimes. It feels like a nervous tummy. I am having trouble eating now along with abdominal cramping and bloating. I have no idea if this is IBS related. I am not pregnant and I cannot pin point anything else. I had my GB out in '99, bad D after that with the cramping, bloating, gas, PAIN. I am finally on Questran and it is helping with the D but not much else. I mean it is helping but I still have the other symptoms of pain and bloating and gas. Anyone have an idea if this could be IBS related? I am getting annoyed. I cannot handle nausea! Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i too have terrible sickness with the ibs,if i wake up anytime after 3am then the cramps start,i have to go straight away to the toilet and sit with my arms against the cold wall as i heat up so so much that i feel i am going to pass out! the heat then causes me to get very very sick but because it is so early i have nothing to vomit therefor i am left feeling very sick for hours,then i cant go out b4 noon as it is far too much bother dealing wiv an attack,i cant believe we are left to suffer in this day and age,you have most doctors saying its because im stressed when clearly im not...i have had ibs for 13 years now and because i had it as a 12 year old i learned to deal with it by not eating very much as the less i ate the less pain i was in and less frequently,i am now expecting my 5th child and the pain is unbelievable,its not half as much pain as giving birth...but its something me and my children have to deal with not easy but we cope and my children have always known me to suffer with this,so they had no adjusting to do but it would be so nice if i could just wake up for one morning of the week where i can say "right kids lets go and do something fun" instead of having to wait untill half the day is gone...wot can i do

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:s. I'm trying out find out if the terrible nausea/vomiting (which lasts for 12-48 hours)
You should be evaulated for CVS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
chix, I hear you. I also have kids ( three of them, a six year old and twins that are five) and it sucks never being able to go anywhere early; getting them to school on time is a job! i'm glad it sounds like your kids are dealing with it well; mine also have never known me to be "well" yet they still get angry with me that I cannot get out early; it makes playing sports and all very difficult for all of us. I would like to have another but I'm scared of putting another through this and I'm not sure I could do it; the baby needs a bottle and I sitting on the toilet for five hours!!?? I baby sat my baby nephew one day and it scared me; I wasn't this sick when mine were newborns and i really don't think I could do it (well, do it well anyway) If you have any tips on mothering with ibs I'd be very interested (please note my husband is useless and very unsupportive, he dosen't believe there is anything wrong with me, i just think I have to go to the bathroom that much, I'm not really going all that time, etc)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*bump* and also wondering, what is CVS? Chronic Vomiting Syndrome? Chronically Very Sick? LOL What are the other symptoms/signs of CVS besides nausea and/or vomiting? It seems like there are a lot of things that could cause that alone. I only have the n/v when I'm also having irritable bowel symptoms. I would think they go together except that it seems like not many other people have that symptom with their IBS. Just trying to figure out where it's coming from. I'm so messed up. . . . join the club I guess, huh?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Yes...I have had vomitting with IBS. I would get the spastic colon so bad that it would get so tight that it would trigger me to vomit. I had this problem severely so for many years. As I have gotten older and in the past 5 years or so my episodes are shorter and further inbetween. For years I would have two bouts a month. I had every test when I was young and they suspected a kidney stone and then female problems, the cyclic ovarin cyst theory and then IBS and then chemical and so on and on... what it boiled down to is that I threw up sometimes for a week straight and I had to finally get an IV from the ER room and take compazine or phenergan and it knocked me out. SO i would lose 2 weeks a month of my life. I was always and still am an IBS C type. I started having this past Friday the symptoms that get it all going when I do get an episode of vomitting. I started with the lower left spastic pain...not feeling good and had hard contraction like pain.. I took bentyl and rested with my heat pad and for the past 5 days every a.m. when I wake up I have the spastic colon on the left..Not with D..just the pain...I have been taking bentyl and it has taken the edge for me...When I get these episodes I always notice that my nose will feel like it is stuffed up and I feel like I have a lot mucus and I feel as though I look a bit puffy in my face. My eyes look a bit swollen and so does my face. Through the years I gave up in knowing what it is exactly and I am thankful that as I have gotten older that I might only have a few bouts of the vomitting with extreme spastic colon a few times a year. I keep phenergan in my refrigerator all the time.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:and came to the conclusion that I probably don't have CVS
Maybe you didnt read it carefully.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
ohnoI read the information at this link http://www.cvsaonline.org/cvsadultscodev.htm and so much of it sure sounds what I experienced.. I am thankful that it is passing or has passed..I hate to say this out loud but I have noticed that my daughter has the signs of maybe getting the nausea and vomitting as well. It seems that for the last 2 months she has complained of nausea and the feeling that she is going to vomit. I have noticed that she seems to get this when she has a lot of stress going on..and when her asthma is acting up a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When mine was at its worst the attacks coincided with food and the thought of eating made me sick which made me nauseated and which made me vomit.If you are convinced eating will make you ill, then you will almost certainly vomit when u eat anything.Anti-anxiety drugs helped me get over that.Maybe you should talk to a psychologist about eating anxieties? Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
RitaLucyThere are alot of children with CVS that has asthma...I work for the outreach program for Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. If you would like some more information about CVS I can have someone send it to you....Just let me know
orGet in touch with Debra and be up front on your needs. We have scholarships available for those unable to afford the $35 yearly dues. Debra will be sure you get the packet regardless of your ability to pay. The first goal is education and help to those with CVS. Fundraising is about finding a cure and helping to get the word out as well as offering scholarships to those who cannot afford to join. Debra Waites Executive Director - CVSA 3585 Cedar Hill RD NW Canal Winchester, OH 43110 ph/fax: 614-837-2586 waitesd###cvsaonline.org www.cvsaonline.org

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like many have stated, we are not doctors or health professionals but you keep asking about the nausea and vomiting for so many hours.Have you had labs of any kind to check you out for any kind of metabolic disorder? The only reason I mention this is some people get flare ups of vomiting when they have a disorder. A ammonia level is what my family goes through if we become spacey when we are feeling very nauseated and vomiting.I have had vomiting when the IBS got to be bad, but now knowing I do have a metabolic disorder, I can't ignore that maybe it was part of that.I read another post about the feeling heated up and feeling faint. I have gone through that too. Still off and on if I eat wrong I get those episodes but they are much less frequent and eating better has improved my life somewhat.I also have listened to tapes for IBS which have helped me alot. I remember having pain on my left side so many times and now its just now and then. I can't eat much fiber, fat, or too much sugary stuff of I get feeling sick. Due to my metabolic disorder, I have to limit protein intake, esp meat and if I eat too much meat, I become very sick to my stomach and feel horrible.If you really see this is affecting you alot, maybe a drs. visit is necessary to rule things out. I don't advocate going to the doctor but your concerns seem very urgent to me. I hope you get help soon so you know why you feel so badly for this amount of time. I do know the flu is going around so for now, it could be that, but if its happening around the year, I would want to know why too.Just wished I had more answers to help you out. Please take care now and get rest when these episodes happen.Theresa

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.