Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi thereHas anyone tried colonic hydrotherapy?I don't really want to go into the details of how it works but it is supposed to be very successful for constipation and waste removal from the colon. Enough said.
ScottySwotty

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
As a one-time deal (or periodically for really bad C) a properly performed colonic certainly can clean-out the end-pipe so to speak. Routine use of colonotherapy as advocated by some colonotherapists has been found to disrupt the normal homeostatic balance of the lower colon. Can also lead to "neuro-physio-mechanical dependence" if done routinely (frequent use ablates the normal distal-gut reflexes which modulate colon functions: or, can't go without it)so a "good allopathic physisian or dietician" would caution against this. There is a lot of information available on both sides of the argument. Some folks here will bring it on, or you can search it up easily. I would start pulling stuff for you to read but I can't come out to play this morning...gotta work. On a personal note one my my ex-live-together girlfriends for eight years was really into this among many other so-called alternative "colon health" methods. And it seemed the more she did, the more she needed, all the while espousing the effectiveness of each method or supplement or "cleansing formula" as well as the monthly, then biweekly, then weekly colonic. I eventually became suspicious that there was nothing left in there but a finely-polished, gleaming a smooth-bore pipe after five years of that. But as we know the colon is not supposed to be a passive smooth-bore pipe. Have a hectic day!MNL

G

·
I tried it a couple years ago, and while there were no bad effects, there were no good effects either. Nothing happened. So I guess I don't recommend it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I tried this a number of years ago and it just made me very tired for a day or so. I have serious reservations about some of the supposed benefits. I definitely would not recommend a series of these. best of luck.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I would much prefer a colon cleansing program over a colonic anyday. It is much safer and the I believe the results are more beneficial as well. There is too much involved in a colonic. Anything that is invasive to me is too risky.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
A colonic irrigation involves flushing the colon with huge volumes of water. Usually, it is performed by someone who routinely does this procedure. Basically, the patient lies stomach-side down on a table and the practitioner passes a tube into the rectum. This tube is connected to a tap water feed and water is allowed to pass into the colon for about 45 minutes to an hour. During this time, the anus is allowed to drain feces.The primary principle motivating this therapy is that stool becomes "stuck" in the colon and this buildup of stool causes the buildup of toxins, which can make one sick. In fact, advocates of this procedure may claim that they have found mother�s breast milk or even a child�s nails (from nailbiting in childhood) in the colon of an adult!These claims are without merit. Normally, the digestive system does not tolerate such a buildup of stool ( ). It prevents this by employing a housekeeping activity known as the migrating motor complex, or MMC for short. Every day a wave of peristalsis sweeps over the entire length of the digestive tract, moving material along. Of course, it is possible that the MMC is not working right. The result is a slowing of movement in the GI tract, known as stasis, which can lead to bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel. However, colonic irrigations do not reach the small bowel. Finally, toxins, such as ammonia, are not allowed to buildup in the digestive tract. Whether one is constipated or not, there is a continual supply of new material entering the colon. So old or new, toxins must continually be processed by the liver. They buildup only if there is a problem with liver function, as in he-patic encephalopathy ( ). In addition to the illogical basis for colonic irrigations, there are potential dangers. First, putting a large volume of water in the intestine can lower the osmotic potential in the lumen forcing important minerals, such as potassium, to leak out of the body, resulting in an electrolyte abnormality. Further, it is possible to damage the rectum when placing the speculum (the tip of the tube that enters the rectum) causing a rectal prolapse or other damage to the rectum ( ). Finally, if the instruments used are not sterile, the patient might develop an infection with a dangerous pathogen ( ).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.