Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing doc on monday. symptoms range between feeling nausiated, constipated. More recently, I have been getting up at 3 am with pain under my breast bone and in my back. also left side feels like blockage is there. this morning i felt terrible, no sleep, but then felt like i had to go poop and all pains went away. accept that i am constipated. should i take some perdiem or stool sofner. Not dealing well with this.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Its pretty common to have pain in the lower left side, area of sigmoid colon. If there is a spasm it might feel like something is blocked. it feels that way alot to me but i have been assured by my GI that nothing is blocked. The pain under your breastbone and nausea might have something to do with your gallbladder. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Its pretty common to have pain in the lower left side, area of sigmoid colon. If there is a spasm it might feel like something is blocked. it feels that way alot to me but i have been assured by my GI that nothing is blocked. The pain under your breastbone and nausea might have something to do with your gallbladder. Hope this helps

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dear Maria, This could possibly be from gallbladder problems. I had pain under my right breast bone next to my esophagus which also went to my back. I have always been constipated. I had my gallbladder removed in Feb. of this year, but without relief from symptoms. Diagnosis was made from an ultrasound that showed a distended gallbladder filled with thick bile. Don't know how they could tell that the bile was thick. Maybe I am remembering that from after the surgery. I also have acid reflux and Gerd. I also had a tube put down my esophagus to exam that and stomach and upper small intestine. There was minor irritation so the Dr. now says I have Nerd which is supposedly less of a problem than Gerd. He said I could continue taking antiacids like pepcid AC etc. if I wanted to but it wasn't necessary in his opinion. They didn't seem to help that much and I took many kinds over a period of several years,, mostly prescription and quite expensive!. So I stopped. I have been experimenting with a celiac disease diet. Have been on it for about six weeks, but fell off the wagon bigtime when I had company last week. I think I was a little better before that. This week I have been back to base one. That may also be from eating too much fruit which is allowed on a gluten free diet for celiac. See www.celiac.com for more information. For constipation I use mineral oil enemas some times, or thoroughly clean the bottle they come in and use warm water.I have also used suppositories, Milk of Magnesia, and stool softener. I have a hiatal hernia which I suspect gets irritated when I strain at stool that is too hard. Also I am getting on the elderly side, (76) and suspect the anal area may just be getting flabby, although I have always walked alot. I just read in the latest Iggf (can't remember the exact letters, but it's an ibs journal) that there is no evidence that taking mineral oil by mouth keeps one from absorbing vitamins. I may try using it again. It helped during my younger days, but I was warned away from it. Hope this helps. Walking Lady, (Ruth)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dear Maria, This could possibly be from gallbladder problems. I had pain under my right breast bone next to my esophagus which also went to my back. I have always been constipated. I had my gallbladder removed in Feb. of this year, but without relief from symptoms. Diagnosis was made from an ultrasound that showed a distended gallbladder filled with thick bile. Don't know how they could tell that the bile was thick. Maybe I am remembering that from after the surgery. I also have acid reflux and Gerd. I also had a tube put down my esophagus to exam that and stomach and upper small intestine. There was minor irritation so the Dr. now says I have Nerd which is supposedly less of a problem than Gerd. He said I could continue taking antiacids like pepcid AC etc. if I wanted to but it wasn't necessary in his opinion. They didn't seem to help that much and I took many kinds over a period of several years,, mostly prescription and quite expensive!. So I stopped. I have been experimenting with a celiac disease diet. Have been on it for about six weeks, but fell off the wagon bigtime when I had company last week. I think I was a little better before that. This week I have been back to base one. That may also be from eating too much fruit which is allowed on a gluten free diet for celiac. See www.celiac.com for more information. For constipation I use mineral oil enemas some times, or thoroughly clean the bottle they come in and use warm water.I have also used suppositories, Milk of Magnesia, and stool softener. I have a hiatal hernia which I suspect gets irritated when I strain at stool that is too hard. Also I am getting on the elderly side, (76) and suspect the anal area may just be getting flabby, although I have always walked alot. I just read in the latest Iggf (can't remember the exact letters, but it's an ibs journal) that there is no evidence that taking mineral oil by mouth keeps one from absorbing vitamins. I may try using it again. It helped during my younger days, but I was warned away from it. Hope this helps. Walking Lady, (Ruth)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.