Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Anyone had part of colon removed?Beneficial?

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  harmonize 
#1 ·
My doc. is talking about the possibility of surgery if other measures still don't help.My colon X-ray shows several loops,the worst part being near the end of the colon where everything is all bunched up.People have told me they know people who've had the surgery and found it helpful.I'd like to hear directly from anyone who has had it themselves .I've only ever met one person who did and she had ,it seemed to me,worse problems as a result and had to have a very restricted diet.She was very depressed!

#3 ·
I have not had that particular surgery. However, I had life saving emergency surgery for a bowel impaction that was pretty bad.The colon surgeon told my husband that I was extremely lucky to have missed needing a bowel resection.The colon surgeon said that a bowel resection would have it's own set of difficult problems and that we would do better to avoid that kind of surgery.Kamie

G
#4 ·
Had 18 inches of the ileum removed 7 months ago for bowel obstruction. Recovery is slow and painful. Surgeon claims I will be back to normal, I think he is full of it. So many foods I can no longer eat and with the malabsorption syndrome I do not easily gain weight. Very easily loose weight and I never miss a meal or snack.Anyhow I had no choice with this surgery and would rather have had 10 kids. LOLChar

#6 ·
ibsedHere is a reply that is not negative.I had a bowel resection on 6/8. I had 12 inches of my colon removed. It was sure a surprise!! I had diverticulitis with no symptoms. I was taken to the ER in an ambulance, and the surgeon said he had no choice but to operate as my colon had burst. I had a colostomy for 3 months, and then a reversal on 9/9. I am still recuperating, but all is fine. I did not have a choice about the surgery, but am sure glad I went to have it checked out and got it fixed!!!I wish you well.ShellyWe are all different, unique--but most of all---special. Together with our doctor, we search for the right combination of life styles and meds.I pray that you find something that is comfortable for YOU.

G
#7 ·
Incidental to having a flat polyp removed in my sigmoid colon, I had 12 inches removed...a small focus of cancer was found in that so it was quite fortuitous that I had it done. Quite by surprise I have found that my life long problem with constipation has pretty much disappeard..I have had virtually no problem with motility since the surgery (May 02). My surgery was pretty rough though...I had open surgery and that left me with a 9" incision scar and it really took my six months to get back to feeling really normal...your mileage may vary.

#8 ·
Surgery may also have its own set of problems. Some people form extreme scarring whenever surgery is done. This in itself can create more loops in the bowel. I had a bowel resection due to Endometriosis in '89. Special care was taken to prevent scarring with all the latest products used. My whole digestive system went off for more than a year. Any problems previously had were intensified. Extremely fast transit for a year. In and Out within minutes. I still have problems eating raw apples and veggies. Excessive gas. I have learned to live with it, but am always bloated and have gas cramps. Weight gain due to poor digestion.Some people do not scar easily, and these are the people that may respond to this treatment well.

#9 ·
I had 4 inches removed a year ago. My doctor was surprised as well when he got in there. I had an obstruction, the obstruction was wrapped arounf my appendix, and I had diverticulitius. Didn't this help, of course. It wasn't a cure all answer, but I am not doubled over with pain any more. I do still have problems with gas and bloating, but that definately doesn't compare to the pain and vomiting I was suffering before the surgery. Good luck to you.

#10 ·
I had two resections due to severe constipation, 17 to 20 days without defacating and very sick, the first one they removed half the colon but within three months I was in emergency room and had the second resection. With that one I had a bowel obstruction and the colon had herniated so they had to remove all but 4 inches, I woke up with an ileostomy that was reversed three months after that. Now that I am all reconnected things are definately diferent than they used to be as now I can't stop going and I constantly have diarrhea, but I feel better than I used to. Because I had three very intense surgeries in six months time it took a long time to recover and I still get very tired plus I am afflicted with the dreaded adhesions that are very painful. My diet is much different than it used to be and there are many things that I just cannot eat as everything goes thru me so quickly and can come out as it went in within a half hour, I usually have to go while I am eating which is a different feeling! When I had the first resection it was not this way and only since having almost all the colon removed did it become this way, 4 inches of colon isn't enough to do much for you. All in all the resections were the best thing that could have happened, before them I was in so much pain and sick all the time that I just wanted to die, now I have hope that some day I will feel normal again (so to speak as I will never really be normal again as far as stool goes). Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

#12 ·
Diverticulosis is when small pockets form in the walls of the colon ("diverticuli"). It happens to most people as they get older. But only a small number have problems, and they become inflammed (called "diverticulitis" when there is inflammation)obstruction is exactly what it sounds like. When the intestine is obstructed, something blocks food from moving through. This can be because of the intestine twisting on itself, or (in my case) adhesions from previous surgery. It can happen in the large or small intestine, and can be partial or total. I have UC and I had all my colon taken out. I wouldn't reccomend it Your colon is your friend, be nice to it
Katie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.