Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I'm a 32 Yr old male living in the UK. I've always had a delicate gut but recently it's got a lot worse. It started 5 weeks ago with what i thought was a routine bug - banging headache, stomach ache and diarrhea. However once the headaches and the generally haziness of a bug passed my stomach has never returned to its normal self.I haven't been getting what i would consider any consistently serious pains i.e. doubling up and having to run to the toilet but the majority of the pain has been down either side of the abdomen, rather like a heavy stitch (a bit bloated i suppose) underneath the ribs. Having said that the pains will move around a bit to other parts of my gut from time to time. The pains are generally worse when I move about in comparison to being sat or laid down. My bowel movements have been very loose barring one or two solids combined with about 3 bouts of full-on diarrhea. The pains in my stomach don't seem to subside when i've had a bowel movement and I always have to go first thing in the morning and maybe two more times before early afternoon.This all coincided with me losing one of my best friends to cancer as well.I've been to the doctors and initially they tried me on buscopan but that didn't work. I went again last week and they took some blood tests for crohns etc and I'm waiting for those results. I've tried peppermint oil capsules but I think that made me much worse as I had very bad diarrhea and excruciating abdominal pains (last night). I'm cutting down on some dairy products but I would also consider myself to have a pretty good and balanced diet.Last night i was particularly bad after the peppermint capsules (I think) and its beginning to become a concern for me. I'm constantly checking my stools for blood (nice!) but I'm not sure I'd be able to see it anyway - I think I'm going to go back to the doctors and get a stool testing kit (?!) which can pick up traces of blood (has anyone else done this?). My doctor has ruled out a colonoscopy for now as I'm "too young" for bowel cancer - I know this isn't true but at the same time i know they work of statistics. With my friend passing away i suppose i'm getting a little concerned and would appreciate if any of these symptoms sound similar to people who had had all the sinister stuff ruled out!I must add as well that during these last 5 weeks i have had two 3 or 4 day periods of what i would consider normal bowel movements but at the moment it is at its worst during the whole time period.Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well if half your family dies of bowel cancer before 50 you have a 50-50 chance of bowel cancer from 30-50.If your family isn't one with a bowel polyp disease your chances of colon cancer before 50 is very remote. It is a cancer of the elderly. There are other cancers that are common in younger people, but some cancers are cancers young people get and some cancers tend to come with age.IBS is common after a GI bug. Very few IBSers have constant rolling around moaning on the ground pain (I had some of the most severe pain I've seen reported and even mine wasn't at 10+ every moment of every day, IBS pain tends to come and go with colon activity so it is more common it comes and goes even if you are a bit achy all the time).Under the ribs is a common painful/discomfort spot for IBS as the bends under the ribs tend to be trouble spots.IBS pain can be worse with movement because the abdominal wall presses on the colon when you move.Peppermint can relax the sphincter at the stomach, so if the pain was kinda high it could be heartburn pain. Peppermint is known to make that much worse for some people.It takes 6 weeks of symptoms to really call it IBS, and having a few normal days is common in IBS. Many people have a few weeks of a "dodgy colon" as it heals up from a GI bug, it is when that doesn't fade after a month or so that you start thinking IBS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Kathleen I appreciate your quick response.My Grandad got bowel cancer at 80 so I realise that i'm in a very low risk group.My Mum has got IBS and her symptoms are quite different to mine i.e. never had a 5 week sustained period of discomfort and her pain is often in the lower bowel where the large meets the small intestine (I think!) so I was hoping others would be a bit like me.My latest flare up (since my last few days of normality) came after a curry two weeks ago and it just seems daft that it's not settled down again. Today the discomfort seems to be higher up in between the two ribs. I'm avoiding spices at all costs now and also looking at other areas of my diet. I start a new job soon as well and am conscious of this in the back of my mind, coupled with the general concern of what is actually wrong with me I realise that these thoughts won't be helping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again,Last week for four days I had solid stools about once a day but the pain and discomfort was always there still.Does this sound normal? I'm back to loose BM's again at the moment.Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You can still have pain even if you can force the stool consistency back to normal for awhile. It isn't the stool consistency that causes the pain in any direct way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts