Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered this website and joined the group today. I've been tortured by morning diarrhea daily for the past 4 months. No matter what I eat, how much I sleep or rest, I'm guaranteed a loose bowel in the morning with discomfort. It only deprives me of appetite, but also makes the entire life tasteless. My doctor told me to relax, and take Immodium when it gets worse. I'm on Immodium on and off for 4 months! And it's come to a point that whenever I don't take Immodium it gets worse. I'm afraid I grow entirely dependent on Immodium and can't live without it. Anyone has similar syndromes and suggestions as to what to do?

· Registered
1,478 Posts
yes, there are people with the same issues. I've never gone that long, but I have IBS C/D which means I alternate between diarhea and constipation. I have had though weeks at a time with daily D. Ugh.First, immodium is safe to take daily from all I've heard and read, including from my doctor. So don't worry about taking it if you need it. Second, take your time and read through this board for ways other people have learned to cope with IBS. There are a number of ways - different approaches for different people since IBS differs. Hopefully, you will find something for you. Ask lots of questions. Just a few ideas for what seems to work from what I've read - calcium carbonate for IBS D, food intolerance issues (LEAP program has a lot of support), hypnotherapy (check the hypno and CBT link below), medications including anti-anxiety and anti-depressants. Personally, I've had pretty good luck with calcium/magnesium (magnesium loosens you up so this might not be good for you) and hypno.take care and good luck. you will find a lot of helpful, supportive people here. And almost no one who will tell you to "just relax"nancy

· Registered
1,478 Posts
yes, there are people with the same issues. I've never gone that long, but I have IBS C/D which means I alternate between diarhea and constipation. I have had though weeks at a time with daily D. Ugh.First, immodium is safe to take daily from all I've heard and read, including from my doctor. So don't worry about taking it if you need it. Second, take your time and read through this board for ways other people have learned to cope with IBS. There are a number of ways - different approaches for different people since IBS differs. Hopefully, you will find something for you. Ask lots of questions. Just a few ideas for what seems to work from what I've read - calcium carbonate for IBS D, food intolerance issues (LEAP program has a lot of support), hypnotherapy (check the hypno and CBT link below), medications including anti-anxiety and anti-depressants. Personally, I've had pretty good luck with calcium/magnesium (magnesium loosens you up so this might not be good for you) and hypno.take care and good luck. you will find a lot of helpful, supportive people here. And almost no one who will tell you to "just relax"nancy

· Registered
169 Posts
painful, you aren't alone at all! i have had the same problem for a long time now, i don't mean to scare you but, i have had this for about 9 years. i origionally started with this when a dr told me to try medimusil at night before i went to bed just to keep things "in tact". dummy me thought this would help! this type of remedy was a total mistake cuz, it made me body totally out of wack! i have ibs-d and back then the drs just wanted to take tests and stick things everywhere! well, obviously he didn't know what the hell he was talking about! i take 2 immodium in the mornings when i feel i can't controll the "urge". and honestally, i try to "hold it in" and try self controll. and believe me it's hard alot! I WORK ON AN ASSEMBLY LINE AND PRAY I CAN GET A BREAK WHEN THE INSTANT HITS! i know this is not what you wanted to hear, i also was hoping for a quick fix but, i don't believe there is one! maybe some else will have another option cuz, i'm so very tired of the quessing!

· Registered
169 Posts
painful, you aren't alone at all! i have had the same problem for a long time now, i don't mean to scare you but, i have had this for about 9 years. i origionally started with this when a dr told me to try medimusil at night before i went to bed just to keep things "in tact". dummy me thought this would help! this type of remedy was a total mistake cuz, it made me body totally out of wack! i have ibs-d and back then the drs just wanted to take tests and stick things everywhere! well, obviously he didn't know what the hell he was talking about! i take 2 immodium in the mornings when i feel i can't controll the "urge". and honestally, i try to "hold it in" and try self controll. and believe me it's hard alot! I WORK ON AN ASSEMBLY LINE AND PRAY I CAN GET A BREAK WHEN THE INSTANT HITS! i know this is not what you wanted to hear, i also was hoping for a quick fix but, i don't believe there is one! maybe some else will have another option cuz, i'm so very tired of the quessing!

· Registered
14,050 Posts
Welcome Painful, Many people here have D like you describe and many of them have found ways to manage their symptoms. Check this thread out; it talks about using Calcium supplements to manage D: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...42;t=000001;p=1 The best thing I did for myself was learn about IBS. I kept reading here and kept asking questions. So don't give up. We may not have a cure for IBS but symptom management IS possible.
BQ

· Registered
14,050 Posts
Welcome Painful, Many people here have D like you describe and many of them have found ways to manage their symptoms. Check this thread out; it talks about using Calcium supplements to manage D: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...42;t=000001;p=1 The best thing I did for myself was learn about IBS. I kept reading here and kept asking questions. So don't give up. We may not have a cure for IBS but symptom management IS possible.
BQ

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Welcome to the BB...isn't it "nice" to know you aren't alone?I had really bad D for a year. I wasn't able to take Immodium for allergy reasons, nor any other antiD stuff. I found that relaxation techniques, my antidepressants and things like that helped me. I still have the odd IBS attack, but not like before. Like you, my IBS attacks mainly occurred in the morning. I don't know if your job is stressful, but you may want to look at your lifestyle in general to see if there is anything there you can do. A diet to see what your trigger foods is also very helpful.Good luck to you!

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Welcome to the BB...isn't it "nice" to know you aren't alone?I had really bad D for a year. I wasn't able to take Immodium for allergy reasons, nor any other antiD stuff. I found that relaxation techniques, my antidepressants and things like that helped me. I still have the odd IBS attack, but not like before. Like you, my IBS attacks mainly occurred in the morning. I don't know if your job is stressful, but you may want to look at your lifestyle in general to see if there is anything there you can do. A diet to see what your trigger foods is also very helpful.Good luck to you!

· Registered
1,435 Posts
What will help you depends on what's causing your symptoms. Antidepressants and hypnotherapy help if it's a nervous system dysfunction. I know more about food intolerance since that's what I have. It can cause chronic D, and if you also have allergy-like symptoms such as headaches, congestion, itchy nose, ears or throat, or rashes, those are indicators of food intolerance or allergy.If your problem is from food intolerance, this is the link to the LEAP program. There's a form for you to fill out, and they will evaluate it to see if their program is likely to help you.www.leapallergy.comAlso this book is available at most libraries. It was written for lay people and it's very clear and explains everything about food intolerance.FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICATIONAND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and EnvironmentalMedicine, Kings' College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903

· Registered
1,435 Posts
What will help you depends on what's causing your symptoms. Antidepressants and hypnotherapy help if it's a nervous system dysfunction. I know more about food intolerance since that's what I have. It can cause chronic D, and if you also have allergy-like symptoms such as headaches, congestion, itchy nose, ears or throat, or rashes, those are indicators of food intolerance or allergy.If your problem is from food intolerance, this is the link to the LEAP program. There's a form for you to fill out, and they will evaluate it to see if their program is likely to help you.www.leapallergy.comAlso this book is available at most libraries. It was written for lay people and it's very clear and explains everything about food intolerance.FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICATIONAND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and EnvironmentalMedicine, Kings' College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.