Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weeks, I have been experiencing upper left abdominal pain. The pain is slight and it comes and goes. Sometimes I also experience bloating, belching along with the pains. The first time this pain occurred it seemed almost like a runner’s pain, you know that feeling when you run fast and get a pain on your left side. The pain was dull and it would last for most of the day. Sometimes like today I feel that weird pain or discomfort on the upper left side and it almost feels like gas today. I have had IBS for several years now. So just as a precautionary measure I visited my Gastroenterologist and he thinks it may be a functional problem so he advised me to up my dose of my anti-spasmatic medication and sent me for an abdominal sonogram. Has anyone experience this? Could this just be another form of the side effects from IBS? Thank you for any advice or insight on this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Tony, I have the same kind of pain during an IBS-D flareup. Nothing helps but the pain isn't as bad when I lay down. Very frustrating and painful when I'm out and about. If anyone has suggestions to deal with the pain, I'm open for them. Thanks and have a great weekend, Cynthia

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tony, I too have the exact same pain in the upper left abdominal area and your discription of it is EXACTLY the way I described it to my doctor and they looked at me like I had two heads!!! I thought maybe I was passing kidney stone or something... we even checked out my gallbladder and all tests came back negative. i was diagnosed with IBS due to stress. But it is good to know that there is someone else out there that has had this pain also. It is very frustrating and makes me want to just scream. It comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. Just wanted you to know you are not alone!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same pain, except it is one the right side. Can Ibs cause this almost constant disocmfort. Can any test see this, like an x ray? i tried an anti-spasmotic, but my acid reflux came back worse.

G

·
Tony - this is an absolute classic hot spot for pain and discomfort - and yes, its at the splenic flexure. I get it = not often, though I've had a particularly nasty dose of it recently - mine is quite severe stop you in your tracks, followed by hideous gurgling and rumbling and then it passes. No not worry - you are definately not alone on this one.Sue

·
Registered
11 Posts
i to have this pain on the left and right side and it does subside when i lie down you are right in saying its like you have been runing to hard the pain is just like a stitch pain.i have got many other symptoms but this pain has been worrying me.i am so glad i have found this site it is so reasureing to know you are not alone.i have been suffering with IBS for the last six months my other symptoms are pain in the lower left hand side,pain in the left pelvic region,pain in middle of abdomen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having awful sharp gas pain in my upper left abdominal area - right under the breastbone. Woke up with it this morning and here it is 11 at night and it's still hurting. I can't take a deep breath and can't do anything active for fear of getting winded. Just normal breathing hurts! I've had this a couple of other times in my life - the first time it happened I went to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack and they gave me a "cocktail" of Maalox and some other thing that did no good. The pain lasted for DAYS after that. All part of the IBS I guess, but has anyone found any over the counter...or herbal, or home-made remedies that have helped you with this sort of thing? I just don't have the luxury of being able to stay home and take it easy this time around...need to get quality rest at night and be able to function at work fully. Any suggestions??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.